Dark Alliance - 20 Minutes of Gameplay - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dark Alliance - 20 Minutes of Gameplay

Default Dark Alliance - 20 Minutes of Gameplay

April 30th, 2021, 14:30
DSOGaming reports that Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance has a new 20 minute gameplay video courtesy of IGN.

IGN has shared a video for the upcoming co-op action roleplaying game, Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance, showcasing 20 minutes of gameplay footage from it.

[…]

loading…

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

April 30th, 2021, 15:46
Yikes this game looks like a terrible mess. The AI seems clueless, the collision detection is all over the place, animations have an amateurish feeling and are desynced… all the apples put in the "let's play Drizzt cus it's cool" basket and nothing else.

You can count me as someone that will avoid even thinking that there was an action DnD game called Dark Alliance that got released in 2021.

I can't believe they've been making us believe that it took 20 years to make the next Baldur's Gate because they wanted the right studio to carry on the legacy of a great IP, while they are peddling the most iconic DnD party around like this.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

April 30th, 2021, 16:16
It's an DnD action game enough said. If all you like are Turn-based or RTwP versions of DnD then I'm afraid say the game is not for you. Just move on and play BG III.

I also remember playing the PS2 versions which were action games.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
+1:

April 30th, 2021, 17:43
Yup, not for me. That's fine, the turn based games are being pumped out so quickly now I scarcely have a chance to visit classics these days! Who knows, perhaps this might even get the ye-olde turn-based upgrade at some point! =p

And no, that's not a complaint. Far from it

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

April 30th, 2021, 17:56
I really enjoyed the original Dark Alliance games - though there was much less choice in games back in those days. This seems like it could be an ok third person reimagining of it - though I agree the AI does not look good and I hate the camera shake (hopefully that can be turned off). Hopefully the game is still to get more polish and improvements… it could be worth keeping an eye imo.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

April 30th, 2021, 17:57
To be fair, I'm not even ranting about it not being a proper RPG. My post is about how bad it is even as an action game, and how little respect it shows for the lore of the setting. It's true there are older Dark Alliance games that probably weren't much better, action button-mashers with little to no story behind, but seeing that gameplay with Drizzt, Bruenor and company, together with the bits we saw about the beholder is kinda insulting and diminishing for the whole IP.

Nereida

April 30th, 2021, 19:56
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
To be fair, I'm not even ranting about it not being a proper RPG. My post is about how bad it is even as an action game, and how little respect it shows for the lore of the setting. It's true there are older Dark Alliance games that probably weren't much better, action button-mashers with little to no story behind, but seeing that gameplay with Drizzt, Bruenor and company, together with the bits we saw about the beholder is kinda insulting and diminishing for the whole IP.
Wasn't the Dark Alliance 2 story quite cool?
--
blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
Bothka:
Ihr habt solche DRM Shops groß gemacht, indem ihr Steam als Vorreiter groß gemacht habt. Ihr könnt also mal alle gepflegt die Gusch' halten.

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

April 30th, 2021, 20:57
Ok look, I want to beleive the developers have read all 30+ books, but honestly, I'm not seeing the expected iconic moves for each character… The characters do have some kool looking attacks, but understand, we want their iconic moves too, and we wanmt to make a big deal out of them… like Drizzt needs to be doing his corkscrew attacks and his center kick beneath parries, Wulfgar needs to be throwing Aegis Fang, and when he does, its massive damage and we expect that hammer to disappear and reappear in his hand… Cattie Brie, I actually approve of her moves, as her moves aren't really that detailed from the books, and Bruener, he needs more shield bashes. more defined strength behind his swings, and a shit ton of life, cause he never goes down… and these are just a few ideas… I dont know, i wish this game the best of luck, cause what I really want, is a movie about these characters… LOL

korynael

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 30th, 2021, 21:04
I see my reaction of WTF was not out of line then. Looks like the D&D license is going the way of Warhammer. Come one come all and have a kick at the can.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

April 30th, 2021, 22:16
This footage looks a little better than my impression from that first trailer, but I still wouldn't consider getting it.

The goblins/orcs look very Peter Jackson-ish.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 00:04
Looks like a competent enough hack 'n' slash game, much like the originals [but flashed up for current gen, obv].
The type of game where I'll wait for bargain basement prices and buy a couple of copies for the co-op roster.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 03:50
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I see my reaction of WTF was not out of line then. Looks like the D&D license is going the way of Warhammer. Come one come all and have a kick at the can.
Yep.
This abomination has them raking it in…

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6…gotten_Realms/
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

May 1st, 2021, 04:36
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Yep.

Good Lord. That might be a new record for despicable amounts of DLC.

Poor Minsc and Boo.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 05:17
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Good Lord. That might be a new record for despicable amounts of DLC.

Poor Minsc and Boo.
Holy shit. ~$980 NZD of DLC. Abomination indeed.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 05:53
Yep.

R$ 1.556,77 of DLC, just bought them all.
Now I just have to figure out how to pay the credit card bill when it flies my way.

axellslade

No Title Please

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 06:23
Well I recognize the characters from the old Icewind Dale books, but that's about as close to the table-top game as it gets. Plenty of flashy effects and dodge moves, but in the end it's mostly about grinder skirmishes. There's barely a hint of teamwork.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 09:00
Boring. If I wanted this kind of crap I'd play a MMO like Neverwinter. It looks linear and uninteresting.

Pappy

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 1st, 2021, 15:15
Maybe it could be ok if the camera shakes were turned off and the strange snapy camera. But i guess it's online game?! So it doesn't even get on my radar thx to that single reason.

Dolby

Watcher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 3rd, 2021, 11:19
Yep.

Funnily enough, this is Epic Game Store's "freebie" of the week.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

May 3rd, 2021, 13:15
I thought that game is free to play, they just abuse you all the way to the Forgotten Realms with paid DLCs that give you access to all the cool characters and stuff.

Nereida

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dark Alliance - 20 Minutes of Gameplay