Solasta - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

For such games I have created a little island in the bookmarks section of my browser: "Needs Big Monitor!"
It'll be a 27" 1080p first then a bigger TV-size, but still relatively low-res, so I can see the pixel dots. Retro-forever!

For such games I have created a little island in the bookmarks section of my browser: "Needs Big Monitor!"
It'll be a 27" 1080p first then a bigger TV-size, but still relatively low-res, so I can see the pixel dots. Retro-forever!

I have a 32" QHD and I want a 38" :)

You guys are making me feel inadequate with my 24 incher. ;)

Good review. He addressed pretty much everything without spending too much time on any one aspect. The length is also about perfect for a video review imo.

I’ve been gaming for 7 years on a couple different 17 inch gaming laptops….I almost settled for the 15 for the latest but decided to splurge on the bigger 17 incher…

I have a 55” tv for my monitor. It’s absolutely beautiful for games, excellent detail and clear crisp text but for web browsing the text is not great. Must be a browser thing?

I have a 55” tv for my monitor. It’s absolutely beautiful for games, excellent detail and clear crisp text but for web browsing the text is not great. Must be a browser thing?

It's actually a TV thing. These activities aren't good on a TV, doesn't matter how high definition the TVs are. Monitors have distinct technologies that are more adequate for PC use, while TVs are best suited for movies and gaming (and not so great for reading).

I have a 55" tv for my monitor. It's absolutely beautiful for games, excellent detail and clear crisp text but for web browsing the text is not great. Must be a browser thing?
It's actually a TV thing. These activities aren't good on a TV, doesn't matter how high definition the TVs are. Monitors have distinct technologies that are more adequate for PC use, while TVs are best suited for movies and gaming (and not so great for reading).
The biggest problem is chroma subsampling. The industry standard for TV/movies is 4:2:0, which throws out a lot of color data and will make fonts look terrible. To get full picture quality when using a TV as a computer monitor you have to ensure the TV you're using supports 4:4:4 input and that it's enabled on the particular input you're using, oftentimes this involves turning on some kind of "PC mode". This article has some background info: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
If your TV doesn't support 4:4:4, it will never look good.

Beyond that, another common problem is subpixel rendering, since a lot of TVs don't use the expected R-G-B subpixel layout that almost all computer monitors do. Bring up the "Adjust ClearType text" control panel in Windows, and for starters, try just turning off ClearText entirely to see if that improves things. If it does, you can try turning ClearType back on and going through the tuning process in that control panel instead, and see if you can get a workable config. Or just leave it off if that ends up being best.

The biggest problem is chroma subsampling. The industry standard for TV/movies is 4:2:0, which throws out a lot of color data and will make fonts look terrible. To get full picture quality when using a TV as a computer monitor you have to ensure the TV you're using supports 4:4:4 input and that it's enabled on the particular input you're using, oftentimes this involves turning on some kind of "PC mode". This article has some background info: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

Beyond that, another common problem is subpixel rendering, since a lot of TVs don't use the expected R-G-B subpixel layout that almost all computer monitors do. Bring up the "Adjust ClearType text" control panel in Windows, and for starters, try just turning off ClearText entirely to see if that improves things. If it does, you can try turning ClearType back on and going through the tuning process in that control panel instead, and see if you can get a workable config. Or just leave it off if that ends up being best.

Yeah, that. I wouldn't know how to explain all of this :lol:

Yes, it supports 4:4:4 ( LG CX OLED)

I looked in to it and found out the problem was old age. I forgot when I installed windows I pumped the browser text up to 175% because it was too small to read from 6 feet away. :lol:

alright, i cant fight it anymore. gooble-gobble-one-of-us

I've been holding off due to backlog/people moaning about bugs, but I need a turn based game to sink my teeth into, and this looks like it fits the bill.

alright, i cant fight it anymore. gooble-gobble-one-of-us

I've been holding off due to backlog/people moaning about bugs, but I need a turn based game to sink my teeth into, and this looks like it fits the bill.

It's a good game and definitely worth playing, but the more you play it the more the "is this is some old bullshit or what?" syndrome starts to kick in. They haven't put enough effort into sorting out the dice rolls algorithm and some of the encounter design is somewhat pants. The pacing of loot is off and it's difficult to understand some of the decisions that were made in the above, particularly after such a long period of open beta testing.

I think some of the issues are with 5e D&D as much as with the developers for some things, but then its up to the devs to make a game that suits 5e, not to try and force a gameplay agenda onto 5e.

The pacing of loot is off and it's difficult to understand some of the decisions that were made in the above, particularly after such a long period of open beta testing.
They did a closed balancing test with volunteers, I wasn't in it but it seemed very short and last minute. When they announced that I thought they'd still take at least 3 months before releasing the game but it was about one month only.

They surely had a good reason to rush it out but that was obviously too short. They seemed to work pretty hard to solve issues, but then I saw this: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1096530/announcements/detail/5391352763132294661

... and in particular that:
For now we're done with our first round of Hotfixes, and we'll disappear for some times in order to prepare... The Sorcerer Update! As those of you who followed us since Kickstarter already know, we promised the Sorcerer Class as a free post-launch DLC - and we intend to follow up on that promise!

Working on a Sorcerer will take some time, which is why we can't afford as a small team to keep testing and releasing hotfixes while doing so - but worry not, we will still be working on small improvements and fixes while getting the Sorcerer ready. Things such as the Tome of Understanding not working will be properly fixed with the Sorcerer Update as well!
So I hope the most serious bugs have been fixed.

Back
Top Bottom