ROGUELIKE - The Battle for the definition - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ROGUELIKE - The Battle for the definition

Default ROGUELIKE - The Battle for the definition

June 9th, 2021, 09:25
PC Gamer looks at the battle for the definition of a roguelike in the roguelike community.

[…]

"We had a perfectly fine term for this genre for a couple decades and there is a certain loss of identity when a mainstream majority starts using that term to mean something rather different and we can no longer use it to have the same meaning it once had, at least not without considering the audience," says Ge. "That's part of what got us here in the first place, that there is no one clear definition of what a roguelike is, so it's naturally evolving over time based on its use by different parties, and the speed of that evolution has accelerated considerably in the last five years!"

That point is echoed by Darren Grey, another moderator of the r/roguelike subreddit who also hosts the Roguelike Radio podcast. He made a point that forced me to consider how the emerging mainstream interpretation of the genre might be more incongruous with the original text than us normies fully understand. Grey was first drawn to roguelikes because he never had any interest in twitchy, input-heavy games. Not now, and not when he first started gaming. "I'm a conservative in terms of games I like. I have close to zero interest in anything that requires reflexes," he says. "Such games just don't do it for me, except maybe in social settings." With that in mind, consider how someone like Grey would receive Enter The Gungeon--a bullet hell gauntlet that asks for precise dodges, marksmanship, and cover negotiation--when it gets christened as a roguelike. If Grey considers that to be heresy, I'm not going to be the person who tells him he's wrong.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 12:01
As long as you can get in the situation where you die and there is nothing else you can do about it, that is rogue-like.

domein

Vintage Brewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 06:45
Roguelike

noun
  • A type of game unlikely to be played by JDR13

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 08:05
But for my money, there is no community more insoluble than that of roguelike grognards.
They've not gone to rpg forums, have they ?

I enjoy some rogue likes but probably only the ones the purists don't really consider to be true ones like FTL and Slay The Spire. More recent fun one was Star Renegades.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 08:12
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I enjoy some rogue likes but probably only the ones the purists don't really consider to be true ones like FTL and Slay The Spire. More recent fun one was Star Renegades.
Same. I never tried STS, but I played FTL quite a bit when it was released.

My favorite though is Sword of the Stars: The Pit. I think it's pretty close to a true roguelike, but it's the only one like that I really enjoyed.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
+1:

June 10th, 2021, 09:26
20 hours into Tainted Grail now and still loving that. I just "beat" it for the first time. Very addicting.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
+1:

June 10th, 2021, 10:45
I don't know what counts as a roguelike, because the definition feels a bit obscure to me, basically "you suck and die because the game is tuned to be impossible to beat, but you slowly get upgrades through every run that get you to the point where you can win".

And by that definition, I feel Dungeons of Dredmor is the one I've had most fun with. I tend to enjoy roguelikes in general, if the mechanics and "progression" feel right. sometimes they even have a compelling story to tell, like the recentish Hades (another game I recommend!).

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 17:09
It's like Rogue.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 19:18
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
but you slowly get upgrades through every run that get you to the point where you can win".
That's something I noticed in more recent games but in most older roguelike, you didn't have any upgrade. You won because you got better at the game… or because or you got lucky with the dungeons :-)

The one I remember playing the most was Angband. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angband_(video_game)

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 19:38
Yeah Dungeons of Dredmor itself didn't have any upgrades that carried over from one playthrough to the next. Only your experience and knowledge of the game carried over until you finally managed to get good enough to win.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 21:12
Dungeons of Dredmor was a game I snatched up the moment it released, feels like it was about ten years ago. Lots of fun back then, I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about it now, though. Maybe I'll put that to the test!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 21:33
Great we still can't come to a consensus on what is an RPG. Now we have this.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ROGUELIKE - The Battle for the definition