Watch in trouble? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Watch in trouble?

Default Watch in trouble?

May 1st, 2015, 11:42
Couchpotato seems to have a new site and new forum.
Fluent wants his own google+ community.

What's going on? Do someone want to go their separate ways since they don't agree with the some other people stance and opinions?
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#1

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,427
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 12:58
Yeah, the end is nigh.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10,207
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 13:17
I'm just pissed I didn't get an invite. I must be in the doghouse.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#3

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 13:31
Ripper, you (and everyone else, for that matter) are more than welcome to join my Google+ community.

(I'm a social media newb and can barely navigate Google+, but I try )

It's just a little RPG community on Google+. So far there's been some news posted, a few videos, various artwork and desktop wallpapers and things like that.

So, come on over and join the fun! (But don't look at it like Google+ community vs. RPGWatch. That's just silly.)

Deleted User

Guest

#4

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 14:02
There is certainly enough space for more RPG sites out there, but I'm very happy with this. It didn't fall into the trap of sticking to just one RPG type (like d&d based sorcerers.net) nor it undermined itself with MMO and inferior designs games (consoles/phones).

If it ever dies, I'll probably just move to NMA.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#5

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,163
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 14:17
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Yeah, the end is nigh.
If you say all is well then I am happy but I have seen some heated debates around here lately and then all of sudden people have their own sites and whats not so was bit worried as I like this place and don't want it split up etc
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,427
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 15:00
I don't foresee this site getting split up. I can't speak for Couch, but I expect he will continue posting news here, in my community and on his private forum.

For myself, I will continue to write articles for the 'Watch, but perhaps save the videos I make for my Google+ community. I haven't fully decided that yet. But I still plan on contributing here, of course.

I don't think anything is really changing on my end.

Personally, I'm just experimenting in ways to use social media to attract RPG fans. I think my Google+ community will benefit the 'Watch in the long run as well, as I hope to send members from my community over here as well.

So really, it's just "the more, the merrier", for me.

Deleted User

Guest

#7

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 18:04
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Couchpotato seems to have a new site and new forum.
Fluent wants his own google+ community.

What's going on? Do someone want to go their separate ways since they don't agree with the some other people stance and opinions?
No the the end is not coming as Myrthos joked about above.

I just started my own little forum to talk about different topics with other people. Your all invited to join if you want. I will still be posting news, and articles on this site for now.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#8

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,368
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2015, 19:12
Can't help thinking that the young turks are getting hacked off with taking flak from the old farts…
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#9

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 00:32
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Can't help thinking that the young turks are getting hacked off with taking flak from the old farts…
Well I wont deny that as we all have different opinions on how the site should move forward. Still I'm not going anywhere yet just trying something new on the side.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#10

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,368
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 00:50
Do you know if the data from that forum service can be exported to regular forum software? I've seen people burned that way, and if your forum is a success, you will almost certainly want to migrate at some point.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#11

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 00:55
Yes Ripper there are ways to export data from the board though the service provider doesn't like when you do it. It just takes a little time, and effort to do so.

The other option is to pay a small one time fee to the provider to get the data.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#12

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,368
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 07:54
Splitting forces of an already niche group is not a good idea (we have only 450 users with more than 100 post since 2006).

I like RPGWatch as an
  • independent,
  • mature,
  • non-commercial niche site
  • made by volunteers.
With a focus on
  • CRPGs and games with some CRPG elements
  • PC-platform
  • singleplayer games
  • CRPG news

We all have interests in the same genre, but of course we have different opinions about games or news posts.
Linking to other private sites by some users/staff gives the impression to new users that the community is already divided. Which IMHO is not good for the goal to lure new users to the Watch.
And please stay with RPGWatch as a site for hobbyists. Going too big and commercial was the begin of the end of RPGDot.com.
Don't make a job out of your hobby. Because then your hobby will become just another job.
HiddenX is online now

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 14,070
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 11:12
I agree with our spy…
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

#14

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,147
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 15:31
Excuse me Mr. Hidden X, but if people look at it as "A House Divided DLC", that's their problem, not mine. I have made it clear I plan on staying with the 'Watch as I love it here, but I'm trying new things, just like Couchpotato is.

I'll admit, I have dreams of having my own site, I always have, since many years ago as being a musician and wanting to promote my music. Perhaps when I raise enough funds to do that, I will. But that doesn't mean it's "FLUENT vs. RPGWatch", and that will never be the case.

It's about sharing my passion with as many people as possible, and using new avenues to spread the good word of PC RPG gaming, something which I think everyone here can get on board with.

Deleted User

Guest

#15

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 15:33
Watchers, Codex is more than willing to accept you into our generous fold(s).
Andhaira is offline

Andhaira

Watchdog

#16

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 15:48
Originally Posted by Andhaira View Post
Watchers, Codex is more than willing to accept you into our generous fold(s).
You should perhaps replace that d with an k ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 19,995
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 16:58
i guess i missed some major drama? should i scan thru P&R?
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 5,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 17:07
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
I like RPGWatch as an…
In my case, independent and non-commercial makes it top site. I may not agree with everything or with the majority, but at least I know their opinions were not sold.

Originally Posted by Andhaira View Post
Watchers, Codex is more than willing to accept you into our generous fold(s).
No thank you. When I need do do some heavy trolling I'm on EA, Ubi and other official game sites, when I need raging and ragequiting, League of Legends is unbeatable.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#19

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,163
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2015, 17:25
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
i guess i missed some major drama? should i scan thru P&R?
Nah - it was just a flap in the thread about paid mods

Hidden x makes a valid point - more RPG sites is not necessarily a good thing, as dilution is surely a factor. I wouldn't worry though, as I don't think the conditions are in place to drive a significant migration from the Watch.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#20

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,421
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Watch in trouble?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:27.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch