Rogues and Fighters - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Larian Studios » Divinity Original Sin 2 » Rogues and Fighters

Default Rogues and Fighters

November 6th, 2015, 21:42
If you feel something is lacking with the melee characters in D:OS, namely the fighter and the rogue, feel free to chime in here.

Now seems to be a good time to do so, with Larian asking for player Input on skills.

Sacred_Path

Mentioned: Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 10:49
I am ok with how fighters work but I do find rogues underwhelming in combat.In tactical mode rogue requires too much babysitting from mages or he gets easily focused down quickly.It's most likely that I don't know how to play him properly but I find 2 differently specialized fighters far more efficient.

Nameless one

Wizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 10:59
Backstabbing with high criticals, teleporting, get every chest open, find every trap - rogues rule IMHO. Just play them the right way. I'm playing with a Rogue and a Shadowblade and fighting is really fun after building them up a few levels.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
+1:

November 8th, 2015, 12:52
I think that with the limited character building of D:OS, no two characters should play alike. The rogue and fighter are too similar right now. They should be dedicated support characters IMO with traps and gadgets.

Sacred_Path

March 10th, 2016, 22:55
Wow, if anything rogues were overpowered. My rogue was the highest DPS in my party by far.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

March 10th, 2016, 23:25
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Wow, if anything rogues were overpowered. My rogue was the highest DPS in my party by far.
I wasn't arguing for buffing rogues, I wanted them to be mechanically different. I haven't followed the development of D:OS 2 closely but I did register they created some new skill trees. One idea was a 'trap master' or something of the sort. That's pretty much what I imagined for the rogue.

Sacred_Path

September 20th, 2017, 16:34
I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know the full potential of rogues with access to their best skills and unique daggers, etc.

I'm running Sebille and have 2 points in huntsman for first aid and tactical retreat with the rest in Scoundrel. Their usefulness just depends on the target. The Scoundrels are extremely fast and with the added mobility from Tactical Retreat she has no trouble chasing down archers and taking out low armour targets quickly. She's even picked up +3 warfare from items and can do a few fighter moves like cripple. The thing about critical multiplier is that it will really shine later in the game when you have some critical chance items going.

Sneaking and Thievery are excellent.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

September 20th, 2017, 16:51
On your rogue IMO you should add pyro 1 with haste spell to (ab)use till tactical retreat cools down.

I'm not using rogue at all, but I do use two fighters in my party, one carrying 2H for enormous damage and another who tanks with a shield. Silent monks and low physical armor trashmobs cannot survive them two.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)

September 20th, 2017, 19:45
You don't need a rogue to detect traps or open chests. Actually while wit is useful for archers (as well as rogue); thievery for chest has no class benefits.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

September 21st, 2017, 01:49
Originally Posted by you View Post
You don't need a rogue to detect traps or open chests. Actually while wit is useful for archers (as well as rogue); thievery for chest has no class benefits.
Lucky Charm is what you want for chests.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

+1:

September 21st, 2017, 04:13
Yeah the Trix to opening chests is Lucky Charm. Cheerio, everyone
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

September 21st, 2017, 20:58
I can't tell you how many legendary items i've gotten due to high luck (stat). I think I'm up to 10ish and only level 12.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
+1:

September 21st, 2017, 21:17
Yup - basically you need a team specialized in civil:
- persuasion (best combined with pet pal)
- thievery (pick locks and pickpocket)
- luck (loot)
- barter (to sell crap for more $)
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 21st, 2017, 21:29
I haven't bothered with luck on my party, I don't pickpocket and I don't craft stuff just to sell it either. Looting stuff (no stealing) is enough to give me the money I need for skillbooks and gear. I even have 30k now after my shopping last night to get some new gear and sold the stuff I got from a dungeon crawl (I had 20k before going to shop).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 21st, 2017, 23:15
One thing I noticed with Lucky Charm is that the item level of the loot you find is related to the area you're in and not your player level.

My party is level 12 and ended up on Bloodmoon Island and were getting level 15 items from vases.

At first I was extremely pleased there was no level requirement to use these items but then I noticed I only had 40% chance to hit, so it's not quite as fun and exploitable as I was hoping.

Not sure if there's a penalty on wearing higher level armour or not.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2017, 11:55
Store offers scale to your level. Loot, thank god, doesn't.

There is no penalty. How do I know?
I haven't been to the area you talk about, but I was level 13 when I killed the bridge troll and the witch who were both level 15 - one of them or perhaps both drop level 15 items. How did I do them? Hints:
Spoiler

Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I haven't bothered with luck on my party, I don't pickpocket and I don't craft stuff just to sell it either. Looting stuff (no stealing) is enough to give me the money I need for skillbooks and gear. I even have 30k now after my shopping last night to get some new gear and sold the stuff I got from a dungeon crawl (I had 20k before going to shop).
It's not about $. Well, not entirely.

With high luck, I got so many stuff that fit my personal requirements. I usually can't find what exact equipment I want in stores. For example the equipment on my archer needs to have +1 or more on at least one of these:
- finesse
- ranged
- huntsman
- crit. chance
If it doesn't have it, it can rot for all I care, even if it provides 100 more of p/m defense.

With high thievery there is no lock I can't break and if I didn't pickpocket I'd miss some stuff I find awsome, an example is a diary I've already posted about on the first island. After you kill Alexandar and his group, one of his archers fled to nearby position, by the abandoned camp. When talked to, this archer will become hostile, you kill him, he drops nothing important. But you can pickpocket him and that way get his diary with a story reasoning his decision to join magisters in the first place. He will not drop this diary when killed.
Pickpocket is also one of ways to get proof on Driftwood murderer. Not the only way though, with wits high enough you'll detect the murderer's hidden stash.
Etc.
Simply put, while not mandatory, pickpocket is fun. Even if you won't do it, you still need thievery for picking locks.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; September 22nd, 2017 at 12:10.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 23rd, 2017, 01:13
Yes I'm playing without pickpocketing, feels to me too gamey (like, unless your thievery is high enough, it's a game of quick-reload if you get discovered which is too metagame for me). I don't even have a thievery person, closest is the skeleton whom I gave 1 point (and then equipment added another point) to lockpick chests and doors.

Loving the game so far (still haven't left Act 1, exploring the island is so much fun), but the game is crashing a lot on me, like every couple of hours, and randomly, in and out of combat.
Last edited by wolfing; September 23rd, 2017 at 01:24.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

September 23rd, 2017, 03:21
Eh? No reloading man. You sneak behind a victim if possible (sometimes it isn't possible) pickpocket skillbooks and $ then scram, that's it. Nothing else.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 23rd, 2017, 03:47
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
but the game is crashing a lot on me
You aren't doing barrelception?
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Larian Studios » Divinity Original Sin 2 » Rogues and Fighters