Risen Just started playing

WOW!! only into chapter two. I have no idea how long the chapters are, though the longer the better. Still not that great at the combat but getting by with a ton of saves.

In Gothic, G2 and Risen the first chapter is by far the longest.

Here's a tip to make the last 2 chapters or so more enjoyable. Not really a spoiler.
At some point you'll do a lot of dungeon crawling. This is interrupted one or two times by going back to the outside world. A lot of people complained they had spent the last XX hours inside of dungeons. Which was basically their own fault because they had already cleaned up the outside world. So leave yourself something to do for later.

Ah ok.. I was just curious. I like the art style. :)

I also like it, but I can't help thinking that grey beard is her dad, and they've just had words about her outfit.

Any tweaking tips for Risen? I have already modified the ini for better shadows and viewing distance. I'm now looking at how to increase the font size. I found Fluent's thread on the steam forums and tried the custom font installer to install Calibri bold. I don't notice any difference though, maybe that's because the font installer said it was already installed in the game.

I'm in harbor town at the moment. After a difficult start (dying 20 times to kill 5 wolves) the game is slowly starting to get me in its grip. It really breathes gothic 2 from what I remember.

I'm in harbor town and possible underleveled as it took quite some hammering to take Costa's bodyguard down. On top of that, in the axeman thread above Pladio had 30 strength when first entering harbor town and before joining a faction, I have 16 strength :) I was thinking of joining the order as warrior but now I'm not so sure anymore.

Mandatory screenshot:

Attachments

• 20190322232537_1.jpg
    20190322232537_1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 44
I'm loving it and I can't stop playing (life is suffering because of it). The graphics look better by the minute. Lighting is very good, just those once-in-a-while bad textures, low-poly objects and environments really detract from it all.

I went for an axe-wielding warrior of the order. It really clicked for me when doing the monastery quests and since then I'm unstoppable. Cleared the east and west coasts, got 5 of the 6 discs (only the pirate treasure left). I put 80 into strength and axe up till 6, nothing else. Amount of hand-holding is perfect. No obvious quest markers, just a dot on your map if you are lucky but always enough text in the journal to know what's next.

I should have played this sooner but the review scores put me off. So big thanks to the rpgwatch giveaway :) I'm already staking out Risen 2/3 and Elex. Elex looks great, so might skip over to that one immediately afterwards.

Fun facts:
- Wine is an ingredient of a health potion as it should be!
- Those jumping goblins are so cute!! :)
- Timing in combat is important. Chains are executed much faster which is crucial
- Exploration!
- Is it my imagination or do monsters respawn? :(
- Forgot most of what I wanted to say

Last edited:
Risen was a lot of fun. I just found the last few chapters a bit railroadey.

I finished risen 2 last year and plan to play risen 3 this year when I can find a week where I'm not too busy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reading this thread gave me a mood to replay the series since i havent done it since risen 3 came out; if outward turns out to be crap, its risen time :biggrin:

Finished it at level 26 in just about 32 hours. Enjoyed it a lot. Last chapters were railroadsey but still lots of fun dungeon crawling, and not that easy puzzle wise (requiring scrolls, a good deal of exploration, etc.). It is a bit of a pity that your skills don't really matter in the final fight. There was not too much to it. I was wondering, the hammer of the titan lord has a +6 axe skill. Does that mean I only had to get my axe skill up to 4 (+6 = 10) or does it stack beyond 10 (+6 = 16) for extra damage? Strength was 154. Wisdom a whopping 220 or so, but magic was useless as I had no mana and only level 3 fireball.

A lot to like in this game that is rarely found in modern games anymore. A difficult beginning with a weak character, and then a strong sense of your character getting stronger. The factions give a sense of belonging. Most importantly, no minimap makes it much easier to get immersed in the world, otherwise I start navigating using the minimap and quest markers. Now I actually appreciate the world more.

Only when you advance to a new chapter. Iirc, there are 4 chapters.
Indeed, also creatures are added but old ones don't respawn. And as the spawning is not time sensitive I can live with it. In fact it is probably one of the better approaches and even preferred over no respawning.

Back
Top Bottom