Rampant Games - An Explosion of Roguelikes

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Rampant Coyote has a new post on his blog talking about roguelike games, and the sudden influx of them lately.

Maybe it’s just my attention bias, as I consider roguelikes to be a subgenre of role-playing games, but it sure seems to me that there’s been an explosion of roguelike indie games lately. For years, it seemed that there were just a dozen or so ASCII-based roguelike codebases making the rounds, but now that it’s proven demonstrably possible to have a commercial indie roguelike succeed in the marketplace – from PC to console to mobile – things have gotten a little bit interesting. Now – again, it could simply be that the indie explosion is a tide that lifts all ships, roguelikes included, and the category isn’t growing significantly more than every other category under the sun in indie-dom. Still, there are more roguelikes out there or in development right now than I can track.
More information.

Imho, ccompared to other games, the development of them might be relatively easier to manage, I guess that's why there's so many of them.

The only thing even cheaper would be 2D sidescrollers or adventures, I guess ?

Yeah, I think you're right. It's often easier (or more satisfying) for small teams to write algorithms to generate content procedurally than to craft it all by hand.

Back
Top Bottom