Black Legend - Released

Seems that initial impressions aren't all peachy.
I need some more input before I buy.

No, stating ESRB M does not excuse potentially bad designs!

I played the demo and wasn't impressed. It's not terrible, but I thought it was very average in every aspect. The only thing I liked about it was the dark gothic atmosphere, but that alone doesn't carry the game.

The games... they never stop coming!

Yes, as per usual at the moment, a huge effort was put into the landscape and atmosphere, cut scenes and voice acting, but the game itself is a poor derivative in terms of its relative interest as a unique entity.

It copies Bloodborne with it's black and white tone and even has people talking at you from behind doors, and then combines that with a turn-based combat party-based system instead of having it real-time.

But for all the beauty of the environment, there's nothing to find in it, you just ignore it all and run through it. No loot, no random NPCs, no surprise monsters or any of that kind of thing. The loop is just convo-cut-scene then onto the next battle.

The inventories are tiny and consist of collecting basic consumables. Instead of having static classes the character becomes whichever class their equipment allows them to be, wear a leather jerkin and hold a dagger, you are now swapping to a rogue class, the more times you wear the rogue suit, the more combat skills you acquire for your rogue persona.

I mean, it does its thing and for some people this is going to be a perfectly ok game to play, especially if gotten for free. The idea of paying for it? I'm afraid it doesn't suggest there's something worth paying much for here. Playable, but not must-play kind of thing. One for if you have literally nothing else to play, which, as previously stated in the thread, is unlikely in current year.

Well, from the reviews I've watched, the turn-based combat looks pretty interesting with the humours system and does stand out from the crowd of many indie TBS games.

That said, it definitely has other issues that need fixing. For me, I'll keep an eye on this and take another peek in 6 months.

Agreed. And too few standout ones.

Welcome to the mainstream, gaming. Now, we're awash in spammed mediocrity, just like big Hollywood films.

Regarding this game, they didn't even show you the overland strategic layer, if there even is one. This could be just another waste-of-time, uninformative trailer, which are a dime a dozen, but developers are going to have to start showing me why they rise above our flood of mediocrity, why they're something more than a dime a dozen, if they want my money.

Back
Top Bottom