InXile Entertainment - Maybe Working on Steampunk RPG

I liked HBS's Shadowrun series, but I find the steampunk genre to be a nice idea in theory, but hard to make a good game from it….
I won't hold my breath

What does this have to do with InXile and steampunk? Two different companies.

Steampunk is 19th C retro SciFi

71odfntL0hL.jpg

From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon_Jules_Verne.jpg

air-ship.jpg

WWW_Steambot.pnghttp:

Steampunk, post-apocalyptic, fantasy, sci-fi... all old and tired. I'm looking for forward to more Accountant RPGs... adding numbers, searching for tax loopholes, outwitting IRS agents, working on your perfect comb-over!!

Now there's an unmined genre!! :biggrin:

Yea, not a fan of steampunk either. Is fantasy really that boring now? I don't think so. To me, fantasy genre is near inexhaustable in ideas as well as appeal.

Pathfinder 2: fantasy
Dragon Age 4: fantasy
Avowed: fantasy
Baldur's Gate 3: fantasy
Elder Scrolls VI: fantasy
Elden Ring: fantasy
Solasta and a million other indies: fantasy

Almost every RPG that is on the horizon is a fantasy RPG. Sorry not sorry that those of us who like play one more one genre will also have something different to play.

Not sure of the exact origin, but I'm pretty sure Steampunk is a lot older than Mad Max. I don't think the term became common until the late 80s or early 90s though.

Steampunk mostly originated from work by SF/Fantasy authors Tim Powers and Blaylock (James?) in the 80s.

Edit:
Just looked at Wikipedia and it was actually coined by K W Jeter:
It was coined by science fiction author K. W. Jeter, who was trying to find a general term for works by Tim Powers (The Anubis Gates, 1983), James Blaylock (Homunculus, 1986), and himself (Morlock Night, 1979, and Infernal Devices, 1987)

Should have remembered Jeter was a part of it in some way, given that I have both of the books mentioned.

I don't think it is the steampunk genre that flopped, more the iteration of it. We do have things like dishonored that show it can work.
Never said the genre flopped just the game I mentioned in my last post. Then I thanked a poster for sharing information, and I shared a link with more Steampunk games.:)

Steampunk mostly originated from work by SF/Fantasy authors Tim Powers and Blaylock (James?) in the 80s.

That's when the term was coined and books began to be overtly labeled as such, but the roots of Steampunk are widely considered to be much deeper, going back to actual Victorian era science fiction writers like Verne and Wells (it makes sense that their vision of the future would resemble their present, after all)

Steampunk, post-apocalyptic, fantasy, sci-fi… all old and tired. I'm looking for forward to more Accountant RPGs… adding numbers, searching for tax loopholes, outwitting IRS agents, working on your perfect comb-over!!

Now there's an unmined genre!! :biggrin:

Its Punkpunk I'm looking forward to. Certainly a very colourful genre with endless opportunities for very elaborate character creation aesthetic options.

That's when the term was coined and books began to be overtly labeled as such, but the roots of Steampunk are widely considered to be much deeper, going back to actual Victorian era science fiction writers like Verne and Wells (it makes sense that their vision of the future would resemble their present, after all)
Yes, the roots. But those aren't steampunk themselves, they just have a similar aesthetic to (and influenced) steampunk. They're precursors.
In the same way that cybernetics, VR, networking, etc in SF predate cyberpunk, but don't make those particular stories cyberpunk. They have elements that make them precursors to cyberpunk. (And interestingly, that term wasn't even termed by one of the biggies like Gibson or Sterling, but by Bruce Bethke, after the fact, much like Jeter did)*

*Edit: okay, wrong there too. My memory is shit.
First used by Bethke as a story title, Dozois picked it up as a term and ran with it.
(I've never read the Bethke story, but I tried to read Headcrash and failed to finish it.)

Last edited:
Didn't steampunk evolve from Mad Max?

I don't think so. I think it's essentially just sci-fi that's based on pre combustion engine technology. That style goes back a long way.

It seems too easy to punkify a term.
Steampunk (steam age). Dieselpunk (liquid fuels). What about Greenpunk (renewables?).
Grasspunk (hippies), digipunk (Digimon fan-fic with attitood), metapunk (punk about punk). Sheepunk (sheep farmers).

Yeah, I think it's a bit like Watergate - after that, every scandal is something-gate. I think they essentially did the same thing with cyberpunk, which is bit more of specific genre, where the punk aspect is meaningful.

It seems too easy to punkify a term.
Steampunk (steam age). Dieselpunk (liquid fuels). What about Greenpunk (renewables?).
Grasspunk (hippies), digipunk (Digimon fan-fic with attitood), metapunk (punk about punk). Sheepunk (sheep farmers).

Don't forget about Asspunk (Role-playing as Donald Trump).

Back
Top Bottom