RPGWatch Feature - GOTY2020 - Most Anticipated RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Next to the Best RPG of 2020, you also had the opportunity to vote for the most anticipated RPG of 2021, which as every year looks more promising than previous years. Check it out here.

More information.

Ha I called it in the other thread. So I'm not surprised once again. Shame none of you except me is interested it seems in Urban Strife. As I love Zombie TB RPG's.

Still I have some doubts that Elex 2 or Baldur's Gate III might release next year. Also not to nitpick maybe half of that top ten list will release next year given current news-bits.

I'd have System Shock a little higher, but that's very close to what my top 10 would be.

I'm more or less interested in all of those except for Colony Ship and KotC 2. My top 3 is the same, except Elex 2 is #1 for me.

I don't think things are looking good for Realms Beyond - I really doubt it will be released in 2021 (if at all).

Ha I called it in the other thread. So I'm not surprised once again. Shame none of you except me is interested it seems in Urban Strife. As I love Zombie TB RPG's.

Still I have some doubts that Elex 2 or Baldur's Gate III might release next year. Also not to nitpick maybe half of that top ten list will release next year given current news-bits.

I voted for Urban Strife as well. I think that and Encased are a bit underrepresented yet, but will have more fans once they are released. They are just not really hyped as much yet. Not that they would have any chance against BG3 anyways.

Personally didnt think that Elex2 was that popular. But thats definitely also I look forward to.

Well let's see which if the games will actually release, but I think 2021 has the potential to become a great year for RPGs...unlike 2020, where WL3 and Cyberpunk 2077 were the winners even though both had significant shortcomings.

Every year the most promising list of games looks better than the actual releases in the previous year and we are all convinced it is going to be a better year for RPGs than what we had the year before :)

I suspect that's because most anticipated will include up to three years worth of games and will have much looser criteria as to what's included (Elex 2 for example doesn't even have any screenshots yet to post next to its write-up).

Combined with the fact that we can imagine all in-production games to be perfect examples of their type.

I think the three games I voted on for last year's most anticipated haven't released yet and are in this years list again. Wait a mo, I'll go and double check:

Yes, last year's top 10:

1 Cyberpunk 2077
2 Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
3 Wasteland 3
4 Realms Beyond
5 Colony Ship - A Post-Earth Role Playing Game
6 Knights of the Chalice II
7 King's Bounty II
8 Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
9 System Shock (Remake)
10 The Waylanders

Five of which are also in this year's top 10.

Yes, Covid has played its part this year, but its not that unusual even in normal times.

I'm surprised too that Encased didn't make it to the top 10, they'll most probably be there at the end of the year.

(but then it was only 3 choices and I haven't voted for it either, it was close though)

I'm surprised too that Encased didn't make it to the top 10, they'll most probably be there at the end of the year.

(but then it was only 3 choices and I haven't voted for it either, it was close though)

Months ago Encased would have been high on my list but I haven't been getting the best vibes from that project. Doesn't seem like they're getting anywhere.

Looks more or less like what I'm looking for myself. I may be a bit of a rarity in that I was not a fan of Elex, and in my list, I'd skip Elex 2 and bump everything below up 1 slot to fill the gap, but given it gets so good rep, I'll make sure to give this Elex 2 a fair try.

Hey, at least my pick squeaked in at number nine, number nine, number nine, number...yeah! Honestly, it looks like it should be a swell year for gaming. =)

Not to be negative, but do you think that any of the top 3 will actually be released this year? (not a statement, a simple question)

We have discussed BG3 release schedule on many threads previously, so no more about that. I still think it will be released next year and it makes sense to polish the game. It is more complex and ambitious than D:OS2, which was in early access for a year.

As many point out, we have not seen anything about Elex 2 yet, except the announcement that the announcement will be postponed to 2021.

Pathfinder is in beta soon, but it is a complex game too and I believe Owlcat has learned from their previous mistake of releasing (a really, really great) game too early. I hope they'll release it when it is ready and a lot less buggy than the previous release (the beta testers know the status better).

So perhaps this year isn't going to be much better than the last one with respect to RPGs but there is hope ;)

Hmm..well my personal opinion.:p

BGIII -Small chance as the plan was originally for one year of Early Access subject to changing if needed. Like said already it's a bigger game then Divinity Original Sin II.

Elex 2- No chance it wasn't even officially announced. Though they can announce it this year with it's targeted release date. Sort of how Fallout 4 was released.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - A very good chance of releasing this year as they are almost finished with chapter 4 out of 6 and entering Beta. They are planning for a June release but I'd put my money on a fall/winter release instead.

Like I said my opinion take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Something else I just noticed ATOM RPG Trudograd didn't even make the top ten.

Man I'm so disappointed in you all.:p

Months ago Encased would have been high on my list but I haven't been getting the best vibes from that project. Doesn't seem like they're getting anywhere.
Is that the general impression you have by following them, or have you played and been disappointed by the gameplay? Just curious.

It was unknown to me until very recently, so I haven't followed the development. I've played it twice, just before and after the last major update.

It was a nice discovery, there are a lot of dialogs and a good variety of quests, the quality is quite good. The general atmosphere is well conveyed, though the music in some places is monotonous. The one problem I have with this game, which is even more obvious since the last update, is the overall balance in combat and skills, characters have become too specialized and I haven't found many companions to compensate that. And there are too many skills IMO. But they could still fix that part.

Something else I just noticed ATOM RPG Trudograd didn't even make the top ten.

Man I'm so disappointed in you all.:p
Heh, true enough, what I saw of ATOM RPG was not bad at all. But people prefer La'zael ;)

I agree with the BG3/Pathfinder probabilities of seeing a release (no idea about Elex 2). I hope Pathfinder won't be too long!

Heh, true enough, what I saw of ATOM RPG was not bad at all. But people prefer La'zael ;)

I still need to get around to playing ATOM. I checked it out back when it was still in EA and liked it, but it's been stuck in my backlog with so many other games.

It's pretty cool that we'll be able to import our character from the first game into Trudograd. There aren't enough games that do that anymore.

I still need to get around to playing ATOM. I checked it out back when it was still in EA and liked it, but it's been stuck in my backlog with so many other games.

It's pretty cool that we'll be able to import our character from the first game into Trudograd. There aren't enough games that do that anymore.
To be fair I haven't put many hours in it, because of some backlog too, and the mood of the game is a bit depressing :lol:

It can also be very harsh on the player, I'm currently exploring a bunker, knowing perfectly that when I go out I'll be faced with two choices: give up all my gear, or fight and die because my level was too low when I went in. No big deal, I saved a local game before and it's not that many hours, but still. You get beaten up a lot at the beginning.

To be fair I haven't put many hours in it, because of some backlog too, and the mood of the game is a bit depressing :lol:

Well…it is post-apoc after all. You can't expect unicorns and rainbows. ;)

It can also be very harsh on the player, I'm currently exploring a bunker, knowing perfectly that when I go out I'll be faced with two choices: give up all my gear, or fight and die because my level was too low when I went in. No big deal, I saved a local game before and it's not that many hours, but still. You get beaten up a lot at the beginning.

Yeah, it's definitely a min-max type of game where certain builds and stats are significantly stronger than others. Dex seems overpowered compared to the other attributes.

Every year the most promising list of games looks better than the actual releases in the previous year and we are all convinced it is going to be a better year for RPGs than what we had the year before :)
... which is either a bad thing because we just fail to learn from the past, or a good thing because we're positive thinking folks and decide to feel good about the future.
I think it's the latter. ;)

Looks more or less like what I'm looking for myself. I may be a bit of a rarity in that I was not a fan of Elex, and in my list, I'd skip Elex 2 and bump everything below up 1 slot to fill the gap, but given it gets so good rep, I'll make sure to give this Elex 2 a fair try.

I too feel a bit surprised by this. Usually I have loved most everything produced by "Piranha Bytes" but "ELEX" just didn't click with me.

Played it for 15 hours and I still have it installed but I'm not certain whether I will return to it, neither the story, the characters or the combat really felt that great to me and I found myself struggling with my commitment to keep playing. Hmm...if "ELEX 2" turn out to be a big success, I guess I'll have to give the game another chanse.

Back
Top Bottom