HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Richard Wakeling (Gamespot) has reviewed the sci-fi horror adventure Soma:
SOMA Review

What lies beneath.

While SOMA may have been dubbed a spiritual successor to the terrifying Amnesia: The Dark Descent, it would be reductive to simply call it a ‘science-fiction Amnesia’. For all its foreboding dread and ghastly creatures that go bump in the night, SOMA is driven more by an enigmatic narrative than any chilling moments of bloodcurdling terror.

It’s a sophisticated and thoughtful game, with some grand, exciting, and frankly strange ideas, that proves to be a welcome sign of maturation for developer Frictional Games. It’s clear the Swedish developer isn't content to simply revisit well-trodden ground with another haunted house filled with ghouls and Lovecraftian horror, but instead eager to forge forward with something unpredictable and fresh. SOMA may not routinely rouse a quickened heartbeat, or cause beads of sweat to trickle down your forehead as regularly as Frictional's previous work, but it’s also all the better for it.

Plunging deep into the murky depths below, your time with SOMA is spent in the water-logged boots of Simon Jarrett. How he ended up on this derelict subterranean research facility is just one of SOMA’s many mysteries; gradually revealed over the course of a story-driven experience that never stopped surprising me.

[…]

I came in expecting something similar to Amnesia, just in a terrifying new location, but what I found is an intelligent game that forced me to think and contemplate ideas as only the best sci-fi is capable of doing. It may not stir the hordes of wailing YouTubers looking for the next best haunted house, but SOMA succeeds at crafting something much more meaningful in a genre that’s deserving of more than just simple jump scares.

Score: 9/10 - Superb

The Good:
  • Engaging and thought-provoking story
  • Impressive writing and voice acting throughout
  • The atmosphere is drenched in dread
  • Keeps you on the edge of your seat
  • Sound design is particularly chilling
The Bad:
  • Enemy encounters can be tedious
  • Walking the ocean floor is dull and plodding

More information.

Last edited:
Hmm, so how is this bad?

The Bad:

Impressive writing and voice acting throughout.

They don't like impressive writing and voice acting ?

Sweet!

After reading the negative comments about "Sword Coast Legends" a few days ago (a game that I came terribly close to buying), I started to become a bit concerned about the game that I did buy recently.

Namely this one. However, this sounds like it's better than I dared to hope for. I guess I'll start playing as soon as they finish/unlock the pre-load.

I just don't think it's good when they present their game as a "fantastic adventure" with "choices" but in reality you go through one linear and scripted set piece after another. That's still dumbing down the genre.

I just don't think it's good when they present their game as a "fantastic adventure" with "choices" but in reality you go through one linear and scripted set piece after another. That's still dumbing down the genre.

How do you know that's the case with SOMA? You've already played it?

How do you know that's the case with SOMA? You've already played it?

Amnesia was exactly like this, I did play it. How is this not going to be in the same vein?

Amnesia was exactly like this, I did play it. How is this not going to be in the same vein?

So you're judging it by your experience with Amnesia? That doesn't make much sense if you ask me.

Sure, it might be just like Amnesia, but I don't think we can know for sure until we actually play it.

I've heard a lot of discussion of this being tedious as hell.

I bought it. I'm about to stream it live... but... a bit nervous about what I've gotten myself into.

I've heard a lot of discussion of this being tedious as hell.

I bought it. I'm about to stream it live… but… a bit nervous about what I've gotten myself into.

Yep, me too, and it has me a bit worried but I'm going to give it a fair shake.

Here's a pretty decent opinion to the contrary that I've watched. I, mean I pre-ordered anyway so, I'm in regardless but this critique seems fair. I wouldn't consider anything in here a spoiler:
https://youtu.be/T10EFJ38VqM?list=LLo1xCDXLox9FzuzeNxe1sQw

Ugh, that doesn't look so good. Was eager to try this one, but I think I hold off for a while until more reviews trickle out.

So you're judging it by your experience with Amnesia? That doesn't make much sense if you ask me.

Sure, it might be just like Amnesia, but I don't think we can know for sure until we actually play it.

Well yes I judge it by Amnesia, because for the team it was a much, much bigger commercial success than Penumbra. The team was living on below poverty wages before Amnesia. You really think they won't replicate exactly what has made it successful only with a different coat of paint?

Back
Top Bottom