Star Citizen Info Thread

Scrolling down this thread, I thought for a moment that the Watch had reached its natural conclusion.

Last edited:
Scrolling down this thread, I thought for a moment that the Watch had reached it's natural conclusion.

That's cute and all, but I'd appreciate it if we could stay on topic for this thread. Otherwise, it'll be a pain for those genuinely interested to sort through the updates.

I was really hoping this game would be like Privateer. I'm just not into MMO's. I hope the single player version will be good.

While I have my concerns about the project, l still hope it will be a success - I mean, why wouldn't you?

The part that put them firmly in my good books is in their wiki:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Is Star Citizen “free to play”? A subscription game?
To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay.

This is exactly what I want to see from such games - a proper single player experience, and the ability to run private moddable multiplayer server for playing with friends. If they deliver on this, I'll be a staunch supporter.

Last edited:
Is the reason the video on their website look so much better compared to the in game videos poor compression quality of the let's plays, or it has video cut-scenes ? instead of in engine ?

Is the reason the video on their website look so much better compared to the in game videos poor compression quality of the let's plays, or it has video cut-scenes ? instead of in engine ?

Every cutscene is done in-engine - as is the SQ42 trailer.

They're using performance capture in order to let you interact and "walk around" with NPCs, including the story characters (Gary Oldman, etc.). They will also be using the performance capture data to generate and render NPCs for the persistent universe.

All the important characters will have "Oldman" level of detail when it comes to facial technology. The lesser characters will have something below that - but still quite a lot of detail.

For the trailer, though, that's a "cinematic" in-engine cutscene - and they don't have interactive elements.

Most of the videos above are rough - taken from the livestream. Only the S42 trailer is "proper" PR material.

Are you talking about the SQ42 trailer? It has higher definition on the official website than it did on the presentation. That one is a cutscene using in-game models. The Crusader v2.0 and the Morrow Tour presentation were both live gameplay.

If you are talking about some of the old ship trailers, that's CGI with in-game models. Some part of these trailers are used as in-game publicity going by the ArcCorp spaceport (that's the social module).

edit:

Press demo (aka pre-recording) of the Crusader v2.0 gameplay...there was only 2 survivors in that one (4 in the live version).

Last edited:
Star Citizen 2.0 Alpha is now out on PTU - which is the "Public Test Universe".

This means it's very close to "live release" - and will probably be out within a couple of weeks. Obviously, it's still early and rough - but once the worst crashes have been dealt with - it should be a great feature showcase.

The reason this is significant for the game, is that it's the first public version that combines all the core elements of the complete package.

It's all the vital technology coming together - and it means the future will be more about adding content, fixing and polishing than developing new technology.

Hopefully, this also means we'll see a lot more visible progress, where it's been mostly behind-the-scenes stuff so far.

Features include:

Crusader location: 3 Moons, 3 stations, Asteroid belts

8 dog fight missions

8 research missions

1 exploration mission

20+ random encounters

1 on-going asteroid belt battle

1 wreckage to scavange asteroid belt

1 PVP Station

Limited to 12-16 ships at once (More players though)

Security Post is PVP/FPS (start with pistol) pick up weapons and fight there

Flyable Retaliators, Constellations, Avenger Variants, (hanger ready Vanguard)

Freelancer coming soon™

New flight dynamics and modes

EVA is back (ctrl+f)

Weapons can be recharged

Ship repair

Mobi-glass implementation

Freelancer coming soon ? Awesome

How the physics work in this game is pretty cool. See this stationary Constellation starting to spin from the attack it is receiving.

Also speed run! I can't wait to fly my Constellation...

PaltryQuickEeve.gif

Back
Top Bottom