My List of unreleased "Games to Play"

Kordanor

Wastelander
Heyho,

Having backed dozens of games and kickstarter and seeing so many games via news snippets now and then I made a habit of putting everything which looks interesting on a "Games To Play" list, where I keep track of all these games.
Doesn't necessarily mean I will actually play all of these but at least I will not forget about them.

Every couple of months I go through this list and update them with new release date estimations if there have been any comments on facebook, forums, kickstarter updates and so on. So digging through all these channels for every game takes a few hours. But sometimes it also shows a couple of nice new info.

Anyways, here is the list. It's not all RPG (though probably interesting anyways, since I think most of you are also interested in "bordering" genres like Adventures, Taktics or Strategy Games) and I will mark the most interesting findings in bold red:

(And as I have no idea on how to insert tables here, a screenshot must do. Click here to make it more readable)

List.PNG

Yes, indeed. 1st world problems. ^^
But it really was somewhat cool in the 90s to be limited and being "forced" to play games of other genres as well, somewhat widening your horizon.

Okay where is CP2077 on that list?

Oh I know. Your machine can't run it! :p

Oh yeah, well, you know: That game is so far ahead, it's even out of the list. :p

No, actually the game will be in the press anyways and it will be hard to miss.
That said, I am also not sure I am going to play it as I am not a fan of 3rd person action combat. Tried Witcher 2 2 times and gave up in frustration, didn't even check out Witcher 3. So unless the gameplay is significantly different I might not play it.
My PC should actually handle it (the 6700k and the gtx 1070 was a bit underchallenged by Avernum 3 :p )

That's a list that might take quite some time to completely go through, and every minute would be bliss. And then you think of replays, and trying different tactics/items, and.....ouch, my brain.

Yeah...I am kind of past replaying anything. Just not enough time to do that, especially as I am a completionist and usually play on hardest will all sidequests anyways, often doubling the total play time in general (e.g. Avernum 3 is suppised to offer >60h of game time, was played for over 120h).

Rimworld full release happening soon would probably mean giving up on many features that were hinted by ongoing developpment.

Could be because Rimworld was huge in intents and already five years in developpment. At some point, projects run out of gas.

Another possibility could be to sell the missing features through DLCs.

Could pretty much mean everything actually.
Personally I always feel like the 1.0 version is the way it is supposed to be played, and everything before that is not complete yet. Like a house without a roof.
Now if you want to add a garage later on, that's fine. But the house itself should also work. Otherwise I am not going to start living in it.

It is not about additional features but major features that change the gameplay.

For example: the medecine side.
It is not yet completed as per the process of adding layers.

Scars are expected to be a side effect of poor surgery (they were somewhat added to a low level in alpha 18) and ultimately be removed by a proper surgeon and adequate equipment (hospital room is missing stuff) etc

Mechanoids/bugs: in Rimworld, bugs are a counter to mechanoids. They are supposed to be tameable and used as a counter to fight back mechanoids.
Mechanoids were planned to be recycled as units and possibly used as a sarcophagus for incapacited rimworlders.

And much more like faction play etc

Rimworld have been developped consistently in layers under a clear vision of the expected final result.
It has progressed steadily but it could be the scope was too large to be achieved.

As it stand outs, considering the pace of past developpment, adding features they were hinted at could be a matter of another four years.

At some point, the drive for a project wears out. That is another facet in the crowdfunded scene, developpment stage can not be extended over years without losing enthusiasm from devs.

Out of your table I've backed Graywalkers: Purgatory, Age of Grit, Dungeons of Aledorn, Copper Dreams, & Forged of Blood. Still very much looking forward to all of them but Copper Dreams seems to be the only one with a release on the horizon.

Graywalkers has not only been delayed so many times but had frequent dev team changes, which has me worried. For now they say the Early Access will happen in a few months... If they actually come through we'd better hope it sells well.

*OK, so the developers of Forged of Blood said in February that it's actually coming along well. The failed KS was only supposed to increase the scope but they claim to have enough funds to finish the game. I hope so. I still don't understand why they never did a 2nd KS with a lower goal just to have some extra "just in case" funds, but they seem really dead-set against that.

Bit worried about Age of Grit, since their second KS failed. It expect it will be at least another year before release, if ever.

I know there's a few other indie RPGs I'm looking forward to but most are either years away or unknown / possibly vaporware status.

From watching the trailers Frostpunk and Rimworld seem like they could be interesting.

Reminds me of a french jrpg I backed. The put out an update every 6 months. Show very good progress but no clue when or if it will be released. (I think it will because they found $$$$$ outside funding but they hate updates since English is not their native tongue. I think it is only 2 years behind schedule but last update was Dec 2017 so we should get another by June �� )

Personally I always feel like the 1.0 version is the way it is supposed to be played, and everything before that is not complete yet.

This pattern of thoughts is not topical for crowdfunded products. The experience is no longer into playing a final, complete version, that is somewhat elaborated as an end goal. The experience is in playing various releases, each coming with their balance and cohesion.

If Rimworld is ended the next iteration, not only it will not be a completed version as features that were hinted are likely to miss but most importantly, it will not be a superior version as stuff offered by other versions were better delivered.

From watching the trailers Frostpunk and Rimworld seem like they could be interesting.

In order to ensure promotion, Frostpunk is being made available to streamers one week ahead.

It is as expected: survival is absent from the product. It is basically a city builder with a tech tree to unlock. Players go the way they wish, the environment puts no pressure.

As much as this war of mine was a good game, this one fails to deliver. A collection of scenarios ended by a rhetorical summary of uninvolved decision making.
TWoM design was full, this one is loaded with generic features. It is common for city builders to allow to check the thoughts of citizens. Tropico made something of this feature. In this product, this feature is included as a generic feature, it serves no purpose. They made a city builder, city builders offer this feature, so they include it.Generic design.

Thanks for making this list, found a couple of titles to look forward to!

So Rimworld was in fact planned as the 1.0 version.
In process of checking what it means, so far, this concludes a redirection from the original releases.

Would be interesting to see if additional developpments are brought as DLCs or the studio deemed it was time to pull the plug (five years and more in developpment)

I want Graveyard Keeper. Seriously, that's something new, amongst all the fantasy life sims out there :)

Oh yeah, well, you know: That game is so far ahead, it's even out of the list. :p

No, actually the game will be in the press anyways and it will be hard to miss.
That said, I am also not sure I am going to play it as I am not a fan of 3rd person action combat. Tried Witcher 2 2 times and gave up in frustration, didn't even check out Witcher 3. So unless the gameplay is significantly different I might not play it.
Wait, isn't CP<a year> supposed to be a shooter? How the gameplay can't be different? Moreover I don't think there's towns/buildings generators as there's for trees/forest, so it will be hardly close to TW3.

You didn't tried The Witcher 1? It's overall the best of the trilogy.

Wait, isn't CP<a year> supposed to be a shooter? How the gameplay can't be different? Moreover I don't think there's towns/buildings generators as there's for trees/forest, so it will be hardly close to TW3.

You didn't tried The Witcher 1? It's overall the best of the trilogy.

When I wrote that the information that Cyberpunk is going to be first person wasn't out yet. Now I will check it out for sure.

I did play the first Witcher. Liked the story, hated the combat and with that the majority of the actual gameplay. Combat by clicking in the right rythm isn't my thing. ^^

When I wrote that the information that Cyberpunk is going to be first person wasn't out yet. Now I will check it out for sure.

I did play the first Witcher. Liked the story, hated the combat and with that the majority of the actual gameplay. Combat by clicking in the right rythm isn't my thing. ^^
First person? So only first person are shooter? Make it over the shoulder and it's still no Witcher.

Ok you played the first, I thought you didn't. I won't start argue, will just mention that how I was playing combats, it was no way basic series of rhythm.

Back
Top Bottom