New monitor: TN or IPS

P

pibbur who

Going to buy new monitors, this time a 27" p1440 type. The question is TN or IPS?

According to the net, compared to ISP, TN monitors are/have
  1. Cheaper.
  2. Faster: 1 ms vs 4 ms.
  3. Not as good when it comes to image quality and color (expecially blac)
  4. Poorer viewing angles

Questions is: do these things matter (for the moment disregarding the price difference)?

I will use them only for gaming and office work. Not for watching movies and video editing.

pibbur who is also confused regarding monitors

1. Do you play games alone or usually two or more persons sit around that monitor and play coop or pvp?
If coop or pvp, IPS is a must. If no coop, buy TN.

2. Do you work/game in front of it then sometimes watch stream/movie from a bed/couch that's further away, not directly but more to the left or right side.
If watched from different places in a room, different angles, go for IPS so you don't have to rotate monitor all the time. If angles are always the same or similar, buy TN.

As you might have guessed - I bought TN and have absolutely no problems with it. If I ever become coop addict like Dart, well then…

I wouldn't worry about the refresh speed, and (for your use case) viewing angles.

I think it comes down to how interested you are in image quality. In a side-by-side test you might see the quality difference, but without the anxiety of comparison, perhaps you would never care.

I play alone and always in front of the monitors, so viewing angles don't matter.

Thanks for your input. I do value your technical insight, both of you.

pibuur who does not to the same degree trust the joxer's opinions on MMO's. Now, back to LOTRO! :)

PS: Fortunately, I will probably be allowed to return monitors if I'm not happy with them. DS.

I prefer IPS; but some models have a lot of bleed and bloom; some prefer tn but some of them are so awful you can see colour shift between top and bottom of the screen. Not all tn or ips panels are the same. There is also a VA panel (MVA,PVA). The VA panels have good viewing angles and good blacks (better than ips) but they can suffer with ghosting. The problem with a lot of these factors (colour shift, ghosting and bloom/bleed) really depends on a person sensitivity, environment (dark, bright-lite) and specific panel (different panel models preform differently even for a given type).
-
As I said I would never use a tn panel and prefer ips but i would consider pva. Also as with all technology it is a moving target. Btw part of the problem with the panel lottery is a *lot* of monitors use panels from different vendors so there is no given that a well reviewed monitor will meet your expectation esp if it uses a different vendor's panel than the review model.
-
FYI: there are also 1440p 25 inch monitors if that matters to yourself.

IPS monitors have come a long way in regards to response time. However, there's some TN panels that can rival IPS in term of image quality. It used to be very black and white. TN for gaming, IPS for photo editing, but that's not the case any more. As @you; said, VA is also a good option (excellent blacks, which LCDs usually suffer from).

Most computer components are finite things that perform the same for each of us (CPUs, RAM, MBs, etc), but when we have visual, sound devices and even peripherals for our touch, everyone is different. I highly encourage trying out a monitor first, as it's quite personal.

I personally chose an 29" Ultrawide IPS. I prefer the wide view distance for more screen real-estate with no bezel in the middle. The IPS on my monitor was quite nice, the resolution was just right (2560x1080) so as not to overload my GPU, and since I have an ATI, the Freesync option built into it was nice for getting rid of tearing at lower frame rates.

If you love vibrant colours then its IPS anyday of the week.

Don't worry about response times, unless you are bleeding edge FPS player.

Only reason to consider TN panel (or even VA for that matter) is if you are short on cash.

Last edited:
I assure you my TN has all kinds of vibrate colors.

Asus vg248qe.

I didn't write anything about it on Google, I was never paid to advertise anything nor I work for TN/IPS shilling companies. I'm writing here from my own experience - this monitor has no color problems. Assuming you've set them yourself because the default color scheme does suck.
That ancient tech ASUS monitor is so fantastic I don't even think about buying another. Until it farts, it's staying on my desk.

Note that it's 24˝ 1080p monitor. It can't make Dad Of Boy Nintendo(TM)killkidseyesight subtitles readable. Also hardcoded microscopic subtitles in amateur streams won't be easy to read from a distance. This monitor is supposed to be used with PC and with properly sized or soft subtitles in professional streams (Crunchyroll, Viki, etc).
Some of my friends who liked what they saw didn't buy it only because they wanted some 27˝ or bigger display.

I didn't write anything about it on Google, I was never paid to advertise anything nor I work for TN/IPS shilling companies. I'm writing here from my own experience - this monitor has no color problems. Assuming you've set them yourself because the default color scheme does suck.
That ancient tech ASUS monitor is so fantastic I don't even think about buying another. Until it farts, it's staying on my desk.

Note that it's 24˝ 1080p monitor. It can't make Dad Of Boy Nintendo(TM)killkidseyesight subtitles readable. Also hardcoded microscopic subtitles in amateur streams won't be easy to read from a distance. This monitor is supposed to be used with PC and with properly sized or soft subtitles in professional streams (Crunchyroll, Viki, etc).
Some of my friends who liked what they saw didn't buy it only because they wanted some 27˝ or bigger display.

Have you used an IPS monitor before?

I use one at work.

For the record: I've got the information I need to make up my mind - when I have to make up my mind.

pibbur who says thanks to all of you.

LOL I believe there's never too much of information. You should also check on sites specialized for monitors or different hardware where monitors are a separate section. For example:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-monitors,4533.html

Just do avoid PCGamer please, their suggestions most of the time do not apply to this world although I have to add I've never noticed an article on monitors there but I don't browse that site in detail.

I found a site with very thorough informaton about monitors in general, both technical and practical. (Don't have the link here).

I was considering a 27" HP Omen monitor, because my pusher has it on sale (30% off). However, I've read several reviews, and my general impression is that image quality is not very good, also compared to other TN monitors. A couple of users say things improve by experimenting with NVidia settings, but I don't know if I want to bother with that. So I will probably avoid that one.

OTOH, I can return the monitor without cost withing 60 days, so it doesn't hurt to try (and it won't hurt my wallet if I go for it). OTOOH (On The Other, Other Hand), I'm in no hurry, so I could wait until Black Friday, there's a chance I might get a better deal then.

pibbur

And you think the colours on TN is good as you get on IPS?

For the record (I do repeat myself, don't I?): I will use the monitor strictly for gaming, and things like programming. Not for watching movies/video editing. So if it's good enough for gaming, it's good enough for me. If that makes sense. And as said, I'll always sit in front of it, so viewing angles don't matter.

pibbur

For the record (I do repeat myself, don't I?): I will use the monitor strictly for gaming, and things like programming. Not for watching movies/video editing. So if it's good enough for gaming, it's good enough for me. If that makes sense. And as said, I'll always sit in front of it, so viewing angles don't matter.

pibbur

You missed my point, at home I only play games too on my monitor and I want the games to look very pretty and this means good vibrant colours as well.

I have used TN, VA and IPS panels and games looks absolutely beautiful on IPS screen. Images just jump at you. You want your games to look pretty right? I could never go back to TN panels as games looks much better on IPS screens. I will add that I have not used a TN panel in the last 2 years so may be TN have caught upto IPS in terms to colour quality but I highly doubt it.

From my understand people tend to choose TN panels for gaming over IPS mainly because they have high response times at the expense of colour. What I am saying is that, you don't need the very high response times of TN panels unless you are a cutting edge FPS player. Plus IPS panels these days have very good response times too (5ms or 6ms verses 1 ms of TN panel).

There is no reason to choose TN panel over IPS as gamer unless its money as IPS are bit more expensive.

I am not talking about video editing or any other colour sensitive uses, simply pretty looking games :)

I hope I made sense :)

Edit: Best thing is to go to your local computer shop and look at TN and IPS panel monitors.

Back
Top Bottom