Phoenix Point - Year One Edition on December 3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted that the Year One Edition of Phoenix Point will be released one week earlier on December 3:

Phoenix Point: Year One Edition Moves To December 3rd

Year One Edition to release one week earlier than planned

Phoenix Point, the turn-based strategy game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop and Snapshot Games, announced that the upcoming "Year One Edition", which collects the game with all previously released DLC and digital extras, will now release for Windows PC and Mac on December 3rd, 2020. This is one week earlier from its previously announced date of December 10th. Phoenix Point: Year One Edition will be available from most PC digital retailers, including Steam.

Snapshot Games Head of Marketing, Eric Neigher said: "We know a lot of fans have been eagerly waiting for Year One Edition since we announced it earlier this year, and that's why we are extremely pleased to be able to bring it to them a week earlier than we had planned."

Phoenix Point: Year One Edition includes all previously released content: 3 DLC Packs ("Blood & Titanium", "Legacy of the Ancients", and the "Living Weapons Pack") and a slew of updates, upgrades, fixes, and new content suggested by the community.

"Year One Edition is the best, most complete version of Phoenix Point yet released, and we're excited for players to dive into new campaigns with new challenges," said Julian Gollop, CEO of Snapshot Games and Lead Designer for Phoenix Point. "The team has worked extremely hard to get Year One Edition ready to go, and we know players are going to appreciate that hard work when they play the game."
More information.

I keep checking in on this one. The community seems to be consistently unhappy with the game, though, and the DLC have received a luckwarm reception. I like X-Com a lot and remain interested in a good similar game with different particulars, but I'm not sure this is it.

A non-delaying, non-postponing announcement, finally :)

As recently as September 2020, RPS is saying Phoenix Point has gamebreaking bugs and "unbelievably long waits while the AI figures out the right move for its twenty different enemies."

Played this on Epic not long after it came out... not very impressed. It wasn't exactly bad but it wasn't good enough to keep me playing. I know it's been patched a fair bit since then... though it wasn't bugs that stopped me from playing. I found the gameplay just not very engaging. It felt like a bit of a slog and I stopped after only 4 or 5 hours.

Played this on Epic not long after it came out… not very impressed. It wasn't exactly bad but it wasn't good enough to keep me playing. I know it's been patched a fair bit since then… though it wasn't bugs that stopped me from playing. I found the gameplay just not very engaging. It felt like a bit of a slog and I stopped after only 4 or 5 hours.

Same, I don’t remember if I ran into bugs but I just didn’t enjoy the game that much. Some of the patch notes I read sound like they have improved on a lot of aspects and made it more interesting though. But I haven’t actually tried it again yet.

Felt like a good Early Access game soon after launch. I preferred a couple mechanics over Firaxis' XCOM. Give it another couple years, if they keep working on it, and it might be a better game.

I suspect the Epic exclusive did them more harm than good. They were guaranteed to have their costs covered and make some kind of profit, but IMO, it's very doubtful this game would have bombed in any case.
Now a year later, when the game finally gets a broad release, there's no community built up around it and the hype dried up long ago.
Seems like they could have had a big hit but by taking the safe road they ended up with mediocre sales of a mediocre game.

How much has the game improved since it's release? I only ask since I played the game on it's initial release on the Epic Store, and it felt meh at best with a lot of bugs.

So Dec 3. means they will probably patch this super-version with Steam user feedback by.. April 2021?

How much has the game improved since it's release? I only ask since I played the game on it's initial release on the Epic Store, and it felt meh at best with a lot of bugs.
It is at least 2x better now and Year One will also have some cool new additions.
I will recommend that you try tutorial with Year One version.

It is at least 2x better now and Year One will also have some cool new additions.
I will recommend that you try tutorial with Year One version.
Thanks for the reply. Good to see your still around and posting.

I'll try the tutorial again then.

If you are a backer and did not claim your Epic key, then you should receive an email asking you to choose a key for your preferred platform for the year one edition, and this includes Steam and GoG. Good news!

If you are a backer and did not claim your Epic key, then you should receive an email asking you to choose a key for your preferred platform for the year one edition, and this includes Steam and GoG. Good news!
That is good news. To bad I claimed the Epic key on it's release.:(

I remember being interested in this during development, but all the negative comments and reviews have kept me away. Maybe I'll check it out when it hits Steam if it seems it really has improved that much.

Hmmm, I received this email from SnapShot Games just yesterday:

"Thanks for backing us.
Because you backed Phoenix Point before March 12, 2019, you are entitled to a free key for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on your platform of choice. For now, please take our one-question survey below, so we can get you the key in time for launch on Thursday, December 3!

Also note: you are additionally entitled to keys for DLCs 3, 4, and 5 when they release. We will deliver your keys to those via the platform you choose on the survey, when they become available
"

Thing is, I received another survey e-mail when the game was about to be released on Epic Games Store, and on that occasion I opted for the Epic game key. Since I backed the game before the date above mentioned, perhaps I'm also entitled to a Steam key, don't know…

I filled the survey and this time (for the Year One Edition version), I opted for Steam as gaming platform hoping there will still be some kind of mod community willing to make mods for this game (and since I know the Steam is way more mod-friendly than Epic, so….)

Last edited:
I got the email myself today. I'm choosing a GOG key and I'm just hoping this is a game worth playing. I've had to wait long enough.

I got the email myself today. I'm choosing a GOG key and I'm just hoping this is a game worth playing. I've had to wait long enough.

It is very good now. They got a council of players to guide them somewhat so it is better because of that.

Still more DLC to come so I wish-listed the game. (Plus, I played both Troubleshooter and BattleTech to death this year. I've had about all the action points I can take!)

Back
Top Bottom