Immortal Souls - Indie Comic-Book Style RPG

Looks interesting - and a new, fresh approach of an art style, imho. ;)

I'm not a big fan of the art style either. I downloaded the demo, suppose I'll check it out in a few days.

Looks like it's turn based (and not single character). Definitely interested.

So... nobody has anything to say about the "this is the battle between heaven and hell, our only hope lies in two vampires" thing?
I don't care about the art style much - it just looks like a flash game.

People tend to focus on graphics first ;)

I don't really see a problem with the art. Not exactly my style, but not as bad as some people make it out to be. I'm biased since I still like cartoons.

Vampires save the world......I could get into a story like that :D

It needs some ninjas though… and pirates! you just can't go wrong with pirates.
Vampire ninja pirates!

Oooohhh, I know Vampire Ninja ZOMBIE Pirates :) Even better.

Seriously, I don't think I'm going to follow the storyline too closely, but it could be a bit of fun if the gameplay is good enough.

Comic styled art games now always remind me of Penny Arcade's games. *Sigh* really wanted to like that one too. The art, humor and storyline was good, but I could not get past their combat system.

I still have PA 1 and 2 staring at me from Steam begging me to play them again (haven't even touched PA 2 yet), but it will have to be a REALLY dry season in gaming for me to go back to those.

I just played one battle and was in for a complete surprise. It's sorta a mixture of regular rpg elements with Puzzle Quest.

It's not exaclty like bejeweled/PQ type of gameplay, but you do have a small box with different attack, defense and healing options. You can use any of them all by themselves, but if you can line up 2 or more in a row or column your attacks are more powerful.

The storyline is what you would expect from a Puzzle Quest like game or JRPG. I just tend to ignore that for the most part. You are a brooding vampire, big surprise there ;) There is probably going to be lots of "I hate myself, WAAAHHH" moments.

A little off topic, but WTF happened to bad ass vampires. If you haven't seen Barely Political's video "Twilight Sucks" you should check it out. It's one of my favorites from them.

So… nobody has anything to say about the "this is the battle between heaven and hell, our only hope lies in two vampires" thing?
I don't care about the art style much - it just looks like a flash game.

Sorry, I watched the video with sounds turned off. ;)

Just played through the demo and I like it! Fun way of making combo's, story is a bit shabby but hey who cares (too much :p)?

The story is about as good as Puzzle Quest. I did not play that one because of the epic storyline ;)

I'm not sure if this will get old pretty quick though. PQ had all kinds of additions to it other than the bejeweled like games. RPG stats, weapons, mini-games where you can upgrade your castle or creatures, etc.....

So far I've seen what could be barely described as stats and a few inventory items. I hope it offers up more than just that or at least has challenging fights.

I'll probably pick it up either way, just would like a bit more than a basic inventory and stats for the rpg aspect of the game.

Just played the demo myself, but I didn't really click with it. The developers are doing their best to try something different though. I think Skavenhorde is correct in comparing it to Puzzle Quest. It's obviously not as puzzle-heavy as that game, but you can clearly see in the battles and in the overall structure of the game that the developers took inspiration from PQ.

Otherwise, the music and sound was appropriately epic to match the quirky comic-book style, but the sound quality was unfortunately very low for me. The story is unfortunately pretty terrible in my opinion. PQ's story is more like a masterpiece compared to this. But I suppose this storyline should be interpreted as more humorous take on the usual comic book and rpg conventions.

Also, it should be noted that the game is developed in Flash. I know it's no way to judge a game, but I also know that it can be a huge turn-off for some people. I hate how making a flash game basically disables the use of the right mouse button for example.

The story is unfortunately pretty terrible in my opinion. PQ's story is more like a masterpiece compared to this.

*shiver* PQ story and masterpiece should never be in the same sentence EVER! :p

You're right though. It's horrible. Almost as bad as some of the JRPGs I've played, but at least I can sorta understand the plot. In JRPGs I normally have no idea what is going on or why do I always have to get some damn kid their teddy bear :D

I'm putting this one on hold until I read some indie reviewers opinion on it. The battles could get too repatative too quickly.

If you guys are looking for a PQ like game then try out Spandex Force. That one is funny and doesn't become samey too quickly.

Of course Puzzle Quest 2 is also out for only 10 bucks on Steam. I'd say pick that one up before this one or at least wait for some reviews of this game first.

The story is unfortunately pretty terrible in my opinion. PQ's story is more like a masterpiece compared to this.

*shiver* PQ story and masterpiece should never be in the same sentence EVER! :p

You're right though. It's horrible. Almost as bad as some of the JRPGs I've played, but at least I can sorta understand the plot. In JRPGs I normally have no idea what is going on or why do I always have to get some damn kid their teddy bear :D

I'm putting this one on hold until I read some indie reviewers opinion on it. The battles could get too repatative too quickly.

If you guys are looking for a PQ like game then try out Spandex Force. That one is funny and doesn't become samey too quickly. They also have another one coming out pretty soon called Spandex Force: Superhero U

Of course Puzzle Quest 2 is also out for only 10 bucks on Steam. I'd say pick that one up before this one or at least wait for some reviews of this game first.

Back
Top Bottom