What games are you playing now?

Playing "Diablo - Lord of Terror" campaign for Neverwinter Nights….

Thanks for the report, I've had that one bookmarked for a while because it looked interesting.

Still playing Kohan II, but lately suffering some horribly inconvenient game freezes. Nothing's worse in gaming than losing hours of progress to a crash. I just havnt been saving enough, and things seemed to be ok when the damn thing freezes again!

played a couple hours of Age of Empires Online tonight. I have mixed feelings about it, and I think ultimately I have enough RTS already (havent even played AOE III to it's fullest) to get into it. I had to go a few rounds w/ Games for Windows Live just to get the thing working, so it didnt start on a positive note.

Theyve made an online persistent home city, wherein you level and gather upgrades as you go on standard rts mission style quests. Quest rewards are upgrades, the ability to build spearmen, bowmen, etc. Better troops and tech. Also you get loot, which you can enhance your troops with as well. But as "free to play" things always go, there's a catch. There's some cool stuff that you just cannot use until you upgrade. Granted, it's only 15 bucks or so for the "full" civilization, less than most new games cost, but still…. I dont like them dropping loot you cannot use, strongarm manipulation tactics. It's pretty lame to actually have to buy the full civilization, or additional. Ultimately, it seems a little too "pay to win" for my tastes.

The graphics are totally different than the past "Age Of.." games, cartoony disney looking but they pull it off well. The animations are great and it's a nice looking game. The RTS battles do leave a little to be desired when it comes to unit control tho - no follow/guard command, no setting production building flags to units, no hero units. It's not squad based, so you have to micro all your units. Which is fine, but there's no representation on the interface to easily select and rotate out damaged units, which to me is a big part of being a good RTS player, being able to micro your troops to effectively take down a larger/superior forces just by effective cycling of troops and staying in control of the engagement.

I dont think it's a bad game, just doesnt seem like something I'm interested in investing more time in and it wasnt fun enough to spend money on

Playing BG1, IWD 1 & 2.

Having mad fun with IWD1. It's my 1st playthrough.. heck it is way better than IWD2 (for some reason). I just couldn't stop playing.

Playing IWD2 with fiance as well. Multiplayer option is a bit troublesome tho.

Apart from Minecraft 1.9 Prerelease N.2?
Uh, last night I felt the need to play Tekken for a bit, so I popped in T5 for the quick fix, playing a few rounds of survival mode. I haven't played in months (or years?), so I was pleased that I still got rather far - though just with Jack, and with Jack alone. Don't get me wrong -Jack is one of my favorite characters. He has the reach, the strength and the looks.
But I remember that I was pretty successful with Kazuya back in the days of the first Tekken, and ... uh, well, I'm just too darned clumsy to handle him nowadays. Or Jin. Or Lee Chaolan. Or Law. Not even Paul Phoenix bows to my command, and he used to be super easy to handle!
Well, looks like I'm stuck with my friend Jack for all eternity.

Doing some time in WK40K: DOW Soulstorm.
I've always liked the fanatical Sisters of Battle, and here their fervor is at an all-time high w/ hilarious units like the Exorcist tank - a tank that features a pipe organ that fires mortars out the pipes while the driver plays hymns to the Emperor on the keys! Lots of cool units, and there's a new resource "faith" which the Sisters can use for battlefield powers. And they need them too, because in all honesty theyre a little bit weaker and have less options then their space marine brothers when it comes to simply fielding the right units and throwing them at the enemy. I consider myself a fairly proficient Dawn of War player, but the first mission vs Imperial Guard pretty much stomped me and stopped my attack dead in it's tracks. Need to use those faith powers to the max.

Dark Eldar look pretty cool too.

I realized how spoiled I am when it comes to download vs box, when I feel it's such a tremendous hassle to put the disk in the drive to play the game! If Steam ever has a DOW "everything sale" for pretty cheap, i'll probably pick them up just to get rid of this horrible inconvenience! ='.'=

Playing BG1, IWD 1 & 2.

Having mad fun with IWD1. It's my 1st playthrough.. heck it is way better than IWD2 (for some reason). I just couldn't stop playing.

Playing IWD2 with fiance as well. Multiplayer option is a bit troublesome tho.

IWD1 is definitely the superior game :) Though I wish it utilized the sequel's 3.5 ruleset.

I found an old Pentium 200 on the side of the road so I've installed DOS on it and am currently playing Albion for the first time.

Love the colourful VGA graphics, the midi music, the classic Science Fiction setting and the interesting use of different types of gameplay (isometric, first person, turn based combat).

Early on in the game I was turned back by a couple of dudes guarding the comms room but, thanks to my mate Joe who kindly directed me to a puzzle filled service entrance, I later found my way inside and discovered a gun hidden in a console. Feeling very pleased with myself I marched directly out through the guarded door only to be stopped, lectured, and searched by the guards - who took my gun. And I really like logical consequences like that in a game - I was lazy and didn't go back through the service tunnels, and I was punished.

Having said that though I've really missed that gun! I've been in one fight and had my butt whipped to the point that I had to re-load and avoid it until I toughen up a bit.

Still playing Ultima 7. Once I got used to its quirks and over a couple of bugs hich thankfully haven't repeaeered, I started enjoying this.

Have explored maybe half of the world so far. The exploration aspect and the NPC characterizations have bee fantastic.

I think its pretty cool that you can fly around on a magic carpet (with bucket seats for 8, no less), that carries crates and barrels to hold all your junk.

I just finished Alpha Protocol. The interesting thing, however, is not that I finished it but that I'm actually going to start over again. The truth is that there is nothing good I can say about that game without finding something equally, or more, bad to balance it out. Good ideas are followed by terrible execution, well executed aspects are left half baked etc… Still somewhere within all that terrible mess I found much more entertainment than frustration - which gives me another little reason to believe that games should be judged as more than a sum of features.

By the way (maybe a slight spoiler for those that are playing)
I decided to go with as little kills as it would be reasonably convenient - plus no executions at all. The one person however I really -really- wanted to just shoot dead and damn the consequences, was Marburg. But the first time I fought him the game didn't give me the option - he was -the only 'boss'- that just got away… and the second time… he decided not to fight me! He just turned his back on me and walked away… and I just wanted the game to allow me to just shoot him in the back even if that meant letting the real bad guy get away… but no, Alpha Protocol had to keep on frustrating me to the last minute. >:O

Tried Fort Zombie again, new update patched up.

I'm sorry, it's just an awful game, there's no two ways about it…. I can endure some bad, but this game started giving me a migraine. There's a good concept here, it's ideally the game ive always wanted, but the execution is just so irretrievably poor.

Weapons suck, at near point blank range you should be able to take down zombies quick w/ a firearm. Stamina is nil, zombies see you from a good distance and come a runnin'. Lots of ducking around corners while you recoup from running a half block, and just pray there's nothing waiting for you because you cannot attack when tired and youre the worst shot ever. Copy/paste on a lot of stuff (like house interior contents) to where the environment gets boring quick, same stash places everywhere. Wonky controls. I wont bash the graphics too much because overall the game isnt that terrible looking, but the zombies really do look bad. The animations are laughable. Zombies fall apart at the hit (or ten) of a crowbar, parts go flying. The AI.. now I know zombies are stupid, but these things make every movie zombie youve ever seen look like geniuses. And where's the option to save the goddamn game? I made it to the police station (my chosen fort) and cleared it out, and that's all I could endure.

I kept hitting random keys hoping for a suicide button like on the Postal games.

Last edited:
waiting for Xenoblade: Chronicles to arrive.

Speaking of which, I'm playing Xenoblade now. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a JRPG but I really like this one. I'm still early on but there seems to be their seem to be lots of side quests and areas to explore. (English) voice acting is fairly decent too. Not over the top and obnoxious.

With as many crappy, derivative JRPGs that make it over to the consoles here in the US, it really puzzles me why Nintendo won't release this one here.

Speaking of which, I'm playing Xenoblade now. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a JRPG but I really like this one. I'm still early on but there seems to be their seem to be lots of side quests and areas to explore. (English) voice acting is fairly decent too. Not over the top and obnoxious.

With as many crappy, derivative JRPGs that make it over to the consoles here in the US, it really puzzles me why Nintendo won't release this one here.

Wii games aren't region locked? I didn't think a PAL game would run on a NA system.

Wii games aren't region locked? I didn't think a PAL game would run on a NA system.

You can run it if you jump through hoops and unlock your Wii. Or perhaps with a program named for a certain sea mammal...

So which are you doing. ;)

I recently tried Dolphin and wasn't impressed. Still far too many glitches with most games for my taste.

Interesting choice of name. Dolphin was what Nintendo called the gamecube while it was in development.

I was quite skeptic of xenoblade at first. Most JRPGs don't appeal to me, but after watching a few gameplay videos on Youtube I got more interested in it. The fact that it was made by some of the same people who made Xenogears (a JRPG which I liked... and one that was never officially released in Europe), I've decided to give it a shot.

Playing BG1, IWD 1 & 2.

Excellent choice. :) I love IWD as well and have played it through at least five times; probably more than any other infinity engine game. I also agree that it's superior to the sequel. Just better encounters, atmosphere and deep wintery-feeling, story, music...

I hope you've also got Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster installed as well for a truly epic experience. :) Although it has to be said that my brother and I didn't get very far with our multiplayer attempt - I think we bailed out before even getting to Yuxonemi; otherwise known as she-of-the-multi-armed-tin-can-opener.

I'm currently replaying the Witcher on hard before getting into the sequel for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom