The TV Series discussion thread - Page 310 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 1st, 2021, 21:36
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I thought the short run of Firefly was a pity. I think it had the legs for a good long run, and was so much better than most of the crappy SyFy shows. I find Whedon hit and miss, but I really like the tone he hit in that one.
It's one of my favorite shows of all time, even with only 14 eps. I would love to have four or five times that many to watch. Though I have to say, the potential future episodes I've seen mentioned sound terrible (Inara gang raped by Reavers? No thanks)

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

November 1st, 2021, 21:47
Yeah I've watched and re-watched Firefly about four times in total, I'd say. It easily could have gone on for a couple more series, yet that wasn't meant to happen, I guess. The film was pretty good as well, though I'm a much bigger fan of the show.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

November 1st, 2021, 23:18
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yeah I've watched and re-watched Firefly about four times in total, I'd say. It easily could have gone on for a couple more series, yet that wasn't meant to happen, I guess. The film was pretty good as well, though I'm a much bigger fan of the show.
I saw the film before I saw the series and I always considered it good as if not better than the TV show. But in my recent rewatch that flipped for the first time. The show held up as well as ever, but I had several quibbles with the film this time.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2021, 00:15
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I saw the film before I saw the series and I always considered it good as if not better than the TV show. But in my recent rewatch that flipped for the first time. The show held up as well as ever, but I had several quibbles with the film this time.
Same. I saw Serenity years before finally watching the show. I really ike both, and I think the film was a worthy finale, but I can understand why some fans didn't care for it.

It's a crime that Firefly wasn't better received. The same goes for Serenity which barely broke even at the box office.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2021, 13:59
A quick round up of some period drama classics:

Sense And Sensibility (2008) was ok, about women's dramas while waiting for marriage in the 19th Century UK. 7/10

Emma (1996) was pretty boring, about women's dramas while waiting for marriage in the 19th Century UK. 5/10

Pride and Prejudice (1995) Was pretty good, notable for a young Colin Firth as Darcy, about women's dramas while waiting for marriage in the 19th Century UK. 8/10

Far from the Madding Crowd (1998) was desperately frustrating, about women's dramas while waiting for marriage in the 19th Century UK. 5/10

Tess of the D'Urbervilles (1998) was desperately frustrating and crap, about women's dramas while waiting for marriage in the 19th Century UK. 3/10

Wuthering Heights (1978) was hard going, about many a psychopath's dramas while waiting for marriage and then mourning death in the 19th Century UK. 5/10

Middlemarch (1994) Was ok, about women's dramas while waiting for marriage in the 19th Century UK. Made very confusing by having two almost identical characters play different roles, leaving one bewildered how many scenes didn't seem to fit together. Oh, right, they were different people. Whoops. 7/10

Cranford (2007) Was excellent. Judi Dench leads an all star cast of old ladies and sundry other people as a small town of gossipy old matrons adapts to the encroaching modernity in the 19th Century. Also has women's dramas while waiting for marriage. 9/10

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2021, 17:41
I saw Cranford a few years back, I enjoyed that show a great deal, especially the time period in which it was set. I always wondered if they might do more episodes, perhaps a following generation.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 3rd, 2021, 00:25
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I saw Cranford a few years back, I enjoyed that show a great deal, especially the time period in which it was set. I always wondered if they might do more episodes, perhaps a following generation.
They did do two extra episodes called Return to Cranford a couple of years later, but I haven't seen those yet, they weren't in the set. I'm definitely picking them up at some point in the future though.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2021, 03:26
Ahhh I'd no idea they did extra episodes, I'll have to keep an eye out for those and see if I can catch them somehow. Thanks for passing that on!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 3rd, 2021, 17:19
I've seen the first season, 4 episodes, of Castlevania. It's pretty decent. But somehow I got into the feeling that I was just watching stuff to pass the time. I need a better filter on what I waste time on.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2021, 17:51
I finished the second series of Farscape, and now I'm onto the third. I kind of miss the story of the week format, yet the continuing arc is at least interesting, so I'm sticking with it for now. If nothing else, I'm curious to see how it all ends!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 3rd, 2021, 18:08
I tried to re-watch but I couldn't get past the first seasons slow pacing and plot. Guess that goes to show your tastes change as you get older. I'll try to continue watching.

If not I'll go back and watch an old Sc-fi classic Babylon 5.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 4th, 2021 at 20:21.

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
+1:

November 3rd, 2021, 20:39
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I've seen the first season, 4 episodes, of Castlevania. It's pretty decent. But somehow I got into the feeling that I was just watching stuff to pass the time. I need a better filter on what I waste time on.
I've had a few people tell me Castlevania is pretty good, and the review scores seem to support that, but I just can't get into watching animated shows anymore. I used to really enjoy the game series though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 3rd, 2021, 20:57
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I've had a few people tell me Castlevania is pretty good, and the review scores seem to support that, but I just can't get into watching animated shows anymore. I used to really enjoy the game series though.
The animation and art style is very beautiful. I don't often watch animated series, but this one is quite nice. The series it self is pretty cool to decent. Sometimes you do get the feeling that it was written for what adolescent men find cool. And the voice actors range from good, to sometimes weird. Other times I really like the writing. I've not seen anything cringy yet. The worst is that it sometimes dips into emo-dark stuff, where certain characters act all brooding. But it's nothing you can't get over.

Also, it does seem to have the narrative structure of most rpg games.

Another thing I find funny is the absolute basterdization of how they pronounce some of the locations/towns. I live in the heart of Transylvania, in Romania (we don't have them vampires mind you, neither does the catholic church hold that much power here. ) and I find it hilarious how they keep pronouncing the same cities in different ways. Sometimes the same actor pronounces the same city differently. Also, I had no idea that the Dracula in Castlevania was actually based on Vlad Tepes, a real historic character who's dad had some affiliations which I guess spawned the whole myth around him. Plus the killing of people by driving a big stake through their groin area and leaving them out to bleed. I guess that'll do it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2021, 21:11
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Also, I had no idea that the Dracula in Castlevania was actually based on Vlad Tepes, a real historic character who's dad had some affiliations which I guess spawned the whole myth around him. Plus the killing of people by driving a big stake through their groin area and leaving them out to bleed. I guess that'll do it.
Afaik, the Dracula in the game series is based on Bram Stoker's Dracula. I'm not sure how much in common the show has with the games though.

I didn't know you were Romanian. I always thought you were Scandinavian for some reason.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 4th, 2021, 19:56
All Dracula stories are based on that Vlad guy in the end, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 4th, 2021, 21:12
loading…
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

November 4th, 2021, 21:37
Last night I finished re-watching the third series of Mr. Robot, and some of these episodes are among the finest in the show. Lots of past truths are revealed, and you get a better idea of exactly what Elliot has been driven by, for good or ill. You also get spelled out for you Angela's true lineage, which was fairly obvious if the viewer had been paying attention. And of course, this is only setting up what is sure to be a smashing finale in the fourth series!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 5th, 2021, 00:22
The Blob: A Genius Without a Brain. Good BBC documentary on an ancient, single-cell organism we call a slime mould, and its remarkable abilities that raise questions about the concept of intelligence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00103fr
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

November 5th, 2021, 01:08
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
The Blob: A Genius Without a Brain. Good BBC documentary on an ancient, single-cell organism we call a slime mould, and its remarkable abilities that raise questions about the concept of intelligence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00103fr
Nice catch, thanks!

It's UK-only access but I think I've found it on Youtube, just by looking for the same title:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIiRk8s02o

I'll watch that tomorrow

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
+1:

November 5th, 2021, 15:45
I finally started watching season 3 of Mr Robot. I'm halfway through, and so far I like it more than the first two seasons. The only disappointment for me was…

Spoiler

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread