What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 315 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

November 7th, 2021, 17:02
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
Oh for sure, it suggested lots was going on. It just didn't show any of it. It was too busy showing us big snadworms and extremely low effort fight scenes and lots of long drawn out visual reveals.

As I said, I'm sure they could have figured out a way to take the sand worms out the equation if killing them wasn't an option. I mean, they'd have had 1000s of years to figure something out, right. I'm just spitballing ideas in 5 mins of thinking time. You know, like those thumpers that distract them *cough* *cough*. Or how about flying claw diggers that lift out a pile of sand and take it to a refinery. Or. Or. Or. Etc.

The point being, the sandworms aren't really the main focus of interest here. They're a silly fun weak spot at best.
Well, what can I say, I didn't have much of an issue with how much they suggested vs showed. This might be a personal thing, but after I usually see a movie I don't really have suggestions on how it could've been done better. Or what the director/writers should have done. I want to see their vision of it. And afterwards I can only say if what they did do worked for me, or not.

And what they did worked for me. They managed to make me lose myself in the world they built. And I'm really excited about the rest of the story, seeing this potential.

My only other slight issue is with the score by Zimmer and his crew. I listened to it separately from the film, and I quite liked it. But in the movie itself, some of the women chanting in moments of importance was kind of immersion breaking. On the other hand, I absolutely loved the guttural singing of the Sardukar, probably heavily inspired by mongolian throat singing. That idea was fantastic of them, to make use of that kind of singing.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

November 7th, 2021, 21:28
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I absolutely loved the guttural singing of the Sardukar, probably heavily inspired by mongolian throat singing. That idea was fantastic of them, to make use of that kind of singing.
The Sardaukar training grounds was one of my favorite scenes. I just wish it had been longer. Partial clip…

loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

November 7th, 2021, 21:41
This clip is slightly longer:

loading…

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

November 7th, 2021, 22:51
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The Sardaukar training grounds was one of my favorite scenes. I just wish it had been longer. Partial clip…

loading…
Exactly, it's these sort of cool touches that really give flavour to the world/setting. This sort of scene, sprinkled throughout, is really memorable. I also loved the Sardaukar speak right at the very start of the movie, saying something along the lines of "Dreams are messages from the deep".

The rave-version of the Sardaukar training grounds is hilarious. I guess that's become quite a popular meme on the internet.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

November 7th, 2021, 23:07
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
The point being, the sandworms aren't really the main focus of interest here. They're a silly fun weak spot at best.
You didn't read the books, I suppose. Without sandworms there would be no navigators, no space folding, no Fremen, nor a load of other things, as there would be no spice.
Without sandworms, it would not be Dune.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)

November 7th, 2021, 23:55
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
You didn't read the books, I suppose. Without sandworms there would be no navigators, no space folding, no Fremen, nor a load of other things, as there would be no spice.
Without sandworms, it would not be Dune.
Yes, that has been established (not by the film though). That also has nothing to do with what I was saying either.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

November 8th, 2021, 00:35
A very good Chinese fantasy drama

Love and Redemption

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

November 8th, 2021, 16:19
That one seems heavy on romance so I am skipping.
Thanks for the link though, it might be useful if it happens I need it for, well, certain occassions…

About Dune, I will probably wait for the second part then watch them both.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
+1:

November 8th, 2021, 19:14
Schindler's list. Probably doesn't need an introduction since it's a classic. If you haven't seen it and want to watch a really sad movie, this is the one. I had forgotten how horrible the movie was. Still, one of the greatest ever movies made. I especially love the theme and how Itzhak Perlman plays/expresses it. Have a hard time not to cry while it's playing toward the end of the movie.

largh

Sentinel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 8th, 2021, 23:08
I tried watching the newest Dune flick over the weekend, just not for me. I prefer the books by far over this new iteration or, should I ever want to watch it again on the telly, I'll go for the Lynch version.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

November 9th, 2021, 07:18
loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

November 9th, 2021, 11:53
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I tried watching the newest Dune flick over the weekend, just not for me. I prefer the books by far over this new iteration or, should I ever want to watch it again on the telly, I'll go for the Lynch version.
I watched it (on my indoor bike) a couple of days ago. I must (or rather I want to - after all no one is forcing me) say that I liked it. It's close to the books (as far as I remember the book. it's around 40 years since I read it). I liked the presentation and the mood of the film, and that it was a bit slow (don't like fast moving action movies anymore).

Can't compare it to the Lynch movie ATM, (more than 20 years since I saw that one). Maybe I should watch that movie again.

a pibbur who would like to use the voice now and then, against the the wifen (if she lets me). Of course also against watchers who didn't like the movie (and other things he likes)
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

November 9th, 2021, 13:34
I haven't seen Dune yet but I have read the first 3 books before and I just read them again to prep for the movie. I watched the lynch Dune again as well and while elements of it impressed me, I liked the cast and the thought sequences, I found most of it hasn't aged well. Just too many important characters only had brief cameos i.e. Liet Kynes and far too much important content was missing i.e. most of the skirmishes with House Harkonen, most of the sietchs, the hydroponic garden under their house on Arrakeen, the feast etc. I'm hoping at least some of these scenes make it into the new version. I'm also hoping they skip some of the wierd additions Lynch made like the Harkonen heart plugs and the voice weapon stuff - the wierdling way is a hand to hand/melee combat style from what I understand.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 10th, 2021, 01:47
Well, the new Bond film bored me rigid. The pre-credit sequence went on for 25 minutes, when it should have been five, and the whole bloody film felt like that.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

November 10th, 2021, 02:07
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Well, the new Bond film bored me rigid. The pre-credit sequence went on for 25 minutes, when it should have been five, and the whole bloody film felt like that.
It felt just so very, very tired didn't it.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

+1:

November 10th, 2021, 04:25
Uggghhh that Bond film….not my Bond, I can tell you that much. Honestly the only one I've enjoyed recently was the first film that Craig did in the series, the others, not so much. At least I did have a book handy to save me!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 10th, 2021, 10:10
I watched a movie called In the Shadow of the Moon tonight. It's a Netflix exclusive that was released in 2019.

It's a cop drama with an interesting twist. A detective witnesses the death of a serial killer in 1988 only to see the same person reappear in 1997 and again every 9 years afterwards.

I won't say more than that because it's another one of those films that's hard to describe without dropping spoilers. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a mystery with some unexpected turns. I enjoyed it well enough, but I wouldn't call it a must-see.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

November 10th, 2021, 10:16
I've also seen it, and I liked it.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

+1:

November 14th, 2021, 18:15
I also saw No Time To Die, and found it pretty decent and average. It was entertaining enough, for a Bond movie. Also looked pretty decent. I didn't have the same negative reaction that people here seem to have.

My only issue is with the ending, which is kind of contrived in order to do what they did.
Spoiler

Also, while I liked and didn't have any issues with how Rami Malek portrayed his character, his motivations were kinda stupid. I mean, really just the same as most Bond villans.

Also, there's absolutely no tension in these movies. Never has been, since they're so formulaic.

But if you keep these things in mind, I felt it was ok overall. Just consumable content that doesn't really get you thinking. But it does make you feel like you're just wasting time.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

November 14th, 2021, 19:04
I watched a documentary on William T. Sherman, mostly focused on his exploits in the western theatre of the Civil War, and then his subsequent visit to Atlanta and his march to the sea. It was really good, honestly it seemed it could have easily gone on for another hour or two, they had so much material to cover.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread