Elex 2 - Page 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex 2 » Elex 2

Default Elex 2

November 10th, 2021, 17:49
@Moriendor seems you were right about a 2022 release.

Just another game on a very long list that got pushed back till next year.

Not even a good date with the various competition.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)

November 17th, 2021, 19:20
An ELEX 2 faction trailer has now been released by PB. It looks like we were right. The five playable factions, as expected, are the Albs, the Berserkers, the Clerics, the Morkons and the Outlaws.

English language faction trailer:

loading…

German language faction trailer:

loading…

^ As a German speaking guy, I feel that the English trailer actually has the better voice acting and a more interesting narration.

EDIT: The official website has also been updated with short blurbs on the five factions plus the invaders who are now called "Skyands" (they used to be called Skyanides before IIRC?).
Last edited by Moriendor; November 17th, 2021 at 19:50.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

November 17th, 2021, 23:50
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
As a German speaking guy, I feel that the English trailer actually has the better voice acting and a more interesting narration.
You mean the German version is even worse?

Cheesy acting aside, it looks good to me. I'm surprised though that all three of the factions from the first game are back. Iirc, it was originally reported that it would be two of the three?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

November 17th, 2021, 23:57
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It was originally reported that it would be two of the three.

Yes, I think a lot of people expected the Clerics to have dissolved after the events of the first game but apparently that is not the case. I thought it was clear that the Clerics were back at the very latest when they revealed the CE contents. Why have a cleric key chain in the CE if the clerics aren't even in ELEX 2? That'd be a bit strange .

By the way, if anyone wants to see more ELEX 2 gameplay in German similar to Gronkh's stream in September then a Twitch streamer called Pietsmiet has had the opportunity to stream ELEX 2 tonight with Bjoern and Jenny from Piranha Bytes at his (virtual) side.

The stream can be found here and ELEX 2 starts at the 02:12:50 mark.

One of the biggest (the biggest?) German print/online mags Gamestar will also host a stream tomorrow night where some ELEX 2 will be shown off (among many other games so there will probably be not too much new stuff, if any).

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

November 18th, 2021, 00:02
Tsk..tsk..more German coverage instead of English as usual PB. You never change.

Thanks for the link though.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2021, 00:06
Yes, it's shocking that a game from Germany would initially get more German coverage.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 18th, 2021, 21:16
EDIT: The official website has also been updated with short blurbs on the five factions plus the invaders who are now called "Skyands" (they used to be called Skyanides before IIRC?).
To answer my own question: I inquired about the different terms on the World of Elex forums and one guy thinks he heard somewhere that the invading aliens are the Skyands while the Skyanides are a subtype of the Skyands. Thus the different terms. I guess that makes sense.

Secondly, I have not watched tonight's Gamestar stream myself but according to the World of Elex forums (minor spoilers ahead):

- You will be able to switch factions at least once during the game
- The possibility of a factionless playthrough has been confirmed once again but unfortunately still no details with regard to how the character progression will be handled
- The Morkons do not have mana but their own special resource pool called "pain"
- PB once again had complete creative freedom for ELEX 2 and they have achieved all of the goals they were aiming for. BTW, Bjoern has said the same thing on DevPlay recently and I was really surprised because you'd think that all devs are forced to make more or less painful cuts during development. But not PB… according to Bjoern they have 100%-ed ELEX as far as their plans were concerned.
- Flying was originally not planned as a feature but it felt decent during development so they decided to keep it in

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

November 18th, 2021, 21:31
Elden Ring - Feburary 25th.

Sorry, Elex. I have a better offer.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2021, 23:16
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Elden Ring - Feburary 25th.

Sorry, Elex. I have a better offer.
If I had to choose, it would be Elex 2. Fortunately I can afford both.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 18th, 2021, 23:32
- You will be able to switch factions at least once during the game.
That's new for a PB game, but I like that it'll be an option. I wonder if it's at a certain point in the story or something we can do whenever we make the decision.

- Flying was originally not planned as a feature but it felt decent during development so they decided to keep it in
I wasn't sold on the flying at first, but I've warmed to it after seeing more footage. If the aerial combat is decent, it could be interesting.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 19th, 2021, 01:19
The replay of the stream can be found here and gameplay starts at the 02:43:15 mark.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

+1:

November 19th, 2021, 02:25
OK, I watched this one myself now and here's a bit more info (minor spoilers ahead):

- The Berserkers have occupied Tavar (desert home land of the Outlaws) after the events of the first game. They have subsequently mingled with the Outlaws so the new Berserkers are influenced by the Outlaws.

- The Albs (joinable faction in E2) believe that the reason for losing the war was their excessive Elex consumption and the lack of a sixth sense because of being too unemotional. That is why they have decided to allot Elex now.

- Regarding the choice to switch factions, Bjoern said that you can change factions after completing basic training in another faction. He also talked about certain limitations. I guess that means you can't advance too far in a faction or the option to switch will be blocked. He was pretty vague about the limitations.

- The factionless path is a test to see how players will react to it. According to Bjoern it is not an afterthought but a full-fledged alternate path. They have poured a lot of TLC into making that path viable and very attractive. Bjoern said he is afraid that it might even be too attractive .

- The inspiration for flying, according to Jenny, was the Iron Man character in Lego Marvel Superheroes . They thought it was awesome how you could fly around Manhattan and then wanted to have it in their own game as well.
She added that it will probably take a long time to upgrade the jetpack to its full flying capabilities on a first playthrough but that it should be much easier and faster on subsequent playthroughs once you know where to find all the upgrade parts (i.e. we can probably conclude that the jetpack upgrades will not be story/chapter related).

- It's once again their biggest game to date (in terms of content, not the game world), 350,000 words (not lines) of spoken dialogue this time, Jenny is especially proud of adding children NPCs to the game, there will be even more difficulty settings in ELEX 2 to finetune the experience and for players who want more handholding there will be an option to follow the critical path which will pose less of a challenge

- There will be three romance options (ELEX had two). A lot of work was put into this as well as into the companions in general. Bjoern said that companion content has about doubled compared to ELEX and it is now more interwoven with the main plot.

- They are using Faceware as a 3rd party middleware for lipsync. This ensures that lipsync is accurate in all languages.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

November 19th, 2021, 02:52
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
If I had to choose, it would be Elex 2. Fortunately I can afford both.
Financially, sure. But timewise? Nah. I rarely play anything else concurrently with a FromSoft game.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2021, 05:18
@Moriendor Thanks for relating all that. Everything sounds good. (Except for the work that was put into romances )

Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Financially, sure. But timewise? Nah. I rarely play anything else concurrently with a FromSoft game.
I rarely play anything concurrently with any RPG and definitely not another RPG. For me, it's going to be a "wait and see" situation. Depending on how much gaming time I end up having in Feb, I might not even be finished with Dying Light 2 before Elden Ring is released.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 19th, 2021, 13:10
Bjoern said that companion content has about doubled compared to ELEX and it is now more interwoven with the main plot.
That's great news for me.

Also the factionless path seems intriguing. I normally played magic users and thus was more or less forced in Elex I to join the Clerics whom I didn't like at all.
So it would be great if the Clerics aren't dicks again or you can learn magic in every faction or in the factionless path.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Medieval Dynasty

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

November 19th, 2021, 14:35
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Also the factionless path seems intriguing. I normally played magic users and thus was more or less forced in Elex I to join the Clerics whom I didn't like at all.
So it would be great if the Clerics aren't dicks again or you can learn magic in every faction or in the factionless path.
If you like magic, why didn't you join the Berserkers?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 19th, 2021, 19:17
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post

I felt that all factions were a little meh. The Outlaws were out of question for me because of Nasty (one really annoying and obnoxious critter in the German version). I did not really mind joining the Clerics in the end.
It was a means to an end decision for me. I did not think that story is the strong suit of ELEX anyway so I did not mind a lack of sympathy for the faction(s) too much.

I'm also most interested in the factionless path in ELEX 2 since I'm not really keen on joining the Morkons or the Albs. The Outlaws and Berserkers still do not appeal to me so if I had to choose a faction then I guess it'd be Clerics again.

I think it's great that there is FINALLY an option to go Han Solo and stay independent. I like that path the most instead of being forced to join a "club".
The Clerics skill "tree" looks really boring anyway. You can see the skills starting at 02:37:42 in the PietSmiet stream.

Jenny confirmed early in the stream that he is playing the finished game (minus polishing but apparently content/feature complete). From top to bottom we have the following categories:

- Combat
- Survival
- Crafting
- Personality
- Berserker (10 skills total)
- Alb (7 skills total)
- Morkon (10 skills total)
- Outlaw (5 skills total)
- Cleric (2 skills total)
- Jetpack

^ WTF? The Clerics only have TWO skills or skill categories? That sounds like a pretty boring progression . Or maybe we are just seeing the basic level at first and you only get to see the full tree after joining the faction? But that would still seem very unbalanced with regard to the other factions who have a lot more variety.

Also, I'm still wondering how the factionless thing will work. There is no visible skill tree for an independent option. Will you have to make do with the non-faction related choices in the Combat skills tree? Will you get access to all skill trees but at a much higher cost in skill/learning points than members of the faction? It will be interesting to see how PB solved that and why Bjoern said that the factionless path may even be too appealing.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

November 19th, 2021, 20:02
Well, clerics are kind of a boring class, traditionally. I mean, they heal stuff. Not the most exciting thing in the world in a fantasy setting. lol

That said, I always make a cleric who is all about healing in party based rpgs. None of this branching out stuff, healing exclusively is the focus, I like the class played in that way, in a party of characters.

How Elex 2 will handle Clerics, I have no idea. Since its single character based, they should spice it up, you would think so anyway.
--
"Let Justice Be Done, Though The Heavens Fall"

To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 19th, 2021, 20:54
I didn't like how Elex (1) disincentivized joining any other faction than the Berserkers by making it take so much longer to be eligible to join anyone else.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

+1:

November 19th, 2021, 20:56
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Well, clerics are kind of a boring class, traditionally. I mean, they heal stuff. Not the most exciting thing in the world in a fantasy setting. lol

That said, I always make a cleric who is all about healing in party based rpgs. None of this branching out stuff, healing exclusively is the focus, I like the class played in that way, in a party of characters.
Sounds like you didn't play Elex 1. In Elex, Clerics are all about technology and they consider themselves as the true successors of the pre-apocalypse government.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Tags
elex 2
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex 2 » Elex 2