PC won't start

P

pibbur who

Hi there

I'm building a Linux machine, based on the PC I used before I got the current one, 3.5 years ago.

I've installed the motherboard in a new cabinet. Except for the cabinet, all components are the same as they were, and I didn't remove the CPU, CPU fan and RAM when moving the MB, so those are mounted exactly as they were.

When everything is mounted and cables connected, machinery starts when I push the on|off button. That is, all fans starts moving, and lights come on on the MB. Then nothing happens.

No display, not even diagnostic start up messages. No sound from the internal speaker, so no diagnostic beeps. HD LED comes on when starting, but not later. So it doesn't seem to load the OS (It had already Win7 installed).

I've verified that the screws fixing the MB to the cabinet are not too tight. I've removed internal connections and reconnected only the absolute necessary ones. Including both power connectors, and they are inserted firmly. I've tried using 3 different graphics cards, removing and reinserting RAM, nothing works.

The machine hasn't been used for 3 years, could that be the problem? I will get a new battery for the MB tomorrow, but I already removed and reinserted the old one.

pibbur who is not sure what to do next.

PS: It's not the first time I'm building a PC. DS.

PPS: MB is an ASUS p6T deluxe, CPU is a 3.5 year old I7. DS.

Last edited:
I'd actually try to remove as much as possible to limit the sources of error.

I guess your I7 has an internal graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 630)? In that case you can completely remove your PCEe card in order to test. One source of error which could result in what you described is forgetting to connect the power plug to the graphics card, though it sounds unlikely in what you already tested.

Same with the RAM, just remove everything and only use one piece for the first slot.

Check whether all power connections on your board are used. Besides of the main 24 pin connector there is also another 8 pin connector (usually on the top side of the board when its mounted). Forgetting this can also lead to the issue you described.

You already removed and reinserted the battery. You waited a few seconds for the MB to be reset?

Is there any harddrive connected to the board? If yes, is it sata or do you use m.2?

One other thing: If anything USB is connected: Try to remove it. It might try to see it as a bootable device while it isn't and freeze.

I'd actually try to remove as much as possible to limit the sources of error.

I guess your I7 has an internal graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 630)? In that case you can completely remove your PCEe card in order to test. One source of error which could result in what you described is forgetting to connect the power plug to the graphics card, though it sounds unlikely in what you already tested.
There's no vga output on the MB.

And yes, power cables for monitor are connected.
Same with the RAM, just remove everything and only use one piece for the first slot.
Did that.

Check whether all power connections on your board are used. Besides of the main 24 pin connector there is also another 8 pin connector (usually on the top side of the board when its mounted). Forgetting this can also lead to the issue you described.
Did that.
You already removed and reinserted the battery. You waited a few seconds for the MB to be reset?
Yepp.
Is there any harddrive connected to the board? If yes, is it sata or do you use m.2?
Sata. Only drive connected, disconnected DVD.

pibbut who says thanks.

If you've eliminated all those other things, I would be looking at the CMOS battery and the PSU. Malfunctioning PSUs can cause all sorts of puzzling mischief, even if they appear to be working. Could be delivering power properly on one rail, but not on another.

I'd try the CMOS battery first, since that could well be failing after sitting around for a long time.

And yes, power cables for monitor are connected.
Might have been a typo and you actually meant the card, but just in case: Usually you need to plug in 1 or 2 PCIe 2power connectors to the graphics card.

No, but shouldn't the power supply be OK, since fans start running?
If it was completely dead, then yes. But if it just doesn supply enough power for some reason, or some of the connections are broken, then there might be mixed results. While I had a couple of broken power supplies already I cannot remember anymore which symptoms there were unfortunately.

pibbur

It's possible. Could be an issue with power delivery to the MB, etc (also makes sure the 110/220v switch isn't flipped on the PSU if it has one). Also, what video cards did you try? That board is PCIe 2.0. Some new cards don't like that. I can't imagine all 3 wouldn't work, however.

pibbur

Not necessarily; if it were me, I'd try swapping out the psu first (assuming you've thoroughly checked for short circuits against the case). You could also try flashing your BIOS as one of the easier troubleshooting tactics, but I doubt that's the issue since you said you didn't change any components.

It's possible. Could be an issue with power delivery to the MB, etc (also makes sure the 110/220v switch isn't flipped on the PSU if it has one). Also, what video cards did you try? That board is PCIe 2.0. Some new cards don't like that. I can't imagine all 3 wouldn't work, however.

A Gtx 980 (which should work according to googling). A Radon in the 4800 series and an older NVidia withoutg an extra power supply inlet. Also tried inserting the card into one of the other PCIEX16 slots.

Well, from what I read here, the first thing I'll do is get a new battery (can do that tomorrow). And then get a new PSU (will take a couple of days).

Thanks for all the help so far, guys.

pibbur

Does the motherboard have diagnostic LED. Also are you using the processor GPU or a dedicated GPU ?
-
It would be easier to help if we knew more about the configuration. My guess are the following:
-
First if hte motherboard has diagnostic LED check if a code is showing.
-
Second fans run off of different power than CPU. So check if the power cable to the CPU came loose. If you are using modular PSU then make sure to check both the side that plugs into the board and the side that plugs into the PSU.
-
If you are using a dedicated GPU then make sure the ram is plugged in correctly and make sure you only have one stick plugged in while trying to identify the issue.
-
ALso it has been three years you might need to reset the cmos (if your motherboard has a reset button or jumper use it to reset the bios to the default - on my motherboard you have to hold the button 10 seconds but each board is different.
-
Anyway there are a few more things but lets start with the above. I realize you said that you didn't reseat anything but during the installation you surely removed the power cables and the ram is easy enough to bump.
-
Oh yea if this is an old amd system there might be a secondary cpu power cable required (my operand board required both the standard CPU cable and an additional floppy cable - go figure).

Use the oldest GPU if you are not using the CPU gpu. There has been changes to the pcie standard over the year and if your motherboard is 8 years old it very likely won't support a gtx 980 without a firmware update.
-
Doesn't your motherboard have a HDMI or display-port out ?
-
Sorry saw new posts after i wrote a lot.
-
PSU should be fine unless it is really old and have the faulty china capacitors that leak.

I think me mentioned he checked pretty much all you mentioned.

Also he is using a Seocket 1366. Mentioning a 3.3 year old i7 can be a bit misleading in that regard, as this one is an "enthusiast" board/cpu, with the socket being 10 years old, and replaced by 2011->2011-3->2066, which is now also the socket for i9 CPUs.

Does his board not have diagnositic LED ?
-
If it is 11 years old then he likely needs a firmware update for the gtx 980 to work.

I think me mentioned he checked pretty much all you mentioned.

Also he is using a Seocket 1366. Mentioning a 3.3 year old i7 can be a bit misleading in that regard, as this one is an "enthusiast" board/cpu, with the socket being 10 years old, and replaced by 2011->2011-3->2066, which is now also the socket for i9 CPUs.

Did you check whether the RAM is compatibel? After your Board was released there was tons of newer ram with higher speeds. The board seems to only support 2000MHz max, with 1066/1333 being the non overclocked speed.

Does his board not have diagnositic LED ?
Doesnt look like it has:
P6T-Deluxe_supper.jpg

Pic Source: https://www.bit-tech.net/previews/tech/motherboards/asus-p6t-deluxe-next-generation-x58-motherb/1/

If it is 11 years old then he likely needs a firmware update for the gtx 980 to work.

Yep, thought similarly about the CPU, however it seems like regarding CPUs there aren't any newer ones which phyically fit and are not supported.

Might be helpful to mention which cpu you are using anyways.

Firmware updates are a pain in the ass though as you'd need to make it work in the first place to apply the update.

Ok. It uses beeps for diagnostics. Page 2-40 has the codes. I know he said he wasn't getting sound but does he have one of those little speakers that plug directly into the motherboard ?

(this assumes the cpu itself is powering up).

(if it is a modular power supply I would still check that the cables on the psu side didn't come unseated during the move).

Saying things were 3.5 years old was certainly misleading. What's correct is that I got my current PC 3.5 years ago. I bought the old one long before that, of course. Must have been around 2010-2011. So the CPU is from that period. I think it's an i7 920. Too long ago to remember exactly.

The radeon card came with the machine, so that should work if things worked.

I don't think I'll bother with a firmware update. I had planned on getting a new PC when I retire early 2019, and then use the current one for Linux. So, if resetting BIOS, replacing the CMOS battery and replacing the PSU doesn't do the trick, I'll just call it a day add scratch the old thing. And get me that new PC a bit earlier than planned.

Or wait until 2019. Yeah, right. Very funny!!!

pibbur

Ok. It uses beeps for diagnostics. Page 2-40 has the codes. I know he said he wasn't getting sound but does he have one of those little speakers that plug directly into the motherboard ?
Yes.

(if it is a modular power supply I would still check that the cables on the psu side didn't come unseated during the move).
I did that.

pibbur

Back
Top Bottom