Original Sin EE - E3 Diary Part 1

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a video diary from Larian Studios about their first day at E3 and where they are showing Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition.

There is also a GameTrailers Twitch video with Larian Studios' Farhang Namdar and David Walgrave showing the game. It is over half an hour long and shows many of the new game features.

More information.

Pff that guy David Walgrave cut his hair:( I loved how he looked like some maniac scientist.

Pff that guy David Walgrave cut his hair:( I loved how he looked like some maniac scientist.

I agree. It isn't right that he did that.

There are a lot of interesting things changed with the enhanced edition. But what I'm anxiously wondering is if Larian has made inventory management any better? Love the game but I'm so tired of RPGs with zillions of objects not providing an efficient inventory management scheme to speed management up. Great game, just this little peev I have.

I like the PC first approach. I actually didn't mind watching the game being played on consoles after the fact.

Nice one on InXile:

"And who the hell is this guy ? Why is he wearing a Wasteland T-Shirt ? hmmmm, In any case he is wasted !"

LOL !

I'm curious to learn more about what they are changing with the skills.

Weren't they supposed to make some other big announcements at E3, like a new game?

3:30, that's what I was getting at about all these future console releases. Exactly what I was getting at. It's all about getting a console'er into the fold rather than some cynical sales ploy. It's people getting *Divinity*. In their *Living Room*. People for whom pc computers are work tools and nothing more, well, they get to have a really good RPG too now. And we can talk about how amazing deep RPGs are. How cool is that?

Maybe Josh Sawyer called them: ' Hey guys - you need to balance a few things…'

I hope not. Josh Sawyer might have an inner ear problem…

To be fair, I don't envy anyone the task of creating a complete RPG system -- at least one with depth -- from scratch, which is why I wish developers more often would buy up a PnP system. There are lots of them, and I bet you could get a decent one cheap enough to make it attractive compared to the investment of making your own, which will probably not turn out as well.

Obsession with balance is the bane of fun.

There's no fun in rigid balance.

Fun lies in distinct choices that matter - the more and the harder the better.

Obsession with balance is the bane of fun.
There's no fun in rigid balance.
Fun lies in distinct choices that matter - the more and the harder the better.

Unfortunately nowadays some ppl (probably mainly mainstream producers and developers) spread out this idea - "dont punish player for his choice". It means that any choice that player do must be good and playable, no bad consequences etc.

Unfortunately nowadays some ppl (probably mainly mainstream producers and developers) spread out this idea - "dont punish player for his choice". It means that any choice that player do must be good and playable, no bad consequences etc.

Yeah, I know about this design philosophy. It's a curse, really. If all choices are equally powerful - then why even have the choice.

But I don't think it's just about not punishing players - and I don't think that's what they were thinking with PoE.

No, I think their mistake is that each and every ability MUST be powerful, because why design a power that no one will want to use?

What you do is design powers that can't be measured in numbers - and you add utility and flavor.

PoE is remarkably boring when it comes to powers, because even though they look different and have different names - they all end up doing much the same thing. They "disable" in a wide variety of ways - but it's pretty much the same outcome. The enemy is taken out of the equation.

When you think about it, that's incredibly unimaginative.

Back
Top Bottom