Divinity 2 Good on x360?

Ashbery76

Watchdog
I played the demo on both PC and X360 and the console version holds up pretty well.Is the full game solid on the console? I prefer to play games when sitting on the settee.

If you go by Metacritic, the 360 version is scoring one point less, on average, than the PC version. 6.7 vs. 7.7, respectively. I believe that the difference is due mostly to graphical quality. The 360 version doesn't look as good as the PC version, and it has some framerate problems during big fights.

I know a number of people who are playing it on the 360, and all of them are saying good things about it.

Good to hear, as some of the early looks were none too flattering about the quality of the port.

A few issues I have with it; firstly the graphics are awesome but there seems to be no anti alaising, so there are terrible jaggies.

Also the camera is zoomed way out from the character and there is no way to adjust it.

The interface is kinda crappy. I've seen a screenie of the PC version and it has that nice panel on the bottom of the screen with your health and mana and items and whatnot. There's nothing like that on the 360. Just the eight buttons and the map (which displays your health and mana). Also the player screens (inventory, character sheet ect) look decidedly crap to me, although I don't know if they look any different on the PC.

A quite serious issue for me has to do with the controls. You have eight slots to assign skills and items, the D pad and the four buttons. The A button is also used to confirm menu selections and dialog, and the B button is used to back out of screens. There seems to be a glitch where by when you use the A button to make a selection, lets say select END to end a dialog, you activate that quick slot. So for example if you have a health potion on you A button, every time you end a dialog you will use potion. Same with the B button. Every time you exit a screen you active the B button's quick slot. So you really have no choice but to leave A and B empty, and that leaves only six quick slots. To access any other skills and items you pause (by pushing down on the right stick, the open either an item menu or a skill menu and select what you want to use. The problem is, something that you will use a lot like your dragons stones and summon skull are in there with all your potions and food and other cunsumables and you end up having to scroll through them all every time you want to use an item.

None of these things are game stoppers but I thought it might help to mention them.

A quite serious issue for me has to do with the controls. You have eight slots to assign skills and items, the D pad and the four buttons. The A button is also used to confirm menu selections and dialog, and the B button is used to back out of screens. There seems to be a glitch where by when you use the A button to make a selection, lets say select END to end a dialog, you activate that quick slot. So for example if you have a health potion on you A button, every time you end a dialog you will use potion. Same with the B button. Every time you exit a screen you active the B button's quick slot. So you really have no choice but to leave A and B empty, and that leaves only six quick slots.

That's a bad glitch. I heard about it with respect to the 'B' button, but not the 'A' button as well, and I didn't realize it happened every time (thought it was just occasional).

I can't see why they would not have caught that during testing. Hopefully they will patch it soon. I agree, that would be annoying.

I’ve seen and played a bit of the Xbox 360 version of Divinity 2 (Although I’m playing the PC version right now). There’re two things I like that X360 version has but PC version hasn’t. Fix camera distance, first. If you’ve seen Div 2 on the PC you know that camera distance constantly changes according to the way you look. This constant zooming in and out sometimes gives me a headache. But, there is no option to fix the camera in the menu.

Second, X360 version has the easily readable, large text fonts, PC version has so little fonts. Of course, there is no option to change that too in the PC.

I wrote in the official forum about these and asked the devs the chance to put these options in the game with a later patch. No one cared. So, I think I’m the only one who has problem with it.

Other than that, graphics are a little less detailed in Xbox 360 according to the PC (which is normal bec of the memory restrictions). Framerate is well (if we compare it to Venetica or Two Worlds, in both of them framerates are terrible), there are some FPS drops but PC version isn’t shining about this anyway (Framerate drops on the PC version is also common I’m afraid. My PC is slightly above the recommended system, but my framerate sometimes drops too). I’ve seen better ones but the interface isn’t that bad, since I used to Xbox 360 controller thanks to playing Fallout 3 on it nearly 200 hours). As the gameplay is in a TPS style, gamepad controller suits well to the game.

Long story short: You can buy the Xbox 360 version without any doubt. Playing the game with a controller while sprawling in my couch is superb. I can not find this opportunity much I’m afraid, because my wife has a full dominion over the TV and Xbox 360 controller. :biggrin:

And fwiw, I asked about the A/B button glitch mentioned above, and no one reported problems with it. I don't think it's a consistent thing.

Back
Top Bottom