Enoch: Underground - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Enoch: Underground is a hardcore action RPG that released today on Steam.

About This Game

The battle was lost ages ago and now the barren ruins hold nothing but echoes of once great civilization. Amidst the dust, few that remain are still clinging to their existence, far beyond the point where they could be called human.

But the hope still lingers.

On the outskirts of the forgotten city, a lone soul awakens from millennial slumber. Lost and forgotten, he finds himself in catacombs and now his way lies through the treacherous ruins to the very heart of it.

OVERVIEW

Enoch - Underground is a hardcore action-RPG title set in an ancient city destroyed long time ago. The player takes control of the awakened - one of the few survivors left in the city. Without a goal and without memories he starts his way through the ruins striving to find his place in this hostile world.

GAMEPLAY

The gameplay is based on classic action RPGs with such features as complex environments, precise battle system, and generous loot, but makes accessibility a staple of game's design.

The character progression is entirely loot-based, eliminating the need for complex character menus while retaining flexibility and customization options. Each weapon type has unique stats and attack patterns, armor can provide additional protection and sometimes valuable buffs, trinkets and mutagens allow to change character's abilities, providing an advantage in combat.

Encounters require patience and precision but give just enough room for error to get familiar with enemy's attack patterns and develop a strategy to withstand them. The game is balanced to be hard but fair so that completing the playthrough gives the sense of achievement while the process of doing so does not feel like a chore.

FEATURES

• Different weapon types, each with unique attack patterns
  • Powerful artifacts that boost player stats or provide new skills
  • Varied environments and enemies
  • Precise, dynamic combat system
  • Deadly environmental traps that you can turn to your advantage
  • Devastating special attacks and skills
More information.

So many games. I wonder if at some point the market will be saturated or maybe the cost of entry is cheap enough these days that there is no limit ?

I'm amazed that we have both BROWN and GRAY. Wow! We also get to roll around constantly like Geriatric from The Wobbly Witcher fame.

So many games. I wonder if at some point the market will be saturated or maybe the cost of entry is cheap enough these days that there is no limit ?

Not for me either, but it seems anyone with the sufficient computer skill talent can try their luck at a computer game. 100 dollars goes to steam, and many computer engines are pretty cheap to license out these days. The one thing that one has to sacrifice is time, and it looks like that enough young people are willing to live in poverty 2-3 years to try their luck making a game. Its a big gamble and many developers make one game and then move on because things don't pan out.

It may appear to be game saturation, but many of these games released in the past ten years tend to be average, or quite below that level. Most of the games that I find myself habitually replaying tend to come from the eighties and nineties, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

It may appear to be game saturation, but many of these games released in the past ten years tend to be average, or quite below that level. Most of the games that I find myself habitually replaying tend to come from the eighties and nineties, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Funny you should mention the 80s and 90s... just started might and magic 8... never finished that game so now I’m going to. The graphics aren’t pretty, and I don’t like that you create just one character and hire the rest... but the gameplay and progression of these very old MM games still outclasses many contemporary offerings.

I think its easy to forget that the 80s and 90s had their share of forgettable rpgs. I played Thunderstone for a couple of hours before giving up on it, and I think that one was lucky enough to make it on GOG. There were other ones that haven't. Its easy to look back and see the classics like the Might and Magics, Realms of Arkanas, Ultimas, and Wizardries. I think when people look back at our time in 10 or 20 years, there will also be a few games people will look back on fondly, though the vast majority will be forgotten.

I think its easy to forget that the 80s and 90s had their share of forgettable rpgs.
Eh.. forgetting forgettable games should by definition be very easy….

pibbur, temporarily in a nitpicking mode and therefore not contributing to the thread

Oh, as often as I cite games from those time periods that I frequently replay, there are far more that I do not. Each and every single decade has its fair amount of computer drek!!!

Looks like simple fun, but I already have Grim Dawn and Diablo II. For that price, though, one could afford to only play it now and then.

hardcore with no leveling, seems impossible.

People only remember the good games from the 80s and 90s while we visit the Watch every day and see these generic games. Still, if you only pick the best games from the last 5 years, you'll see plenty of good stuff (and a lot of almost good stuff). I think we are living a great era for RPGs in the last few years but unfortunately, there are SO MANY games that sometimes it can be hard to track the most interesting ones.

This is true and to be honest a lot of the great games back in the day were great because they were new experience but the games themselves were not that special (imho). The problem today is that there are SO MANY bad games it is hard to find that gem.

People only remember the good games from the 80s and 90s while we visit the Watch every day and see these generic games. Still, if you only pick the best games from the last 5 years, you'll see plenty of good stuff (and a lot of almost good stuff). I think we are living a great era for RPGs in the last few years but unfortunately, there are SO MANY games that sometimes it can be hard to track the most interesting ones.

Reviews are saying 'hardcore' refers to the difficulty. Without a skills/leveling system all you have is gear to pass an area as grinding isn't a tactic. One review talks about a game ending scenario in the first 3 hours (for that player anyway).

Back
Top Bottom