What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

By Ghost Stories you mean the recent movie and not tv show, right? This one?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5516328/
This one.

But you say hidden gem and the thing up there is pretty much mainstream.
Well, it wasn't advertised anywhere I know of, never heard of it by my movie buff friends, I found it by sheer luck.

Is it possible you're talking about this cult classic:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058279
Yeah, I know about this one, a great classic.
But no, Kwaidan is not cult per se, as far as I know. This is a very famous film among art film goers, and if I'm not mistaken, it was selected at a prestigious film festival as well. Kwaidan is a very famous period piece / fable movie in is native Japan as well.

Well… Depends on what you consider cult when it comes to movies. ;)

I have a suggestion for you though. This one:
Cigarette Burns

Several reasons. It was hard to come by in the past even if you've heard about it's existence. The director proved being a master of craft once again (the main mystery doesn't get completely resolved but characters evolve). Main role was played by star from upcoming Death Stranding videogame. Finally, it's not about cigarettes. :)

Yea… Music in it pretty much sux. ;)
I refuse to give out actual story details as less you know, the better.

I promise to watch those two you've mentioned as soon as possible. Unless those aren't available in my geozone, that'll be next weekend.

I have a suggestion for you though. This one:
Cigarette Burns

Yup, I've seen this one, very good!
I'm a huge Carpenter fan for life (even liked his "lesser" movies, like The Ward and Vampire$), and also really enjoy these ahem... "dark satires" about the movie industry (see also: Sunset Boulevard), so this one is a top pick for me!

I just don't know why they'd mess with the Marvel character that has worked so well in the comic books. I'm certain they'll work in the Binary parts at some point, but hopefully not in the very first film. I want to see her heavy espionage back round fully fleshed out before she get abilities and such, because at her base, that is what Danvers is really all about.

Some sad movie news for everyone to share. It seems Gary Kurtz the producer of Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back died today at the age of 78. May the force be with him.

Yeah tried to watch it on my PC but turned it off. Not my thing.

Another thing to notice is how Nicolas Cage is now a has been.

Well at least I still like some of his earlier movies.

I watched "the later version". With Lisa Bonet.
EDIT:
Missed this:

Cheers overrated star gets major role, laughable script, Emilia tries to save the day but with such pisspoor writing it just can't be done.
Waste of time and money, skip at all costs. If you can't skippit, get high prior to watching this abortion so you can endure it.
Too late! Drink a couple of Belgian beers with it, then it gets easier to swallow.

Mandy Really liked it, Cage was stellar (like he can be). Kind of reminded me of Hellraiser and a Tarantino horror movie, though with its own rather special pacing. The mix of a total calm + absolute terror was great. And no, i can never get enough of that 80's vibe. 8/10

Deadpool 2 I liked the first one (though it's a movie i could only watch once, the second time it wasn't very good). This one was a big letdown. Had 1-2 laugh out loud moments but.. 5/10

IT (2017) No. Really did not like this at all, neither did i like Pennywise or the numerous "hallucinations" which are not scary, just stupid and cheap. If there's one thing i hate about horror it's when they are trying to do something "scary" with dreams or things that are not there. Turned it off after 40 min, not worth spending time on.

The Grey Starts off really good, loved the first 40 mins or so, didn't keep my interest up though. 6/10

Last edited:
I also saw Mandy recently. I was skeptical going in because I'm not a fan of Cage at all, but the movie was really good in that campy 80's kind of way.

It was like the original Evil Dead, Hellraiser, and Children of the Corn all thrown into a blender.

I like to save Nicholas Cage movies for silly nights in with my friends.

...and some great terrible movies.

"No! Not the bees!"

Well Cage has eight movies in production so hopefully one is good.

A couple of my favorite Cage Movies.

1. 8MM
  2. Gone in Sixty Seconds
  3. The Family Man
  4. Lord of War
  5. Next
  6. Bangkok Dangerous
  7. Knowing
  8. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  9. Season of the Witch
  10. Drive Angry

Gotta have The Wicker man in there.

Also, on the good side, Leaving Las Vegas.

The Wicker Man remake is widely considered one of the great so-bad-it's-good films. The original I think is great, and the remake is definitely best seen as an unintentional parody.

I do find Cage a bold actor, and in the right movie he can be very memorable. But when you put him is a bad movie, it can become spectacularly terrible

The Wicker Man remake is widely considered one of the great so-bad-it's-good films. The original I think is great, and the remake is definitely best seen as an unintentional parody.

I do find Cage a bold actor, and in the right movie he can be very memorable. But when you put him is a bad movie, it can become spectacularly terrible

He's extremely intense, which can be both really hilarious and also very fitting for some roles. Clearly a lot of movies could not have been made without him, or well, they could have but they just wouldn't be very good. Bad Lieutenant is one of them. Might have to check out Wickerman.

Speaking of The Grey (which I enjoyed), I recently watched that made-for-Netflix movie entitled Hold the Dark with a more mystical (perhaps), highly ambiguous take on "killer" wolves in the wild. Directed by Jeremy Saulnier who did the excellent Blue Ruin and Green Room, it just didn't work for me because it was too ambiguous, and bases its premise on "savaging" - wild animals killing and eating their own young for the greater good of the herd/pack, but the plot uses this as an analogy with its human characters. It does have an exciting ultra-violent action sequence though where a cop-hating man of eskimo descent with hardcore combat skills goes berserk and slaughters scores of sheepish, inexperienced Alaskan police, but the film overall didn't work for me despite an interesting and odd twist you'll only catch if you pay close attention:

They're brother and sister.

You all were talking about Mandy but it appears the release was extremely limited... there is vod but never been a fan of vod.
-
As for grey - i liked the start but after a while it lost credibility. While not all movies require credibility a movie like Grey really does need a least a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom