Baldur's Gate 3 - In Development ?

We need more solid news than just a Brian Fargo tweet...:)
I'm a fanboy, but that could mean different things.

Regardless, the prospect of more D&D games is awesome! We need a whole series of games like the old modules with each game revolving around a module-like adventure...that would be a dream come true.

Other dreamy things, that the games are all full 6 party members, isometric, most beautiful graphics (from that perspective) ever seen, and using the original 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons ruleset. :biggrin:

I think it will use DnD 5 and the “new“ setting.
Does the city of Baldur's Gate still exist there?
It does. It is pretty much the only place that thrived and when they decided to destroy the setting in 4e.

In the 5th edition it's still doing very well. (btw. early 5th edition adventure module "Murder in Baldur's Gate" featured the protagonist of the BG games, canonically called Abdel Adrian, who was at the time one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate and the Marshall of the Flaming Fist.)

I'm not entirely sure where they are at this stage. After the universe-shattering twaddle typical of terrible writing, people were pretty hacked off, and I understand there was another batch of universe-repairing twaddle to put things back to something like they were before. I tuned out before getting a handle on the details, though, and I'm sure others know more.

The Sundering pretty much reverted all the stupid changes the Spellplague brought. The geography is mostly just as it was in 3e, all the sunken lands resurfaced, all the transplanted lands from Abeir returned to their original plane, all the destroyed realms are back. The timeline has still moved forward though, so it stands at about 120 years after the events of BG2.

Most importantly, the "let's kill most of the deities" soap opera has been reverted as well, so all the "dead" gods are back in the game. They even went as far as bringing back the gods that "died" before the Spellplague such as those "killed" during Time of Troubles like Bhaal.

The Sundering pretty much reverted all the stupid changes the Spellplague brought. The geography is mostly just as it was in 3e, all the sunken lands resurfaced, all the transplanted lands from Abeir returned to their original plane, all the destroyed realms are back. The timeline has still moved forward though, so it stands at about 120 years after the events of BG2.

Most importantly, the "let's kill most of the deities" soap opera has been reverted as well, so all the "dead" gods are back in the game. They even went as far as bringing back the gods that "died" before the Spellplague such as those "killed" during Time of Troubles like Bhaal.

hehe....reminds me of the old soap opera Dallas...when they had a whole story arc that 'was just a dream'....

The current state of affairs doesn't sound too bad, then. It's 120 years later, but we're essentially back to the good old days, and let's not ask too many questions about what's been occurring in between. :biggrin: I can play along with that, so long as the current world feels coherent.

Hire Owlcat Games to do it! :biggrin:

I'm excited by it. I hope it's not Larian or Obsidian, personally. Owlcat would be the clear choice for me. While playing Kingmaker I can't help but feel I'm playing a new Baldur's Gate with a lot of love and effort poured into it. I'd take Beamdog, too. Believe it or not the Siege of Dragonspear module was fun and worth playing, even if they made it a bit too "epic" at times with the bestiary choices. Either way it sounds great. I hope they continue the series with a solid ruleset that doesn't change from game to game or get patched incessantly (Obsidian), and you can import characters into Baldur's Gate 4! :) Hoping the same for Pathfinder, too.

Well, if you were to pick based upon who has made the best BG clone to date, that would be Owlcat.

Hire Owlcat Games to do it! :biggrin:

I'm excited by it. I hope it's not Larian or Obsidian, personally. Owlcat would be the clear choice for me. While playing Kingmaker I can't help but feel I'm playing a new Baldur's Gate with a lot of love and effort poured into it. ...

Agree. The fact that this news hit right after the release of Pathfinder... coincidence? Good for them. Kingmaker is pretty much already BG3 with better a stronghold mini-game.

Either Obsidian or Owlcat would be fine by me. Beamdog?…maybe, I didn't think SoD was that bad at all (controversies aside).

No matter who develops it though, the main thing for me is that they stay reasonably faithful to the gameplay in the originals. As long as that is the case, I know I'll get my moneys worth even if both storytelling & characters fail to live up to the predecessors.

Why not the guys from Pathfinder: Kingmaker? The engine could be used 1:1. "Just" implement the new rule set for 5e and maybe hire better writers: done.
NOOOOO! Those guys maybe have good ideas, but they are so bad with game engine and technical stuff, so please not them - do we really want BG 3 to be bug ridden alfa stage load screen simulator?
tenor.gif

NOOOOO! Those guys maybe have good ideas, but they are so bad with game engine and technical stuff, so please not them - do we really want BG 3 to be bug ridden alfa stage load screen simulator?
tenor.gif

I get less loading screen times with Kingmaker than I did PoE. And they are patching like crazy. Just got a 3.4gb mega update too with more to come. And their patches aren't tweaking ruleset stats like Obsidian endlessly does. I don't have faith in Larian to do a proper BG-style game, either Owlcat or Beamdog since Siege of Dragonspear was a quality product. I'd still prefer Owlcat though, but I'd rather them focus on extra DLC for Kingmaker and a sequel with the same ruleset. :)

"I happen to know who is working on BG3 ;)"

"No one."

Thanks, Brian.

Baldurs Hate III needs a turn-based system, then my wallet is in!

If its still realtime-pause, I hope they announce that BG3 now contains Tentacle Hentai as well..

Whether or not someone's working on BG3, there was the article from late last year which said WoTC has several D&D video game deals in the works. So hopefully something decent (TB) comes out of that. I'd love a new Dark Sun CRPG but not going to hold my breath.

I get less loading screen times with Kingmaker than I did PoE. And they are patching like crazy. Just got a 3.4gb mega update too with more to come. And their patches aren't tweaking ruleset stats like Obsidian endlessly does. I don't have faith in Larian to do a proper BG-style game, either Owlcat or Beamdog since Siege of Dragonspear was a quality product. I'd still prefer Owlcat though, but I'd rather them focus on extra DLC for Kingmaker and a sequel with the same ruleset. :)
Sorry Flunet I've never played an RPG with so many load screens ranging from 30 seconds to two minutes. Owlcat could be a good choice, but they have to ditch Unity.

They need to work on quality control also not just them either. As Obsidian, Beamdog, Larian, & Inxile release bug ridden games nowadays. It's become the industry standard.
Whether or not someone's working on BG3, there was the article from late last year which said WoTC has several D&D video game deals in the works. So hopefully something decent (TB) comes out of that. I'd love a new Dark Sun CRPG but not going to hold my breath.
Bet most are either Co-op, or some type of live game world. As WoTC hates licensing the IP for single-player games. Fargo mentioned his last game will be a live sandbox RPG.

30 seconds to 2 minute load screens? Yeesh. Longest I've had is 7 seconds or so going to the throne room. Might be time to upgrade the toaster, couch. :D I'm also on an SSD, though.

30 seconds to 2 minute load screens? Yeesh. Longest I've had is 7 seconds or so going to the throne room. Might be time to upgrade the toaster, couch. :D I'm also on an SSD, though.
I'm using a HD/SSD Hybrid drive Fluent.

StorageReview-SEAGATE_FIRECUDA_LAPTOP-SSHD_2TB_Dynamic.jpg

The load times get worse the longer you play. Sounds like a memory leak.

Pathfinder is not the only game as most Unity RPGs have this problem.

Also various sites have talked about this problem and concluded it's due to coding.

This sums up Pathfinder: KingMaker.
Get into town, instant port into throne room *load screen* click table *load screen* want to build barrack in village *load screen* build barracks, leave village menu *load screen* leave table *load screen* leave throne room *load screen* leave plaza *load screen* travel to new area *load screen*
Repeat for as long as you play.

I think I've had a few load screens take as long as thirty seconds to render, but that's not too long. If I put up with some truly epic load times in the eighties and nineties for computers, well, most of today's fare seems lightening fast to me in comparison. Yeah I'm using an SSD but it isn't exceptional by any means, and will be four years old at the end of this year.

Back
Top Bottom