What games are you playing now?

Got a fair few hours in on Andromeda over the weekend. Its ok - I'm quite enjoying it for a change of pace - but I can see why it wasn't loved. The companion characters seem a bit flat compared to the previous series, which is a let down for a Bioware space opera (PeeBee, in particular, is just hugely annoying). The dialogue isn't too bad on the whole, but I'm missing the old paradigm/renegade options. It might have been a false choice but it least it felt like a choice. More often than I'd like, the options in Andromeda seem to boil down to "agree" or "agree with a sarky comment".

On the positive side, I'm really impressed with the graphics and how well it runs on my rather rundown PC. Wandering around the galaxy and finding new planets never looked this good before! And the weird facial animations people were talking about on release must have all been fixed, I haven't noticed anything like that.

I finally finished Orginal Sin 2, and started Dragon’s Dogma. It feels rather primitive and the UI is truly horrible. Will be trying Dark Souls today with a newer mouse and keyboard mod. Wish me luck dealing with another console port. ;)

Yeah, I just found out. Yuck.

Has anyone killed the Asylum Demon on first encounter? The best I could do is get him down about a quarter health, roll dodging like hell to stay behind him.

Has anyone killed the Asylum Demon on first encounter? The best I could do is get him down about a quarter health, roll dodging like hell to stay behind him.

You will get a nice prize if you kill him on first encounter. Otherwise you can shave off good amount of health when you jump-drop on him afterwards, or you can attack him with ranged weapons on the second encounter (depending on your build).

I played through Age of Decadence again as a thief, then played a couple of runs through Slay the Spire and I'm now playing Dungeon Rats again.

It's a really fun game actually even though it has a slightly repetitive nature due to the handplaced fights. I'm playing with a throwing weapon build which is quite different to my usual approach.

I don't remember the UI in Dragon's Dogma being bad, though I do remember the spell names being annoyingly cryptic.

I played through Age of Decadence again as a thief, then played a couple of runs through Slay the Spire and I'm now playing Dungeon Rats again.

It's a really fun game actually even though it has a slightly repetitive nature due to the handplaced fights. I'm playing with a throwing weapon build which is quite different to my usual approach.

I enjoyed Dungeon Rats, but not as much as I thought I would do. I drifted away from it during one of the giant worm fights. The combat was challenging and diverse, but the game had started to feel too linear for me. I knew it was going to be combat focussed and I was fine with that, but I thought there would be some exploration/alternative routes etc.

Starting as a pyromancer is apparently the easiest way to kill him, but "dodging like hell" is pretty much how the combat works in the game.

I enjoyed Dungeon Rats, but not as much as I thought I would do. I drifted away from it during one of the giant worm fights. The combat was challenging and diverse, but the game had started to feel too linear for me. I knew it was going to be combat focussed and I was fine with that, but I thought there would be some exploration/alternative routes etc.

Yup, there are only three/four optional fights in the entire game. That makes it quite linear. I just finished it and I do not think I'll replay this one for a while.

I still had a lot of fun with a new build, which I guess is what makes the game fun for me.

Most "strategies" in Souls revolve circle strafing/roll through ( or getting behind/to the side, "hugging the enemy) as much as possible), wait for the longest attack, attack two times, back away, repeat.
If you want an easy/cheat mode, use magic/ranged attacks ( AI really is too poor to deal with it).
It's not a difficult game, simply cheap+everything hits hard, until you learn what AI/encounters revolve around.

I had a good evening with Andromeda and a pizza/beer.

You had a good evening because of pizza/beer, of course. With any game you would have had a good time, ME:A only was there by chance.

You had a good evening because of pizza/beer, of course. With any game you would have had a good time, ME:A only was there by chance.

Depends on the amount of beer, obviously.

pibbur who doesn't drink beer and hasn't played the above mentioned game.

After buying this almost a month ago, today I fired up Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel two, for the computer. I've only played an hour so far, but I'm totally back in love with this series, you really don't know how much you missed something until you have it back again!!

Most "strategies" in Souls revolve circle strafing/roll through ( or getting behind/to the side, "hugging the enemy) as much as possible), wait for the longest attack, attack two times, back away, repeat.
If you want an easy/cheat mode, use magic/ranged attacks ( AI really is too poor to deal with it).
It's not a difficult game, simply cheap+everything hits hard, until you learn what AI/encounters revolve around.

So maybe a slow heavy armored knight is more of hindrance than a help if he's too slow to dodge? I found the only chance in hell I had against that demon was to take off the armor to be able to dodge fast enough.

So maybe a slow heavy armored knight is more of hindrance than a help if he's too slow to dodge? I found the only chance in hell I had against that demon was to take off the armor to be able to dodge fast enough.

Depends on how you're playing, but yes, armor in DS amounts to paper when it comes to reducing damage, it's more useful for resistance to stagger(ing) and different effects.
Against bosses, in general, it's better to evade attacks entirely.

After buying this almost a month ago, today I fired up Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel two, for the computer. I've only played an hour so far, but I'm totally back in love with this series, you really don't know how much you missed something until you have it back again!!

I'm jealous on both you and HiddenX.
Honestly I wish I jumped on that one first. Instead of FF15 grinding chorefest.

Back
Top Bottom