1st - Disco Elysium
2nd - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3rd - Slay the Spire

Best Remake/Port

Romancing SaGa 3

Best DLC/Expansion

Underrail: Expedition
More information.

I didn't even vote this year as I played 0 RPGs released in 2019.

Thanks to this site I got to play and enjoy Slay the Spire, and I can understand how it would make a game of the year list. It's really good, and I intend to go back and play again with a new class at some point, since once you get through the game it appears that other classes become available to play.

Can't stop laughing at those picks but hey who cares.:lol:

Anyway haven't played any of those top three games and never will.

Disco Elysium is amazing, but those other two seem way below the Codex's usual standards, and if you look at the data, not a lot of people there even played them. It really was a terrible year.

Honestly, those are three really good games. Probably not the purest examples of RPG, but I mean, people are picking Phoenix Point in here. Or garbage like The Outer Worlds. Maybe I should visit RPG Codex afterall.

Their vote is conducted a lot differently from the one here. People are supposed to only rate games they've played on a 1-4 scale, and the winners come out of a formula based on those ratings. The winners can end up being played by relatively few people. If they did their voting the same way RPGWatch does, I'd think Outer Worlds probably would have won 2nd over there. Half of the people who played it liked it, and it was played by around 2.5X as many people as those 2nd and 3rd place games. Likely would have gotten more raw votes.

I don't mean to say that one method is better than the other etc, just saying.

Bloodstained got 2nd place???? A Metroidvaina??? They can't be serious!!

I do like the graph they put out.

Queens wish is not ranked as high as I would have suspected. The percentage of people who played is what I expected but I would have thought most of those people would be spiderweb fans. As kind of a self selecting group I would have thought they'd have liked it more.

Titan outpost was played by almost no one but those that did all loved it. Might have to check it out.

For a somewhat recent release I'm surprised by how many people played disco Elysium already.

Operencia was also very well received by the few who played it.

Attachments

• 17093.jpg
    17093.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Guess this gets deluded since everybody can vote. You don't need an account.
But yeah... a Metroidvania and a card game...

I don't know the codex very well, but I expected more hardcore RPGs. The most RPG-like game here is Disco Elysium I guess.

I get they want lesser played games to have a chance too. But then again, aren't popular games better by default? Honest question, obviously it depends on what they want to achieve. It's great they are playing around with the ranking and as there isn't a best way they can change it each year for fun.

A bit off topic, I thought it would be (more) fun to have a list on the watch that ranks all those GOTY lists out there instead of the games themselves. Or in general rank the review sites with the better (or worst, for more fun) reviews of last year. What was the most abysmal and plain wrong RPG review you read?

Can't stop laughing at those picks but hey who cares.:lol:

Anyway haven't played any of those top three games and never will.

Indeed. They seem to miss the irony of their whole outlook being to attack anything RPG with furious controversy while upvoting the most absurd derivations that completely contradict the title of their website.

They should rename the site RoguelikeCodex, as that seems to be the only genre they routinely give a free pass to and actually like.

I get they want lesser played games to have a chance too. But then again, aren't popular games better by default? Honest question, obviously it depends on what they want to achieve.

Popular games draw more attention due to merchandise and hype, but the fact that the game reaches more people does not mean it's a better game.

In general, popularity does say something about the game, but not always "this game is better than less popular games", otherwise EA would have the best games every year based on the amount of cash they throw on merchandise.

Honestly, those are three really good games. Probably not the purest examples of RPG, but I mean, people are picking Phoenix Point in here. Or garbage like The Outer Worlds. Maybe I should visit RPG Codex afterall.
If you consider TOW being garbage you indeed have another taste than a lot (perhaps the most?) members of the watch. Of course it has its flaws, but garbage? Really? :roll:

I like that system; you can only comment (vote) on games you actually played. Having said that they included some questionable games (questionable from an rpg perspective).

Their vote is conducted a lot differently from the one here. People are supposed to only rate games they've played on a 1-4 scale, and the winners come out of a formula based on those ratings. The winners can end up being played by relatively few people. If they did their voting the same way RPGWatch does, I'd think Outer Worlds probably would have won 2nd over there. Half of the people who played it liked it, and it was played by around 2.5X as many people as those 2nd and 3rd place games. Likely would have gotten more raw votes.

I don't mean to say that one method is better than the other etc, just saying.

A metroidvania game just seems strange and doesn´t really compute with what I usually read from the codex

But Titan Outpost seems interesting so will try that

Slay The Spire is simply ab fab.

RPG-ness of it is somewhat questionable though to my way of thinking. Your chosen character type has a small inventory to make decisions about as your run progresses and there are merchants along the way. 'Levelling'-style decisions revolve around whether to thin your deck or add to it, for example.

But geez it's good if you like that style of game - really well balanced/tuned.

There's not much Obsidian love at the toxic waste dump, so perhaps it's no surprise they'd pick a non-RPG card game instead. I do like the idea of a separate DLC/Expansion category though.

Slay the spire is fun but the game is very simplisitic at the end (I wish it had more content); that simplisiticy allows for good balance but regardless i just don't see how it is an rpg or even related to an rpg. It is sort of a strategy game but not really. In any event while it is fun i just can't see it being goty. It just doesn't have enough depth. The game i want to at least explore is Operencia. Maybe i'll try it when it leaves epic exclusive then again maybe not. At least the time period for this game won't depend on the new consoles and if most of the major releases get pushed back to later in 2020 when the new consoles come out that might be a plus.

Back
Top Bottom