RPGWatch - The End is Nigh

I’ve been visiting this site daily for so many years. (Even before i made and a count in 2016). It became one of my few go to sites as part of my daily checklist to see what is going on. (nhl.com, mlb.com, fark.com… and rpgwatch).
I haven’t posted much but i read all the regulars comments daily and feel like i know them even though they have no clue i exist. I will miss this site as part of my daily routine, very sad to hear but i understand the choice being made and respect it.

I have never posted much, being more of a lurker than someone who likes to post his opinions, but I have been following this site for my RPG news from the start (and even a bit before that at RPGDot). I will miss this site a lot if it would go away, but I fully respect your decision. When you do something for a long time you can grow out of it or become very weary of it. I also understand that I would not be easy to hand it over to someone else.

Anyway, what I would like to say most is, thanks for all those years :thanks:

Deep appreciation for everything! This is the ending of an era even if the reins get passed. It's my hope that you find capable, even-keeled hands to steer this ship for many more years to come but I'd rather see it go peacefully than become something completely different as well.

May everyone's adventures continue into the sunset.

Hey guys, a Codexer here. My main account seems to be locked here. How is RPGDot hosted (what code base does it run, how much does it cost?)
It's not for sale. Also formally, it is questionable and potentially illegal according to GDPR. This because the criteria of the forum has changed and that requires each and every user to formally accept that change. This is impossible to do. The chances of anyone filing a complaint over what RPGDot is now are slim, which is why it is up. RPGDot is now only a bunch of static HTML files and just needs space.

Unless you meant RPGWatch. But basically for that the same applies as above, except that it is not static :)

As a sidenote, please don't use Drupal, it's a horrible idea. We're not in 2010 anymore
I am aware that Drupal has its issues, just as any other CMS player out there has, but there is simply no competing with a CMS that a bunch of people are working on, compared to something two persons made in 2006. It simply is not maintainable in the long run, so I would never propose to make something like that from scratch again.

I didn't know there was a Discord channel either, that's good to know! :)

I visited it last night. Discord is more like messenger... there's a lot of immediate back and forth chatting. Which is nice, but not much like a forum

A subreddit would be closer imo to what we're used to here.

Both have their plusses. It was kind of nice to have real conversations with Watchers last night.

I visited it last night. Discord is more like messenger… there's a lot of immediate back and forth chatting. Which is nice, but not much like a forum

A subreddit would be closer imo to what we're used to here.

Both have their plusses. It was kind of nice to have real conversations with Watchers last night.

I pop up now and then on Discord, mostly some game sites like Pathfinder, Encased, Mechajammer, the Expeditions series and so on. It's nice but as you say, not the same purpose as a forum.

There's no reason not to have both a discord and a reddit. The discord is already showing some signs of life so adding a reddit for more static elements would be natural. The best, most active Morrowind sites have both, as an example.

I'm still reading through this thread, but I've offered my help to Myrthos in whatever capacity he wants to utilize it. I could take on the Watch alongside the other sites I already host.

Ouch, this place has almost become like a online family over the years, if it closes down without replacement, I'll really miss all the people here!

Totally understand your decisions though Myrthos, if it feels like a task instead of a joy to do something in your spare time, it is time to stop doing it.

Last edited:
I would also like to thank Myrthos and every other contributor to this site.
I check it every day 5-10 times to read news about the games that interest me, and have been doing this 2-3 years before i even registered.
I feel really sad for the decision to close it but i respect it.
Thank you once again and i wish you all true happiness in all aspects of your life!

Ouch, this place has almost become like a online family over the years, if it closes down without replacement, I'll really miss all the people here!

Totally understand your decisions though Myrthos, if it feels like a task instead of a joy to do something in your spare time, it is time to stop doing it.

100% agree

It's not for sale.

I meant how much hosting it costs. :S
If it's static html, then nevermind. If you have a tool to turn your entire site into static html pages, that would work too, if you're going to host it in read-only mode. Are you, though?

Indeed, a family is exactly what this place has felt like for me, through thick and thin. I also extend my thanks to everyone involved with maintaining this site over the decades, it may have seemed thankless yet know that you've had a positive affect on many people.

Really sad news!...

Back
Top Bottom