The TV Series discussion thread

I've watched the first 3 episodes of Sharp Objects, it's interesting so far. Obviously there's a lot to the backstory that hasn't come completely forward as of yet. I'm not the biggest fan of the lead person, but I can tolerate a good deal for a compelling story.

I've watched the first two episodes of Outcast, series two. Not sure what took so long for this series to get on the telly, it feels like series one was like two or three years ago. Even with the long gap, this show picks up close to where it left off, and is really worth watching. The sad part is, of course, this is yet another show that featured Reginald Cathey, who passed away earlier this year, what a fine actor that man was.

Ok, I just finished the first season of The Terror. (from what I read there'll be a second second, but it won't have anything to do with the first; it's in the anthology style it seems. which is great, because the first season finished very nicely)

And I said in my first mention, it was very good. Excellent writing, excellent locations and shooting. Top notch stuff. Highly recommend it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708480/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Finished Westworld season 2 - enjoyed it, although I was confused by some parts :p I think I have it mostly squared away in my head now. I was really hoping they'd wrap it up after 2 seasons, but that seems an impossible wish with any series these days.

Final Space - not bad, reasonably amusing, will continue
The Expanse S2 - better than S1, looking fwd to S3
Altered Carbon - 3 eps in and on hold, other half doesn't like it, I watch it constantly trying to remember WTF happened in the book.
Lost in Space - 5 eps in, intriguing enough to keep watching and because the kids like it
Sharp Objects - have watched 3 eps, meh, slow, I'm tired of serial killers, especially those set in hicksville USA. Will watch again if I'm in the room and other half puts it on I suppose but it's close to being a go do something else show.
Star Trek - 1 ep, good enough to watch another episode if I ever get the TV to myself.
Finished Buffy S3, looking forward to S4. Mildly interested in talk of a reboot.
Oh yeah and ep1 of Dirk Gently - reminded me of Hitchhikers Guide (well duh), other half didn't like it, too chaotic. She didn't like Hitchhikers Guide either. Will compete with the above if/when I can get the box to myself.

Last edited:
Finished Buffy S3, looking forward to S4.
Don't forget Angel S1, as some serious crossovers are starting now:
Buffy and Angel Episode Viewing Order

Incidentally the remake talk made me start to watch the original Buffy again, too. I'm only 7 episodes into S1 though. Remembered all of the pilot, but after that it's almost all blank. Probably missed a loooot of episodes so now I plan on following the viewing order above.

Oh yeah and ep1 of Dirk Gently - reminded me of Hitchhikers Guide (well duh), other half didn't like it, too chaotic. She didn't like Hitchhikers Guide either. Will compete with the above if/when I can get the box to myself.

One of the best TV series in recent years imo.. very enjoyable, don't miss out. Sure first episode is chaotic for understandable reasons, i'm glad i continued watching it.

Finished Godless. The first 2 episodes were a strong 9/10, then it goes to perhaps a 7/10.. Last episode was perhaps a 4/10, really weak.

Decent overall but the direction is a bit all over the place after a while, some things are truly ridiculous like it belongs in cheap trash and other things are truly great.

Sharp Objects - have watched 3 eps, meh, slow, I'm tired of serial killers, especially those set in hicksville USA.
Thanks for heads up. Removed from my "to check" list.

Sharp Objects is slow and plodding in parts but is kind of different. Never saw a central character quite like the one played by Amy Adams, except maybe Anya Taylor Joy's character in Split if she were all grown up and became a reporter (and alcoholic). It's heavy on the modern southern Gothic which I like. Fans of David Lynch's darker stuff might like it. I'm still watching.

Been watching a few episodes of an old late 1950s TV western called Have Gun, Will Travel starring Richard Boone. He plays a gunfighter for hire (in essence, a bounty hunter) who is a West Point graduate who has traveled the world (he's been to the lands where they roast dog and serve it and has partaken) and is very erudite. He prefers to take his man peacefully but has no real problem doing the dead or alive thing if necessary. I find it a quirky series compared to all the others (he rides a camel named Ezekiel in the third ep and it's an important plot element), has some irony, and it's a blast to see then relatively unknown guest stars that would later become major stars, like Charles Bronson. I only watched the first four eps of Season 1 but so far none of them are bad. Gene Roddenberry wrote the one with the camel.

Sharp Objects is slow and plodding in parts but is kind of different. Never saw a central character quite like the one played by Amy Adams, except maybe Anya Taylor Joy's character in Split if she were all grown up and became a reporter (and alcoholic). It's heavy on the modern southern Gothic which I like. Fans of David Lynch's darker stuff might like it. I'm still watching.

I saw the first 2 episodes of Sharp Objects, and I like it quite a bit. Love the slow pace, and I really like how Amy plays the character. She's recently become one of the best female actresses. Arrival and Nocturnal Animals were the previous roles of hers that I liked.

Amy Adams started in the business many years ago, shaking her naked boom boom in movies like Psycho Beach Party when she was in the bloom of her youth. She's worked very hard to get where she is today. Hopefully she didn't have to let lechers like Harvey Weinstein lick her kitty on the cunnilingus casting couch along the way (Asia Argento re-enacts her encounter with Weinstein in the movie Scarlet Diva, which she also directed). I need to see Nocturnal Animals.

Psycho_Beach_Party_Side_Image_1_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

Enjoying the show Flowers, a dark British comedy about a dysfunctional family falling apart.

There was a bit of fuss that the Japanese character was an offensive stereotype, until of course it was pointed out that the Japanese-British guy that plays him also wrote and directed the whole show. :biggrin:

I've mustered through season 1 of Handmaid's Tale and it's only gotten worse unfortunately. The writing is plain horrible, having viewers meander their way through plot lines that do absolutely nothing to further the main storyline and serve to only prop up the respective episode's melodrama. The main character even undergoes a complete psychological U-turn (for an episode or two anyway…) for reasons that possibly might have been probable in a 10 year old's mind, writing a paper for their Elementary School Literature teacher. But I rolled my eyes, as I continue to do more and more with subsequent episodes.

Handmaid's Tale. B+ for setting. C- for actual writing.

And again someone is watching a show ignoring what I said before. It's damned horror. It's not melodrama. Are you rating country music for it's electric guitar (that doesn't exist) or searching crime in romantic comedy?
By criteria you imposed for whatever reason, your B and C are too generous. It should be plain F.

Looks like all the rumours of a Dead Wood movie to finish off the series were true, HBO had picked it up for the finish. This might be the best television news of all year, at least so far!

Wow this would be amazing news if true! Loved that series. It was a crime that it was cancelled like so suddenly.

I started a series for which I did see the first two seasons as they came out, but then, for some reason, I dropped it before the third and final one. I'm talking about The Leftovers. It's a really depressing series, but one I remember liking a lot. It's also got plenty of weird stuff happening.

I started a series for which I did see the first two seasons as they came out, but then, for some reason, I dropped it before the third and final one. I'm talking about The Leftovers. It's a really depressing series, but one I remember liking a lot. It's also got plenty of weird stuff happening.
I think you might have dropped it because they cancelled it and it was unlikely they would resolve the plot points...

I have been watching Fauda. Its a TV show about a special forces unit operating in the west bank in the palestinian territories.

It shows most of the show through the view of one of the soldiers, but one of the most interesting elements of the show is the relationships between each of the parties. It's done quite well.

Although it is obviously from an Israeli perspective, they have done relatively well to try and show the Palestinian perspective on too in terms of how their lives are being oppressed with daylight raids and checkpoints and killings without trials and justice.

I would definitely recommend it. Netflix recently purchased the show so it is very possible it will show a different perspective in season 3.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom