What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 253 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

January 16th, 2020, 22:52
A movie called Sam from 2015. Basically a womanizer gets his just deserts by being cursed to be female. It's a RomCom but so what sometimes I love watching them.

As for the movie it's funny watching a guy adjust to being female.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

January 16th, 2020, 23:00
So basiccally it's horror.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

January 16th, 2020, 23:10
I re-watched Remains of the Day several nights ago, and it still stands as a film well worth viewing. An excellent cast, and a good setting make it a joy to watch. Yeah the book is superior, but the film comes a close second.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 02:18
Last night we watched Anatomy of a Murder, probably one of the greatest court dramas ever filmed. I'd not re-watched the film since the seventies, and it still holds up to this very day. With a cast including James Steward, Lee Remick, George Scott, Ben Gazarra and a host of others, it's simply a top notch film and you'll be amazed at how quickly two and a half hours will fly by.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

January 19th, 2020, 03:32
Not probably. It is. If there is a top 10 court drama ever made list, it has to be on it.
Said it before and am saying it again. I want the old Hollywood back! The new one is not capable of filming anything like this.

-----------------------------------------

Right so Sony, erm, Columbia… Decided.
Joker is a sorta batman who meets Doctor Who and Batman. Don't believe me?
Watch closely who appears on screen:
loading…

The movie might end up rubbish, but that some brilliant cast choices up there - for a trailer.

-----------------------------------------

A former secret agent leaves the service to become a comics artist. I love comics. Thus I want also to love this story too.

loading…
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; January 19th, 2020 at 03:53.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 19th, 2020, 16:39
We watched “Always Be My Maybe” - a smart and funny and well acted by-the-numbers RomCom that is very much saved by the charm and wit of the leads and the specific segments they brought to the film. Overall quite charming and perfect for a snowy Saturday after a long day of volunteering …
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 19:30
The movie title reminds of a movie called Definitely Maybe which is a rather enjoyable movie. Not exactly a RomCom but close enough.

Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
We watched “Always Be My Maybe” - a smart and funny and well acted by-the-numbers RomCom that is very much saved by the charm and wit of the leads and the specific segments they brought to the film. Overall quite charming and perfect for a snowy Saturday after a long day of volunteering …

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 19:41
Originally Posted by you View Post
The movie title reminds of a movie called Definitely Maybe which is a rather enjoyable movie. Not exactly a RomCom but close enough.
They usually are as some movies get remade with different audiences in mind. I've watched a couple that are the same, but the actors and some of the plot is different.

Sometimes the title of the movie is changed as well.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

January 20th, 2020, 01:13
Dark Waters.
This was really draining. About the suing of the chemical company who makes PFOA.. one of many so called forever chemicals - once they get into the air or into the water its there forever (basically), poisoning everything, giving cancer and birth defects. Tests shows that 99% of the population (in US) has PFOA in them.

It's one of those movies you want to give 10/10 because it's important and horrific. But i did not have fun watching it, its something i rather would have just read about to be honest. The characters feels real, they're boring, not very likable. You can relate to them but they're not people who's fun or interesting to follow for 2h.

Watch if you're not depressed enough already
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.5

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 15:02
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Dark Waters.

Watch if you're not depressed enough already
At a glance I ought to skippit because imdb says - biography, drama, history:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/

I don't care about such movies, each bore me to death.
But I did check other sources and wiki says something else - legal thriller:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

That got me interested in the story. A horror story that is still ongoing, but thanks to the movie some paid the price:
The release of Dark Waters on November 12 saw DuPont's stock price drop by 7.15 points from 72.18 to 65.03. DuPont CEO Mark Doyle, executives, and investors argued in separate statements that much of the movie was not based in fact and DuPont was misconstrued to fit the role of the enemy. Doyle also suggested possible legal action. Many of the executives with whom this movie draws fault still work, or recently worked at DuPont.
Man, I'm definetly watching it asap.
This seems to be exactly the kind of movie I respect the most, the one that has a real world impact (remember when I enthused about Silenced?). These movies have to be depressing as they speak about the rotten society and they have to be either a thriller or horror to cause a public outcry or in this case some evil company value sinking.
Thanks for bringing it up.

btw, based on what I've read seems this one is an indie. Someone please confirm it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

January 20th, 2020, 15:22
Indie? I doubt it, main lead is "The Hulk", Mark Ruffalo, it also features Tim Robbins and a few others celebrities.
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

January 20th, 2020, 15:51
Indie means there is no major studio behind it making it nearimpossible to see in cinemas worldwide (only at festivals, later on optical media or streams).
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 20th, 2020, 16:23
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Indie means there is no major studio behind it making it nearimpossible to see in cinemas worldwide (only at festivals, later on optical media or streams).
You might be right, don't remember what it said at the start (which studio).. but yes it happens.. makes a bit of sense too here since the subject is controversial and could lead to problems for the studio, maybe the big ones werent interested.
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

January 20th, 2020, 16:39
It's a follow-up sequel-like situation by the same people who made the successful film Spotlight (2015) which was a drama documentary about the breaking news of the Catholic Pedo thing however long ago that was, which also starred Mark Ruffalo amongst others.

Since spotlight was such a big hit for them, obviously, it's time for a sequel. Which is classic Hollywood but from an indie perspective.

This particular story reminds me of Erin Brockovich (2000), another drama documentary about water polluters where US mega corps play the inevitable villain.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
+1:

January 20th, 2020, 16:55
Considering the entire notion of 'pedo-rings' was only invented a couple of decades ago I have no doubt it's "one of the most etc in history of these types of cases".

You take one specific law from one country, a law that was mostly ignored even in that country, and escalate it to a 'serious factor' above murder in the space of a couple of decades, try to implement it globally and, whoa, there's a surprise, PEDO-RINGS EVERYWHERE OMG!!!!!

But anyway, off to politics sub forum for all that nonsense. This is the movie thread.

Edit: This post responds to one now deleted.
Last edited by lackblogger; January 20th, 2020 at 20:35.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 18:26
Spotllight was a really good movie.

Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
It's a follow-up sequel-like situation by the same people who made the successful film Spotlight (2015) which was a drama documentary about the breaking news of the Catholic Pedo thing however long ago that was, which also starred Mark Ruffalo amongst others.

Since spotlight was such a big hit for them, obviously, it's time for a sequel. Which is classic Hollywood but from an indie perspective.

This particular story reminds me of Erin Brockovich (2000), another drama documentary about water polluters where US mega corps play the inevitable villain.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 20th, 2020, 19:24
Indeed, Spotlight is quite excellent. I really enjoy a flick that has you pondering realities days/weeks after the viewing. And making certain that I never replicate that failing of my youth, as organized religion is one of the most hideous fallacies I've ever encountered.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2020, 00:00
coco best movie ever. Ok not best movie ever but still pretty good. A good way to forget the miseries of spotlight and religious double standards.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 21st, 2020, 00:25
Just watched the The Last Man it's a portrayal of what might happen if humanity doesn't change their ways. The ending showed the main MC was correct & not crazy.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

January 21st, 2020, 14:30
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Indeed, Spotlight is quite excellent. I really enjoy a flick that has you pondering realities days/weeks after the viewing. And making certain that I never replicate that failing of my youth, as organized religion is one of the most hideous fallacies I've ever encountered.
I've deliberately skipped that one. A few friends who watched it stated that it's unbelievably boring and who was I to object?

But there is another movie that covers much more misdeeds than just one scandal: Clergy.
For this one imdb says drama. It's not wrong - while this movie contains elements of crime, horror, thriller, comedy and tragedy, it's one of those modern dramas where the author avoids boredom by telling stories in different ways from the bore2death drama blueprint.

This movie comes from Poland where catholic church is probably stronger than in Vatican yet criticizes many of it's current sins (don't expect witches or heretics ). This makes it basically like an insider info although noone from the movie is a real person.
I won't spoil it, but the movie ends by offing de facto the only positive character while everyone else profits. Just as in real world.

I say this is a masterpiece not ment for a random person:
- If you're interested in modern times catholic church told from a perspective of those who actually live with it, stop whatever you're doing and watch Clergy.

- If you can't care less about religious organizations, especially this 2000 old one, don't bother unless you don't have anything else to watch.
- If you believe the religious organizations are led by moral verticals, especially c. church, do not watch it even if your life depends on it as you'll hate it.

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Just watched the The Last Man it's a portrayal of what might happen if humanity doesn't change their ways. The ending showed the main MC was correct & not crazy.
This one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312180/ ?
PTSD is still not researched enough thus putting it in a scifi movie is great idea, works as a bait for audience desperately searching for something original and exotic like me, but the execution ended up mediocre.
Still watchable if you don't have anything else to do.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread