RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

Anyone here remember Rain of Reflections a game from Lionbite Games.

I wouldn't call it vaporware yet but development is so damn slow.

Well here are two more updates for games that are almost vaporware.

First up we have The Memory of Eldurim which failed to get funded, but still released on Steam Early Access on Feb 7, 2014. Development has been very slow over the years.

After checking for updates it appears to be canceled.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/app/268670/discussions/0/1696043806570561860/
I realize there's still lots of folks here asking questions so I thought I'd try to give some answers.

Is this game dead?
As should be obvious from the date of the last update, this game isn't actively being developed.

what happened?
We had to get other jobs as we weren't making enough money from the game to pay ourselves anything.

Develop on the side?
Unfortunately, I was the only one interested in continuing and I couldn't do much alone.

Will you ever revive the game?
I personally would love to do it! But I don't forsee it happening in the near future.
The second game is called Witanlore: Dreamtime which is a spin-off of another game that failed to get funded, and developed by a few modders called Druid Gameworks.

The good news is the game is still being developed and updated.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/554570/announcements/detail/1676910481744131442
Hail Witanlore Fans, Cole here checking in with a loooooong overdue update on the project. Development is quite slow but sure at this stage, the team is much smaller now (only about six of us at the moment) and our time is split between Dreamtime and other jobs we've had to take to maintain some kind of income for things like roofs and food. However, the project is still alive and making steady progress. Our updates on Twitter are much more regular, so if you want to stay up to date with Witanlore and all things Druid Gameworks, follow us on Twitter @DruidGameworks or @Witanlore for more regular news. These Steam updates just take a lot of time and we don't always have significant enough news to share to fill out a news worthy post!

A time may be fast approaching when we will have to move on from Witanlore: Dreamtime in order to pursue projects that will help grow the company financially rather than drain it, but for now, we remain dedicated to this game and our wonderful fans, so don't count us out just yet!

Another funded kickstarter game from 2014 called Liege is not dead yet.
Thanks for checking in guys, and for the continued support!

Definitely not vaporware Daryl! Just keeping my head down while trying to dig out of this rut. I've made a lot of mistakes on the design side and am paying for them, but I'm learning a lot along the way. I know it's been a long stretch, but we're getting there!

My main focus is still figuring out how to keep the game interesting in the mid and late game. In the original design, my focus on accessibility and minimalism resulted in the combat system lacking the depth to support a substantial quest and progression system.

Finding ways to add depth and satisfying progression without resorting to grindy JRPG-style power curves isn't easy- turns out those tropes exist for good reason! My goal is to have enough systems (elevation, line of sight, knockbacks, various types of buffs/debuffs, etc) to unfold over the course of the game. I think this approach is much more interesting, but obviously it takes more effort. Most of the work to support these systems is done, but fitting them together and balancing will take some time.

As far as my to-dos: my next milestone is wrapping up a playable "combat sandbox" where I can quickly test the above mentioned systems with different map layouts and unit combinations. Instead of sharing polished "chapters" of quest content as originally planned, I'm planning on blocking out the game's main battles from start to finish in the sandbox first. Once I've finalized the game's main battles and overall progression, I'll switch focus back to linking everything together with the exploration, story bits, and polish to form the main quest. Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else!

I just received a Steam beta key for "Age of the Grit" the other day. I'm not much into beta testing and don't want to spoil much of the game before release but I may play it for a little while.

Same here, it popped up in my spam folder and almost got deleted. I also don't do many betas these days, but I was quite surprised to actually get a key.

Well what do you know Lionbite Games released a new Rain of Reflection trailer.

Lionbite is proud to finally present the first look at the gameplay in our upcoming dystopian adventure Rain of Reflections, with a trailer consisting entirely of in-game, real time footage. The gameplay trailer briefly touches upon everything ranging from the world exploration and in-depth dialogues to the turn-based strategy components and hacking minigames.

Rain of Reflections looks interesting but the "Chapter 1" bit implies it's an episodic release. I'm not crazy about that model, although I understand smaller studios may have to do it for funding reasons. They have a Steam page now. Unfortunately Steam is the only platform mentioned on their stie so it may be Steam exclusive.

I've never actually bought a game on Steam before as I prefer supporting DRM-free. I'd consider buying something that really appealed to me on a Steam sale but definitely not day one purchase, esp. if it's not a complete game.

OneSamurai has a new screenshot on twitter.

And Prisonscape just tweeted a gif.

Last edited:
At least they still seem to be working on it. I already feared they had abandoned Aledorn.

I keep the flame of hope alive for Dungeons of Aledorn, but it's probably another year or so off due to more testing and such. It might be quite the glorious game when it's all said and done, though!!

cba to recheck all pages, did anyone mention this title:

cba to recheck all pages, did anyone mention this title:
Yes I mentioned that game on the first page.:p

It's shame it was never released because from what info you can still dig up it was near beta state, but the closure of their publisher Interplay cancelled all operations.

Idk, I think cancelling Torn might have been the right call. I have a feeling that one wouldn't have aged well.

Graywalkers: Purgatory now has a Steam Page for Early Access.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1003370/Graywalkers_Purgatory/

A new update is also planned for this month.
Hi there! There was no update for February but we will be releasing an update by the end of March or first week of April and it will be a very important one. The Steam Page is just there as we try to drive more attention to the game as we try to move closer to Early Access.

VtM: Bloodlines 2

VtM: Bloodlines 2
Now all we need is to find out who is making the next rumored Baldur's Gate game. A new developer was announced this month who contracted the Ip.

@azarhal might remember the developer as he shared the link I can't find again.

Not quite sure if it really should count as vaporwave, if only because of how we learned about it. But I really wish that we could play that Final Fantasy XII spin-off "Fortress" someday. Really liked the concept and some of the world footage, and FFXII is probably my favorite RPG.

If anyone doesn't know about it, it's this game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzdzYbEWOg

But really, otherwwise, I usually think that these Vaporware games have been cancelled/very slowly developed for a reason, because they just aren't feasible. Feature creep is a very serious problem in game development, and the likely cause for this kind of thing, and usually that's not going to result in a particularly cohesive or fun experience, in my opinion anyway.

Back
Top Bottom