Bard's Tale IV - Review @ Game Debate

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Debate checked out The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep:

A Bard's Fail - The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep Review

The Bard's Tale is a series with a long tail. The Bard's Tale I was ahead of its time, presenting an epic RPG quest with magic items, various enemies and dungeons, puzzles and traps, while other games were little more than simplistic 2D platformers. Admittedly, characterisation was thin on the ground, and your party of adventurers were little more than lists of statistics used as tools in combat. But this was the eighties. Nobody was really doing this stuff. Two sequels followed in largely the same mould, introducing wilderness adventures that were essentially the same as the dungeon exploration only with the walls painted to look like trees.
[...]
Of course, I wanted to love this. The little eleven-year-old boy who lives in my head and played the originals wanted to build a party of adventurers and explore the cellars beneath Kylearan's tower so much. I wanted something of Skara Brae to evoke memory of those long summer evenings spent indoors while I should have been out riding my bike, instead trying to find the silver shapes necessary to get into Mangar's tower. But that's not really what I found. I've been underwhelmed by inXile's previous nod to nostalgia, Wasteland 2, and everyone else in the universe seemed to adore it, so maybe it's me. Your mileage, as always, may vary. But if you're looking for a rock-solid, incredibly challenging nuts-and-bolts RPG with all of the quirky flair of the original trilogy, this isn't quite it.

Score: 6/10 - Good
More information.

6/10 doesn't sound like a fail to me.

Doesn't matter what this review says it's a flop.:cool:

Sure, I'm enjoying it though.
Sure good for you and others that do I'm happy for you but inXile is not happy.

This was the second kickstarter game from them that under-performed, and probably had something to do with the Microsoft merger this month.

Sure good for you and others that do I'm happy for you but inXile is not happy.

Another couch analysis who thinks they know what someone else is thinking and passes it off as fact…

Another couch analysis who thinks they know what someone else is thinking and passes it off as fact…
Do I have to write personal assessment of mine is inXile is not happy…cause nobody writes that we assume the reader knows.. it's always an opinion….but guess not.

So happy now I can also dig up estimated sales, reviews, and player stats for you.:p

Last edited:
I rather tend to believe now that this game is rather a flop because the game is so much British. The music and everything. Non-Action game. People of now can't stomach that, I fear.

The game's not so great success is a result of unfulfilled expectations leading to dissapointment.
Most gamers expected a game with similar mechanics to Bard's Tale 1-3. They got an adventure puzzle game.

Okay ... Well, I never knew the early games, so I didn't expect everything.

But the music ... that's *really* the most unlikely thing in gaming I've ever heard !

I think it's a perfect game for you, Alrik.
You like adventure and puzzle games and you like games that are not so dark, more light hearted.

While this game didn't come across to me like the first three in the series do, I did enjoy playing it for what it is. There are a lot of positives in the game, and the polishing since I've completed my first play through will only make a return even more likely, maybe even sooner.

It is not a horrible game it just isn't a great game and (imho) it clearly wasn't finished; but i said all of this before.
-
I could care less that it is not the same as the first 3; but can understand that it disappointed others. I think another problem (in conjunction with above) is the game space has become very crowded and substandard games just can't compete.

Back
Top Bottom