The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread - Page 277 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Default The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

December 10th, 2018, 03:35
loading…
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

December 10th, 2018, 21:31
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Some pointers for Ragnaris, starting from Love Spirals Downwards.

Often accused of being an LSD tribute band, but they took things in a little different direction:

*snippet*

Again, these are all excellent. Thank you for sharing. In particular, I'm very fond of Malory's "Lake of Doubts" and "Deserted and Desolate" by Autumn's Grey Solace. Siddal's Hurricane was a good listen, too. When I've got time, I should post a few. I don't go searching for new artists as much as I used to, perhaps I should rekindle that flame.

For now, I'll leave with this, which is the track that Lycia is perhaps most known for.

loading…
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

December 11th, 2018, 00:25
Alright, Ragnaris, I can work with that. You definitely seem to prefer the dreamy side of the spectrum. My taste probably runs a little closer to indie pop, but I've got some options. I really, really fell in love with the Hatchie stuff that Thrasher put up a while back. That sort of pins down my auditory sweet spot.

You definitely should dig deeper into Malory when you get a chance. Songs like "Dany" and "I Can't Stand" would probably be right in your range.

Anyhoo, let's see what other stuff I can toss out there. Hmmmm. Doubt these will be new for Hurls, but we'll see.

Not a huge fan of most of their work, but the chorus section of this one is wonderful-
"Can't Disappear" by Pluramon
loading…

This group might fit the bill-
"Locust" by Daniel Land and the Modern Painters
loading…

These guys hooked me up with MP3's for their debut EP prior to the release. A little more dense sound-
"Velvet" by Snow in Mexico
loading…

Last one for today, classic gazing out of Finland-
"Gleaming Endless Ocean" by Scarlet Youth
loading…
--
Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Zeke Who? / / Detroit Red Wings: Welcome back Stevie

dteowner

Shoegazer

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 11th, 2018, 00:49
@dteowner - huh!! I knew all of them and love malory!
Last edited by Hurls; December 11th, 2018 at 00:50. Reason: Problem between keyboard and chair

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

December 11th, 2018, 01:12
Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
@dteowner - huh!! I knew all of them and love malory!
Yeah, since I don't listen to as much of the dreamy, atmospheric side of things my stable of obscurity isn't very deep on that side. Of course, shoegaze is closing in on 30 years old, so folks that have followed it closely like you have had plenty of time to root out lesser-known participants. Plus, you were active on the same shoegaze board as I was back in the day (Just checked and it's still there and not quite dead) so there's a lot of overlap in information.

Showing my age, but I did my best "mining" back in the MySpace days. Got personal responses from many bands, and the networking of groups with a similar style was excellent. You could start with a band you knew and after an hour of "link madness" could have a dozen new bands with similar sounds worth checking out. And if you did check them out and give them a little love, they'd reach out. I'm a pissant nobody, but I had probably a dozen different bands send me CD's or MP3 files or similar after I'd put one of their songs in my MySpace Top 10. Even "normal people" seemed to be paying attention to the songs and bands I'd put in the list. Very cool. I was certainly no GroovyJim, though.
--

dteowner

Shoegazer

+1:

December 11th, 2018, 06:20
Yeah, since I don't listen to as much of the dreamy, atmospheric side of things my stable of obscurity isn't very deep on that side. Of course, shoegaze is closing in on 30 years old, so folks that have followed it closely like you have had plenty of time to root out lesser-known participants. Plus, you were active on the same shoegaze board as I was back in the day (Just checked and it's still there and not quite dead) so there's a lot of overlap in information.

Showing my age, but I did my best "mining" back in the MySpace days. Got personal responses from many bands, and the networking of groups with a similar style was excellent. You could start with a band you knew and after an hour of "link madness" could have a dozen new bands with similar sounds worth checking out. And if you did check them out and give them a little love, they'd reach out. I'm a pissant nobody, but I had probably a dozen different bands send me CD's or MP3 files or similar after I'd put one of their songs in my MySpace Top 10. Even "normal people" seemed to be paying attention to the songs and bands I'd put in the list. Very cool. I was certainly no GroovyJim, though.
Wow!! A touch harder to do in Australia. In the early 90s I was working for IBM and spent months in the USA (both coasts and middle bits but not really south) and I used to haunt the college secondhand CD shops and had a friend in SF I often stayed with (she worked for Netscape employee # 13 for the geeks out there as old as me) and I would ask all the shops that had music playing I liked what the bands were. That was how I first heard of Lush, Spinanes, Curve, cranes, Hole, etc.. The people in the shops would write the lists, I'd visit the second-hand CD shops and if not there, then Tower records and buy them as new. Also pre-google the search engines weren't really, rather hierarchical directories and I would find new music, for example, Gala by Lush, and the local CD store would go search for me, they loved the challenge.

In that last set loved honeybreath and cork. I can find where to buy honeybreath but can't find cork, any ideas???

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 11th, 2018, 06:24
Found somethingelectric by cork!!!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2018, 01:47
Grooving to this short set and interview with Death Cab for Cutie. Music reminds me a bit of The Church, Steve Kilbey, and Hex with its echoey guitar and piano, driving bass, and offbeat drumming.

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/mor…tie-2018-12-10

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 12th, 2018, 03:20
This afternoon I spent a few hours listening to some of the Talking Heads greatest albums. What a great band, and it always thrills me to know that my most favourite group took their name from one of the Talking Heads songs. Great stuff, if you've never tried them, treat yourself!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 12th, 2018, 04:27
That was how I first heard of Lush
Funny that. Seeing Lush's "For Love" on 120 Minutes was my introduction to shoegaze and got me going on the whole scene.
In that last set loved honeybreath and cork. I can find where to buy honeybreath but can't find cork, any ideas???
I'm amazed either one of those were still available. I need to send you a couple MP3s from cork. Unreleased tracks that they made available for a very short time on MP3.com (another internet blast from the past!). Google pointed me to Soundcloud, so maybe those songs are out in the wild again and not as exclusive as I thought. https://soundcloud.com/misty-murphy-…eleased-tracks
--

dteowner

Shoegazer

December 12th, 2018, 22:10
loading…

Darth Tagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

December 12th, 2018, 22:31
loading…

Not religious myself - but I find the song a strong expression for the kind of spiritual bond I would have loved to feel with pretty much anything, really.

Darth Tagnan

December 12th, 2018, 22:52
Alright, Ragnaris, I can work with that. You definitely seem to prefer the dreamy side of the spectrum.
Certainly. I enjoy the moody, atmospheric approach, I suppose it's often attributed to dark wave.

You definitely should dig deeper into Malory when you get a chance. Songs like "Dany" and "I Can't Stand" would probably be right in your range.
Malory definitely caught my interest. I'd like to see what else they have and I'll be looking into them this evening.

Anyhoo, let's see what other stuff I can toss out there. Hmmmm.
Daniel Land and Scarlet Youth seem to be a bit more my style. I don't know if I'm very fond of the other two, but I'll browse around some of of their other work and see if anything stands out.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

December 12th, 2018, 23:01
loading…

Should be on one of my top-5 lists

Darth Tagnan

December 13th, 2018, 18:58
loading…
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

December 14th, 2018, 02:22
Originally Posted by Ragnaris View Post
Certainly. I enjoy the moody, atmospheric approach, I suppose it's often attributed to dark wave.

Malory definitely caught my interest. I'd like to see what else they have and I'll be looking into them this evening.

Daniel Land and Scarlet Youth seem to be a bit more my style. I don't know if I'm very fond of the other two, but I'll browse around some of of their other work and see if anything stands out.
I’d also suggest first two Tamaryn albums, almost anything by Daysleepers, first 4 Air Formation, these are all on the dreamy side. There are also several south American bands whose names I can't remember

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 14th, 2018, 03:36
Resplandor! Finally remembered! I'd also suggest Savage Sisters.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 14th, 2018, 20:07
I’d also suggest first two Tamaryn albums, almost anything by Daysleepers, first 4 Air Formation, these are all on the dreamy side. There are also several south American bands whose names I can't remember
Excellent! I'll check them out asap and post results.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

+1:

December 14th, 2018, 21:55
Some X-Mas Music by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

loading…

loading…

loading…

loading…
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

December 15th, 2018, 01:45
Alright then, I've got a few more stabs to take.

Michael did an awesome drawing for me and sent it with the CD back in the day-
"Dark Slow Deep" by Dreamgaze
loading…

Perhaps something a little more goth-
"Blinking Tears" by Claire Voyant
loading…

More traditional dreamy gazing-
"Bless" by Fathom 5
loading…

Slightly more pop take from a gazer band-
"Beryl and Jasper" by Midsummer
loading…
--

dteowner

Shoegazer

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread