Vampyr - Sold more than 1 Million Copies - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Vampyr - Sold more than 1 Million Copies

Default Vampyr - Sold more than 1 Million Copies

April 10th, 2019, 14:01
DSOGaming reports that Vampyr has sold more than 1 million copies.

Focus Home Interactive and DONTNOD Entertainment have announced that Vampyr, the first game of their partnership, has sold more than a million copies to this date. As such, the companies have decided to renew their partnership.

[…]

According to the press release, DONTNOD will be working on a really ambitious new project (which will be obviously published by Focus Home).
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 14:06
Not bad for a middle-ware budget game. Still have to play it though.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
+1:

April 10th, 2019, 14:07
I'm happy to hear this.
I also want to play it but since my backlog is still pretty big, I didn't end up buying it.
Guess I can thank Epic for allowing me to the backlog

borovnica

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 14:16
Yep, this is the sort of RPG I was talking about in the other thread - mid-budget indie single-player RPG, with decent graphics. This is a full-price game, shifting a million copies. I suspect they've done VERY well on this.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 14:36
Neat, this was my goty from last year, great game.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

April 10th, 2019, 14:47
i hated the characters. couldnt last over1h in playing it. not sure if i should be happy or sad

borcanu

muist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 15:07
Never did pick this one up but I wouldn't have guess that it sold that many copies. Well done, folks.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 16:26
The comments at DSOGaming are all in the category of "it was a trash game". I don't remember people hating it that much when it released.

I am happy it sold 1m copies though. The mid-budget market needs more success stories so publishers stop putting all their monies into bland super monetized AAA games.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

April 10th, 2019, 17:07
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The mid-budget market needs more success stories so publishers stop putting all their monies into bland super monetized AAA games.
From pretty much every corner of the internet I found mention of this game (which, admittedly, isn't all-encompassing) all I heard was that this game was pretty boring and bland, so I'm not sure how encouraging and trumpeting bland AA titles saves us from bland AAA titles, but I think I understand your point.

Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
Neat, this was my goty from last year, great game.
Ahhh, so your the guy that loved this one! John… hey, John, I've found him!

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 18:40
It was interesting with the interactions between the characters, but if you were trying for a good ending, then the fights just got too hard. Boss battles were pretty horrible.

Barghest

Watchdog

April 10th, 2019, 19:57
I finished on normal without killing citizens, it was pretty easy. Combat was like in the souls games and got easier as you advanced intot he game and unlocking some neat skills. Hardest fight was midway into the game against your sister, around 10 minutes long, she had some nasty skills/moves.

I loved the story, characters, investigations, city design and atmosphere, the consequences and so on. Maybe people expected something else and that is way they hate it.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 10th, 2019, 20:19
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
hate
I never came accross anyone who hated it. I suspect the number of people who hated it is about the same number who loved it. The 'consensus', ie: the prevailing opinion one gets the impression of after a lot of exposure to many reactions, was that it was just a bit bland and boring. There are lots of different ways people have articulated this without using the words bland and boring, such as dissappointing, lacklustre, doesn't really go anywhere, repetative etc, but in the main I can't say I ever noticed any particular vehemence with the game, it was always more of a case of enjoying it for a good while then slowly getting bored and looking for something else to play without passing too much emotion either way.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 10th, 2019, 22:52
I enjoyed Vampyr. It isn't a great or very good game, but it is in my view a good game and I was glad that I played it. I am glad that it sold over 1 mil copies.

If I remember correctly, a primary complaint about it was the combat but I found that to be a strength of the game.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

April 11th, 2019, 02:51
I really enjoyed Vampyr. A great deal of moral decisions in a really hopeless backdrop. The atmosphere of the game is fantastic (probably not the appropriate word) so I am glad this game has been a moderate success.

SkullScience

Watcher

April 11th, 2019, 16:04
Originally Posted by NFLed View Post
I enjoyed Vampyr. It isn't a great or very good game, but it is in my view a good game and I was glad that I played it. I am glad that it sold over 1 mil copies.

If I remember correctly, a primary complaint about it was the combat but I found that to be a strength of the game.
I guess most of the views about this game came from the fact that they were the Life is Strange developers, so a lot of the fanbase of that game checked out this game. LiS had zero combat and was 100% about dealing with social dilemmas, or, rather, moral decisions as SkullScience references.

So it's another case of fans of one specific newsfeed being hyped up for something that wasn't really what they wanted. The game still had the moral side to it, but not in the same way LiS did it, and for many the combat would have been a chore to that entirely.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Vampyr - Sold more than 1 Million Copies