Interesting resources for game development and study - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Interesting resources for game development and study

Default Interesting resources for game development and study

June 19th, 2019, 18:01
Yeah, man. I know what means. I've been doing smileys since they had noses. ;-)

No more? Well, now what will we talk about?! Might be time for Ep 7 of that Refn puppet show.

I wonder how Darts project is going. Maybe he'll come back with a grand announcement soon?

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

June 19th, 2019, 18:08
Well, that's why I started this thread as being about resources and possibly interesting things in game development. It wasn't my intention to make it about my project, as such. You see, if I ever managed to get it to the point of doing something with it, I wouldn't present it as this avatar. I'd do it through a different and strictly professional identity.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

June 19th, 2019, 18:18
Well, it's your thread, it's about game development. I'm just combining the two. I find most people here don't like talking about games as much as their opinion about games. A game people don't like is often more interesting a discussion than one they do. Sometimes it almost feels like all we really need these days in comments is a bunch of canned responses that automatically appear with each post for people to Like.

It's not as bad as reddit, though, with its downvoting. Free speech is so fucking dead.

Anyway, don't you think you should announce here with the avatar people know? I'd probably ignore the post if it was from a 1 post user but I might buy a game I don't want just because it's Ripper.

SirJames

SasqWatch

June 19th, 2019, 18:27
Well, that's very nice of you. As a rule though, I have strict separation between online shenanigans, and my real world self. Anything I put out as myself goes through a very strict mental PR department - but the stuff I put on here… not so much.

If I get to that point, I would retire this account, and start a new one. I wouldn't have a situation where I had essentially a sock puppet account touting something, while I'm still around. That would be questionable conduct, I think, and not cool.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

June 19th, 2019, 18:36
Yeah, I'm the same. I see your profile is as bare as mine. :-)

SirJames

SasqWatch

+1:

July 23rd, 2019, 11:34
There's a nice pack of medieval town assets going free on the Unreal market this week.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…chitecture-kit
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

July 23rd, 2019, 12:03
Log in to Epic store, get $300 of free stuff, close Epic store. What's not to like?

SirJames

SasqWatch

July 23rd, 2019, 12:17
Yep, it's worth keeping an eye on the freebies in the market. They sometimes give away some top quality stuff, and most of the assets can be used in any engine you want.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 3rd, 2019, 12:29
Lumberyard has made available a new game sample, which is built entirely with its visual scripting system, without any code. I find this sort of thing very useful, and I think visual scripting is helpful when learning the ways of a game engine - the diagrammatic approach is good for getting a handle on how things work. Diving straight into code that references all sorts of concepts and terminology you're unfamiliar with is not much fun.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gametec…now-available/
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 3rd, 2019, 12:49
Which engine did amazon acquired as the basis for this kit ?

Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Lumberyard has made available a new game sample, which is built entirely with its visual scripting system, without any code. I find this sort of thing very useful, and I think visual scripting is helpful when learning the ways of a game engine - the diagrammatic approach is good for getting a handle on how things work. Diving straight into code that references all sorts of concepts and terminology you're unfamiliar with is not much fun.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gametec…now-available/

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2019, 13:07
Originally Posted by you View Post
Which engine did amazon acquired as the basis for this kit ?
They bought the code of Cryengine 3, and forked it from that point. I like the way it's coming along, and there are no royalty costs for a single player game - they make a cut by requiring online games to use their services. There's very little in terms of tutorials and resources, but, on the other hand, they've been very good at providing working examples to learn from. The engine comes with "Starter Game", which is quite a rich project to play with.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

August 3rd, 2019, 13:22
Also, another couple of very nice freebies in the Unreal market.

Environment Set

Dynamic Combat System - Magic
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 3rd, 2019, 17:05
My biggest complaint with it is that it doesn't run on linux natively (i know that is not an issue for most people). Amazon ws gonna develop it for linux but decided there wasn't enough interest so dropped it.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 3rd, 2019, 17:34
Is it available for Mac? I often found that some apps that work on Mac can also work work on Linux, sometimes with just a little modification.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2019, 18:51
No. I'd say you can forget about Lumberyard for now if you need a Linux dev platform. Even if they do a Mac version, I wouldn't fancy trying to hack something this complex to run on Linux. Getting a stable setup that would build reliably I suspect would be very painful, if even possible.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 9th, 2019, 11:38
Here's a nice waterfall material, which the guy is giving away for free. Download from google drive. Take all due precautions with stuff downloaded from unknown sources.

I'm very fussy about water and fire effects, and I find even many of the professionally produced ones are quite lacking. I like the effect this guy has achieved.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 14th, 2019, 22:23
I found this quite interesting - some footage of experimentation with an open world in Godot. The pixelated textures are not some weird restriction of Godot - I suspect that's just to keep performance up during testing, particularly as the LOD system is not in place yet. Early days, but very promising, I think.

loading…
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 15th, 2019, 00:19
It does look decent but will be interesting to see the engine optimization as resolution/details increase.

Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I found this quite interesting - some footage of experimentation with an open world in Godot. The pixelated textures are not some weird restriction of Godot - I suspect that's just to keep performance up during testing, particularly as the LOD system is not in place yet. Early days, but very promising, I think.

loading…

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 15th, 2019, 12:28
The renderer is actually pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o

The problem at the moment is that there's no LOD system and no occlusion culling, which is a pretty fatal combination for large landscape performance. That's all on the roadmap, but they made the decision to convert the engine to Vulkan, which means that 3D feature work was suspended for the last few months - any new feature would just have to be reimplemented after the Vulkan transition is complete (hopefully by October).
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

August 16th, 2019, 18:21
Blender 2.8 was released recently, which was a massive upgrade to the software that's been worked on for years. It may be worth checking out again if you've disliked its workflow in the past.

Also, here is a little animated short film made with Blender, and shows what it's capable of.

loading…
--
Last edited by Ripper; August 16th, 2019 at 18:34.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Interesting resources for game development and study