Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed?

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed?

June 24th, 2019, 06:46
C'mon, where are the Kivan fans from the first game? That guy was one incredible walking death-machine when outfitted well. He and Coran in the same party shooting from range is even better. Often the tanks barely get a look in with some monsters. For me, rangers are a fun supporting class behind the mainline, definitely.

I don't know what the feeling is like with fifth edition rangers to be honest. The other unspoken factor in all of this is the exact role Wizards of the Coast is going to have in shaping the experience as a whole. With that in mind, it's hard not to think all of the classes will be altered/tweaked somehow from their pen and paper roots.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2019, 09:05
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Well, I just hope they don't take too many liberties and stick as close to the core rules as possible.
While, I'd normally agree with this sentiment, D&D 5E is boring as a bag of rocks in the early levels - they're practically no delineation between character classes, with the majority of skill checks being decided by a roll of the dice rather than any intended character progression. I really loathe this change, in relation to 3.5e. It's only in the latter levels that a character's "proficiencies" actually matter much at all.

So, by all means, introduce some changes for these early levels.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 09:28
I'm happy if the game has different difficulty levels to appeal all audiences, and they are well tweaked. I remember a lot of reddit posts about "tactical" difficulty of DOS being too unforgiving/hard, but any easier than that probably would ruin the immersion for me. We'll see I suppose.

I just can't see the point in a tactical combat game, if my tactics don't matter and I can just click on whatever highlights red to win without having to consider my every movement carefully. Might as well make it fully dialogue based in that case or add a kill switch at the bottom of the screen where you click to kill whatever enemy you're facing.

Nereida

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 13:59
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
While, I'd normally agree with this sentiment, D&D 5E is boring as a bag of rocks in the early levels - they're practically no delineation between character classes, with the majority of skill checks being decided by a roll of the dice rather than any intended character progression. I really loathe this change, in relation to 3.5e. It's only in the latter levels that a character's "proficiencies" actually matter much at all.

So, by all means, introduce some changes for these early levels.
You have about ten different choices on the way you could make your cleric at lvl 1. Every other class you get to make the choice at lvl 2 or 3. Most people loathe the rule bloat of D&D 3.5.

Try and teach a brand new player D&D 3.5. See how many gaming sessions they will come back to. It's easier to tweak some rules in 5e to make the game you want to play. I enjoy AD&D, 3.5, and 5e but you are not going to get the younger generation to play 3.5.

I tried to teach some high school aged kids what Thaco was and they thought I was speaking crazy.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 15:59
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I tried to teach some high school aged kids what Thaco was and they thought I was speaking crazy.
They couldn't read a table with x and y axes? THAC0 did seem a bit arbitrary. I wouldn't be surprised if it was set up that way just so Gary could sell DM screens with the tables printed on them.

Regarding combat rules, the combination of We don't want to scare away mainstream gamers! and We don't want to tell anyone about our exciting new hybrid, sort-of-turnbased system! is worrying. That, and their affection for daycare center color palettes.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 19:18
I doubt Larian will dumb down the game that much. I think the game will still be fairly complex, just based on Larian philosophy and past games. If the game is completely dumbed down and a disappointment in this regard, then we will know Larian "sold out".
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

June 26th, 2019, 17:47
As a 13th Age player, I'd definitely appreciate some modifications to 5e. Much as I loved BG, the Vancian system and RNG made for a system much in need of improvement and 5e has made quite a few wrong decisions IMO.

hairyscotsman2

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed?