The Witcher Netflix series begins production. - Page 13 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

Default The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

July 3rd, 2019, 02:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Why?
Do as I said, and don't ask questions. I know you can come up with an example of an illegal overreaction. I know it in my heart JDR. I believe in you.


Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
And how did I do that exactly?
I am unaware of the exact details. To start with, you might have clicked on the Quote button, but there's a good chance you clicked on the Quick Reply button too.


Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Then you probably should have made that clear instead of making it seem like you were attacking his statement? When you quote someone directly, it's going to be assumed that everything following that quote is being directed specifically at that person unless you clarify otherwise. Just saying.
I've decided to now go all in with the assumption everyone has their grown-up pants on, and doesn't need their juice-box and crackers before posting. It also makes for great thread fillers, as you can see.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#241

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 02:43
In other words, you really have no argument. You just wanted to play the SJW angle.

I thought that was pretty obvious from the beginning though.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#242

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,527
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 03:53
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
In other words, you really have no argument. You just wanted to play the SJW angle.

I thought that was pretty obvious from the beginning though.
"The accusation that somebody is an SJW carries implications that they are pursuing personal validation rather than any deep-seated conviction, and engaging in disingenuous arguments."

Disingenuous arguments is a key word here, because that is the basis for your argument, so keep that in mind as we continue (however if a label helps you sleep better, by all means continue!).

Further to my original argument, of which I provided data to back it up (or… did you not see those parts? I mean you did just say "you really have no argument") some of the best shows and movies have been because people weren't afraid of shaking up the casting choices. I will defer to the Kara Thrace Wikipedia page for a better picture on the matter:

CASTING:

"There was considerable outrage from fans of the original series when producers announced their intention to re-cast Starbuck and Boomer as women, with the decision to change Starbuck's gender especially controversial due to the character's popularity. Ronald D. Moore recounts: "When [the fans] heard Starbuck was going to be a woman, it was just like, There can never be peace between us! Blood has been spilled! We just decided that we didn't care." Moore explains the gender switch: "Making Starbuck a woman was a way of avoiding what I felt would be 'rogue pilot with a heart of gold' cliche."

Producers were looking for a mid-30s actress with a tough military demeanor for the role. Katee Sackhoff was not quite who they had envisaged, being a very feminine 23-year-old in real life. However, they were impressed by her acting ability. Director Michael Rymer explains: "Katee came in and my first reaction was, Well, she's the best actress, but she's too feminine." Katee Sackhoff admits: "Up to that point, I had always played pretty stereotypical blond roles. This was definitely a stretch for me. I wear high heels and dresses. I am a total girly girl. Now people avoid me at the gym."

Executive producer David Eick recounts:

I was at home, looking at old tapes of auditions, just bemoaning the fact that we didn't have a Starbuck. It was the most talked-about role; this was not the role to fall on our faces with. Jenny, my wife, happened to be in the room when Katee was reading, and in an off-hand kind of way said, What's the matter with you, she's right there! I was like, Really? We brought [Katee] back, and it was like, Oh! She's right!

Executive producer Ronald D. Moore wrote, "Katee auditioned for the role along with many other actresses, and simply blew them all away. Sometimes we get lucky."

For Sackhoff, the reaction to the reimagined role was difficult at first. "At the start, I was young; I was stupid," said Sackhoff. "I let the fact that people questioned whether or not a woman could play a man's role dictate how I was going to play her." Fans opposed to the casting of a female in the popular role expressed their discontent during production on the miniseries, and Sackhoff even received a death threat before the start of filming. During the 2004 San Diego Comic Con, the actress was booed:

I was booed. It was lovely. At that point, I'd seen the miniseries and I knew I'd done a good job. I had my confidence back. I didn't care anymore.

CRITICAL RESPONSE:

Despite the initial backlash, even by original male portrayer Dirk Benedict, Katee Sackhoff's Starbuck has become one of the show's most popular characters.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Melanie McFarland notes: "[Starbuck], played with a tomboyish swagger by Katee Sackhoff, is fast becoming the latest in a long line of feminist television icons."Wired's Hugh Hart praises Sackhoff's portrayal: "The actress's rough-and-tumble take on the fleet's most mesmerizing fighter jock will doubtless continue to render gender utterly irrelevant."Entertainment Weekly's Jeff Jensen states: "Sackhoff has set TV's new standard for action-heroine cool and complexity."Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times praised Sackhoff for creating one of the most fabulous female characters on television.

Salon.com's Laura Miller states:
“Starbuck is blond, cocky, insubordinate, a cigar-chomping, card-playing showoff; another stock figure, really, with roots as far back as Shakespeare's Hotspur – if not for a clever twist. In the original series, Starbuck was played by Dirk Benedict; in the new version, it's Katee Sackhoff, a gender switch that knocks the character well out of type. ”

In 2005 Sackhoff won a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television. Slate magazine named the character as one of the reasons they were looking forward to the return of the show in fall 2007.


In other words, fan have shitty abilities to make proper judgment calls, because they're too comfortable with their boring cookie cutter viewpoints.

Furthermore, I see responses here trying to address things in the game, while the series is based on the novels.

Strange no one is bringing up CDP's big plot change to make Ciri the chosen heir instead of Alvin? Or no one is crying foul about creating Triss into something she wasn't in the novels, while toning down Yennefer's importance.


"But no man, that's not the point. Triss has red hair…"



--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#243

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 04:50
Cool story.

It doesn't change the fact that you really had no reason to attack lostforever the way you did. You can provide all the data you want for your imaginary argument, and claim it wasn't directed at him, but the fact is he only stated his opinion and it triggered a SJW-like backlash from you. All just because he said Yennefer was "off the mark" to him.

So by all means, please post some more Battlestar Galactica stuff as if it's relevant here. I quite liked that show, or at least the first two seasons anyways. Make sure to include some more of those neat GIFs too.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#244

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,527
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 06:10
Cavill is kind of a mixed bag. He is too much of a pretty boy type to really fit the character, at least, from what he looks like in the video game. Unless Geralt is supposed to be a handsome dude, I dunno, I never read the books. That said, they have done a good job to "rough him up" to a degree in that latest shot. But come on, he is still a "hunk" and it would be hard to make a guy like that look ugly!

That said, I do like Cavill, he is a good actor and he is a cool dude too (most people know he is a gamer in real life) So cautiously optimistic on this series, but sure, it could turn out to be a total lemon. It is hard to make good fantasy stuff on tv or in movies, to be honest, that is true to the source material.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#245

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 06:17
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It doesn't change the fact that you really had no reason to attack lostforever the way you did. You can provide all the data you want for your imaginary argument, and claim it wasn't directed at him, but the fact is he only stated his opinion and it triggered a SJW-like backlash from you. All just because he said Yennefer was "off the mark" to him.
Oh JDR. Tsk tsk. Circling away from an argument and trying to mask it with the moral superiority angle is just too obvious. And fear not! Lostforever is smarter than most here, and knows how to not take a reply out of context. I'm sure he doesn't need a forum mommy.

And there you go throwing throwing the SJW label out there, fishing for a reaction. But i'll let you in on a little secret…

SJW: Believes everyone should be compelled to be nice, and assholes should be punished by law.
ME: Believes everyone has the right to be assholes. As long as everyone has the right to call them assholes.

PS: I can do BSG ASCII Art instead of gifs if you prefer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


__
| \
=[_|H)--._____
=[+--,-----------'
[|_/""

Colonial Viper
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#246

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 06:22
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Cavill is kind of a mixed bag. He is too much of a pretty boy type to really fit the character, at least, from what he looks like in the video game. Unless Geralt is supposed to be a handsome dude, I dunno, I never read the books. That said, they have done a good job to "rough him up" to a degree in that latest shot. But come on, he is still a "hunk" and it would be hard to make a guy like that look ugly!

That said, I do like Cavill, he is a good actor and he is a cool dude too (most people know he is a gamer in real life) So cautiously optimistic on this series, but sure, it could turn out to be a total lemon. It is hard to make good fantasy stuff on tv or in movies, to be honest, that is true to the source material.
It's also tough for people to say anything negative to his face when he reacts like this:

--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#247

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 06:37
Yea, Cavill was awesome as the bad guy in that movie (Mission Impossible - Fallout)
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#248

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 07:59
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Oh JDR. Tsk tsk. Circling away from an argument and trying to mask it with the moral superiority angle is just too obvious.
You've never presented an argument here, just the insinuation that it's wrong to comment on appearance in regards to the cast.

Projecting the moral superiority angle onto someone else is pretty ironic, since that's exactly what you've been doing the entire time with that lame "thou shalt not judge by looks!" theme you keep parroting.

Carry on
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#249

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,527
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 08:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Projecting the moral superiority angle onto someone else is pretty ironic, since that's exactly what you've been doing the entire time with that lame "thou shalt not judge by looks!" theme you keep parroting.
I'm not sure how "fans have shitty taste in casting" equates to some morality angle, but aww how kind of you to think so highly of Yours Truly…

--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#250

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 09:13
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#251

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,527
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 10:31
I do hope this strained tête-à-tête has run its course now…
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#252

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 12:19
The cast looks okay to me. How the characters look mainly matter to me if there are certain traits that are important, such as Geralt's white hair. Another example is Rand in Wheel of Time: The cast for the Amazon series hasn't been announced yet, but his hair must be red (fake if they cast an actor without it). It simply has to be, because it's a defining trait in the books, and often remarked upon.

As for Yenner and Triss, I don't know how they're described in the books, or whether or not that's important. My feeling from the game is simply that sorcerers magically change/enhance their looks, and the main emphasis is that they're all very attractive.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#253

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,263
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 3rd, 2019, 12:37
IMO they all look too polished on pics, as id they just visited some SPA.
But (photoshopped) pics are one thing, actual show is another. Maybe in the real thing everyone will be dirty and covered in mud most of the time. It all depends on mud costs and could Netflix afford it.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#254

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,879
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2019, 00:37
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
I do hope this strained tête-à-tête has run its course now…
I'll behave now!

And in reality, I think you're all pretty swell. And would buy any of you a beer if you happened to be in my (correct way to spell it ---> ) neighbourhood, eh?
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#255

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 4th, 2019, 01:06
So Triss is not a red-head?????
So Ciri and Geralt actors look their part from the video games but not Triss? Why not?
I didn't read the novel. Was Triss a gypy or something in the book?
--
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The Second Coming- William Butler Yeats
redman5427 is offline

redman5427

redman5427's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#256

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA-Michigan
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2019, 01:48
Other than the wig, I don't think Cavill looks the part much. That's nothing against Cavill as I think he's a decent enough actor, but even in full makeup I'm having a hard time seeing Geralt of Rivia there. Hopefully it'll be different when I actually see him in action.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#257

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,527
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2019, 02:47
Heard that old drunk, Sapkowski, stepped away from the show ( as consultant) preeeetty quickly.
Hope he got some royalties, this time around.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.
BoboTheMighty is offline

BoboTheMighty

BoboTheMighty's Avatar
SasqWatch

#258

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Croatia
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2019, 11:48
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
So was Craig as a blonde-hair blue-eyed Bond, and Sackhoff as a female Starbuck. Those getting triggered makes for a good chuckle.
I am not triggered I was simply making an off the cuff remarks based on the photos

Ciri is not what I imaged she would but but she is definitely looks interesting.
Ciri is also off the mark in the same way Yennefer is to me but at least Ciri's change got my imagination going but Yennefer's change didn't do anything and she doesn't like anything like the way she was described in the books.

It was a simple casual observation with only the pictures we have so far, nothing more. Who know the actress who is playing Yennefer might surprise me in the same way Katee Sackhoff did in Battlestar Galactica. She was the 3rd best in that show after Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#259

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 4th, 2019, 13:36
Who cares what the actors look like as long as they are good actors. Jorah Mormont looked nothing like the character in the book and he was one of the best actors on GoT. One of my favorite characters on the series.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#260

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,808
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Witcher Netflix series begins production.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:53.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch