Steam Recommendations 2: The Machine Learns - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam Recommendations 2: The Machine Learns

Default Steam Recommendations 2: The Machine Learns

July 12th, 2019, 02:53
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593…67708821405787

Steam is trying a new way to recommend games: machine learning.

I just get a big, blue page on it but it seems to work for most folks. If I look through the page's code, I can see game names of games I've considered getting.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 07:26
From the comments:

Smiling Spectre 32 minutes ago

Can we have this service for _bought_ games? See, I have 3K+ games, and have no idea anymore about a half of them. So recommender is somewhat off in first time (as most _really_ favorable games are already bought… somewhere…), and simultaneously not recommends games that I would definitely like - those I bought already.
Perhaps divert this person to recommended counsellors? Lol? Isn't this some kind of shopping addiction thing rather than game enthusiasm and hobbyism?

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 10:06
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Steam is trying a new way to recommend games: machine learning.
What's the point of that?
You don't need AI to know who wants what. It's super easy to know based on just a few wishlist entries who cares only about mmos (dart) and who wants tons of hentai (me).
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 13:15
Again some useless valve shit
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

July 12th, 2019, 23:26
Recommendation systems are great. Just don't think machine learning models are neutral. They aren't and often are as biased as you and me. You also will get stuck in a bubble of the same games and never truly get recommended something new you would like. Similarly to the rpgwatch bubble

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 13th, 2019, 02:30
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
What's the point of that?
For many folks, this can be a pretty big deal. They aren't following the games industry all that closely so all they've got to guide them are trailers and their friends - who also aren't following all that closely. This system can guide them to games that don't have massive marketing budgets.

For folks like us that DO follow closely, it can still be of some use. Just going through the JSON object I got sent reminded me that I never looked much at Vampyr. With all the games showing up, it can be nice to have some backup.

(Plus it HAS to be better than the tag based system they've got now! ;)

P.S. Joxer, if you set the release date to within a year and the popularity slider over to hipst… <ahem> niche, you should see plenty of your hentai games.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
Last edited by Zloth; July 13th, 2019 at 03:42.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

July 13th, 2019, 10:14
Any AI would very likely recommend me the wrong games, considering how much … extreme … my taste in gaming is …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

July 13th, 2019, 17:25
I follow the industry way too well, everything on the list was either on the wish list or games i've looked at or it was bought already (not on steam).
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 15th, 2019, 03:44
In related news - Steam now has another option under the ignore button to let you mark a game as having been played on "another platform." I presume buying the game in a box counts as another platform in Valve's eyes.

I just marked Half Life 1 as having been played on another platform, since I played the boxed version. It felt good.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Tags
artificial intelligence, machine learning, neural net, valve
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam Recommendations 2: The Machine Learns