Gaming BS of the week - Page 48 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Gaming BS of the week

Default Gaming BS of the week

July 13th, 2019, 11:27
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I still do stand to my point : Exclusivism is good for those who profit from capitalism, but in the end it destroys societies - especially societies of fans.
I don't really understand what you're saying. Is this some kind of Marxist thing because Epic is sharing the wealth more than anyone.

Or are you saying exclusives pissing off fans of Steam is bad even if it means more money to the developers who can then charge lower prices to the customers? Capitalism needs competition to avoid monopoly, doesn't it?
Last edited by SirJames; July 19th, 2019 at 23:50.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
SasqWatch

#941

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2019, 12:33
Sharing wealth gained by selling fog (lootboxes) is not a marxist thing.
Killing 100 kids (development studios) and then helping 1 (EA originals) is also not a marxist thing.

Neither has nothing to do with marxism nor anything else including capitalism. Both are damage control with getting more wealth through PR which existed back in the stone age among cavemen and for whatever reason the society, after thousands of years, keeps suffering from that same idiocy.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#942

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2019, 19:40
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
I don't really understand what you're saying. Is this some kind of Marxist thing because Epic is sharing the wealth more than anyone.
Elsewhere I wrote my story of not being able to be a "full" Genesis fan because the archive box isn't available anymore. Any fan who has the box can see The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway slides, but I can't. At least not legally, and I don't want to ddo it illegally.

This is Exclusivism : A Limited Edition makes some people into more fans than others.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#943

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 18,698
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

July 18th, 2019, 10:43
https://www.pcgamer.com/cheap-janky-…est-offerings/
Cheap, janky multiplayer games are one of Steam's best offerings
Long live the shallowness.

……………………………………………………

https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/17/rog…ntimate-horse/
Roger Clark had to redo some Red Dead Redemption 2 lines because he sounded too intimate with his horse
Long live the shallowness 2.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#944

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 18th, 2019, 20:07
almost 1k $
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile
porcozaur is offline

porcozaur

porcozaur's Avatar
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#945

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

July 19th, 2019, 06:56
people pay real money for this trash ?

Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
almost 1k $
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#946

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Default 

July 19th, 2019, 18:41
Some really do. It amazed me, the amount of real money that some folks would spend on mere cosmetic items when I played Everquest.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#947

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 9,671
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

July 19th, 2019, 23:55
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Elsewhere I wrote my story of not being able to be a "full" Genesis fan because the archive box isn't available anymore. Any fan who has the box can see The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway slides, but I can't. At least not legally, and I don't want to ddo it illegally.

This is Exclusivism : A Limited Edition makes some people into more fans than others.
But the Epic Store is still available.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
SasqWatch

#948

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 11:14
The next video is not bs, it's Jim Sterling again and lists all the "socializing" bs coming from different CEOs (using certain pop culture references lol):
loading…


Yes I know you know and everyone and their mothers know all this from the video. But then explain to me why are people still subscribing to so called gaming media like PCGamer who spam numerous articles about likes of Destiny and Anthem? Paid shills? Clicks matter?

Exterminate! Exterminate!

(if matters to anyone, the song used for starting venom gig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nuV36fvgQ )
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#949

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 11:24
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I still do stand to my point : Exclusivism is good for those who profit from capitalism, but in the end it destroys societies - especially societies of fans.
Sometimes "Exclusivism" *creates* the demand hence the market so one can argue that you are wrong in that "exclusivism" does not destroy but creates.

People always wants thing simple because they "limited". Its bit like saying if everyone has something then no does. This has nothing to do with "capitalism" but rather human nature.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#950

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 12:51
Generically this might be true for a product (such as an exclusive color phone or an exclusive beanie doll); but for game distribution - i call it pure BS which is perhaps appropriate that you make such a insane BS statement in a BS thread. Congrats.

Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Sometimes "Exclusivism" *creates* the demand hence the market so one can argue that you are wrong in that "exclusivism" does not destroy but creates.

.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#951

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,928
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 13:02
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Sometimes "Exclusivism" *creates* the demand hence the market so one can argue that you are wrong in that "exclusivism" does not destroy but creates.

People always wants thing simple because they "limited". Its bit like saying if everyone has something then no does. This has nothing to do with "capitalism" but rather human nature.
You're mixing things.

I want to buy limited edition of Akira because:
- hardcover integrated complete collection
- reverted to original previous translation bullshit (hollywoodish mediocritization)
- added the author's remarks

To enjoy it, all I need is eyes, taste and understanding english.


But when it comes to videogames, "limited" and "exclusive" are artificial and alienating. Do I really need Nintendo Gameboy to play the latest Zelda? It can't work on anything that's not outdated hardware? Gimme a break.

Here's one huge respect for Sega who understood I want to discuss videogames with people who don't have PC but play(ed) the same game on whatever garbageware. They could continue poisoning the marked with whatever consoles and obsolete technologies, but they decided to ditch consoles manufacturing and use porting route instead.

That's my human nature. Or is it inhuman?

Note that indies moving to switch exclusive deals is not because Nintendo is the world savior company (it's not, that monstrous entity is dumbing down people for decades), it's because Valve's inertion and lack of it's marketplace curation (any broken and halfarsed trash can appear on Steam).
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#952

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 13:29
Originally Posted by you View Post
Generically this might be true for a product (such as an exclusive color phone or an exclusive beanie doll); but for game distribution - i call it pure BS which is perhaps appropriate that you make such a insane BS statement in a BS thread. Congrats.
I was responding to Alrik general point about "exclusive" and "capitalism" and how they destroy rather than create. It was not limited to game distribution platforms. See number of Alrik post about comics etc. I guess you win the BS award as well
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#953

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 13:38
Ever heard about Supercell? No?
Ever heard about Boom Beach, Clash of Clans and Clash Royale? Ah-ha, well, the notorious phone scamware with all sorts of predatory, manipulative and gambling mechanics was developed by Supercell.

Well their games got banned in Vietnam. Not just their games of course:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl…ulatory-issues
last week, Vietnamese publication VNExpress reported that a total of 142 games had been removed from the App Store and Google Play in Vietnam by the Ministry of Information and Communications for various legal reasons.

These included game content with elements of gambling, violence, profanity, and "distortion of Vietnamese history." Some games also had been published without government authorization, which is necessary for online multiplayer games. It's also required for foreign titles, which must either establish an office in Vietnam prior to publication or partner with a Vietnamese country.
Supercell of course made a statement on their official site:
https://supercell.com/en/news/superc…-vietnam/7168/
Did they mention gambling in the statement? Did they promise vietnamese players they'll remove lootboxes and things from their phonejunkware?
Of course they didn't, they're just a victim of horrible government decisions, what gambling am I talking about, right? Whatta load of crap.

It's not Belgium only protecting it's citizens from scams any more. Other countries stalling with the ban of slotmachines falsely advertised as videogames seems will be this year's biggest bullshit. That or ESRB/PEGI's refusal to slap Adult Only on those.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#954

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 23rd, 2019, 16:05
https://www.wd.com/products/portable…tm_medium=afl1
WD Gaming Drive Accelerated for Xbox One

Storage to hold your Xbox One™ game library.
Fast speeds for faster boot ups and load times.
Comes with an integrated cable for quick plug-and-play access.
Yes it's SSD. Spot the fifth pic from the top.
I dropped off my chair.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#955

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 24th, 2019, 12:35
https://www.pcgamer.com/hand-of-fate…g-development/
Hand of Fate 2 studio Defiant is 'ceasing development'

"When we started this studio, we did so with a clear goal in mind," the statement reads. "To hire great people, to create great games and to do that in an ethical manner with respect for our team and our audience."

It continued: "The Defiant model has always focused on creating games nobody else would. Games that reflected the skills and passions of our team. Games that did something new. Our process has always been focused on iteration and exploration. We go into dark places, searching for hidden treasures. We set out without knowing where the journey will take us, and we do so knowing that the unknown is not always safe.

"That is a risky way to make games, and we knew that. When it succeeds it delivers things you could never have considered possible. When it fails, it leaves you without a safety net."
Stop the bs and do Kickstarter.



https://www.pcgamer.com/uk-gambling-…rent-gambling/
UK Gambling Commission says (again) that loot boxes aren't gambling

Because loot box rewards can't be officially monetized, they're exempt from the classification.
Additionally:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl…ith-real-Money
Grand Theft Auto V update adds a casino that can be played with real money
But "that's not gambling!" UK Gambling Commission will say, because:
Real money can be spent on chips, though it cannot be cashed back out into actual money
If it looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit… How can it not be shit?
Will someone make a movie about this obvious corruption? I mean, I can't believe any commission is run by stupid&ignorant people. "Officially monetized"… For god's sakes, someone please shake their pockets, I can't believe thy didn't at least get paid for the unbelievable "not gambling" statement.

Till those schmucks are put to shame on screen, I'll continue selling my PUBG lootboxes and stuff that drops from those for some nice $. Oh and phonecsams accounts where I opened so many lootboxes I can't remember the number, those sell like hotcakes.



https://www.pcgamer.com/vlc-media-pl…security-flaw/
VLC media player has a critical security flaw

To make things a little more scary, all Windows, Linux, and Unix versions of VLC are affected, but not the macOS version. And without a complete patch (the one VideoLAN is working on is only 60 percent complete), the only way to keep your computer safe for the moment is to uninstall VLC. So, if you're running any one of the affected operating systems and you have VLC installed, you're exposed.
In the meantime, you can use another video player like KMPlayer, Media Player Classic, or Plex Media Player.
LOL

Why is this here? Because it's gaming media that spreads "uninstall VLC" nonsense.
How about "uninstall mmo scamware pretending to be a videogame" article instead?
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 24th, 2019 at 13:03.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#956

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 24th, 2019, 14:42
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
But when it comes to videogames, "limited" and "exclusive" are artificial and alienating. Do I really need Nintendo Gameboy to play the latest Zelda? It can't work on anything that's not outdated hardware? Gimme a break.
Yes, you do need a Nintendo to play Zelda. This is a fine example of exclusive IPs helping to sell a platform. No point crying about it; it's always been this way. They also have Mario!

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Note that indies moving to switch exclusive deals is not because Nintendo is the world savior company (it's not, that monstrous entity is dumbing down people for decades), it's because Valve's inertion and lack of it's marketplace curation (any broken and halfarsed trash can appear on Steam).
Indies appearing on Switch has nothing to do with Valve!

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Additionally:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl…ith-real-Money

But "that's not gambling!" UK Gambling Commission will say, because:

If it looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit… How can it not be shit?
Will someone make a movie about this obvious corruption? I mean, I can't believe any commission is run by stupid&ignorant people. "Officially monetized"… For god's sakes, someone please shake their pockets, I can't believe thy didn't at least get paid for the unbelievable "not gambling" statement.
I've already had a look at the GTA V Online casino update. 500 gta bucks buys you 5000 chips, but there's no way to cash out the chips back into gta bucks. 500 is a tiny amount. You'd never need to buy Shark Cards to make that kinda cash.

The casino games are pretty boring. Roulette, Blackjack and 3card poker are all played against the house, but the horse racing can be played with other people, though there was no one around to try it.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
SasqWatch

#957

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

July 24th, 2019, 16:14
Everyone is entitled to their opinion especially in this thread.

Kinda noticed it late, and because gaming media still calls phone scams as videogames (no, they aren't games, they are scams) here's Cracked's list with extensive details of everything wrong with todays' mobile market and why ignoring it became a serious problem is pure bs:
https://www.cracked.com/blog/5-mobil…getting-worse/
5 Mobile App Scams That Just Keep Getting Worse

- Subscription Fraud
- Exploiting The Desperate, Helpless, And Troubled
- Joy Same Fun Copy
- Single-Use Ad Grenades
- Tricking Parents And Kids
Yea, why would anyone care about any of it.
At the same time, would anyone equally ignore this gif if it appeared in your PEGI3 videogame?



…………

The gentle art of making enemies. Is a brilliant FNM's song.

An article title today on PCGamer:
https://www.pcgamer.com/sea-of-thiev…osmetics-soon/
Sea of Thieves is getting pets, improved combat and new ship cosmetics soon
Opposed to it, an article title on PCgamesN about the same thing:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/sea-of-thie…rotransactions
Sea of Thieves microtransactions will soon let you buy pets and emotes
Which title, by your opinion, is (more) sincere?
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 24th, 2019 at 16:57.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#958

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 25th, 2019, 11:58
https://wccftech.com/userbenchmark-u…g-single-core/
UserBenchmark Updates CPU Ranking By Lowering Multi Core Importance And Raising Single Core?

This is a bizarre move as the testing I’ve been doing over the past couple years has shown that more often than not games are taking advantage of more and more cores. My findings don’t discount Amdahl’s Law as that’s part of why the i9-9900K is objectively one of, if not, the fastest gaming CPUs on the market. But, with the launch of Zen 2 and Ryzen 3000 Series AMD has significantly closed that gap and a change like this from a common benchmarking tool used by the general public may be giving users an even worse metric that doesn’t necessarily reflect the real-world experience they may experience. Just as an example the Core i3-8350K is ranked a fair bit higher than the Ryzen 7 2700X despite losing in most of the tests that the benchmark measures.
i3 pwns R7, lol
Intel shills or unoptimized code horrors from AC4 shills?
Maybe Hamlet could answer it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://kotaku.com/74-of-adults-have…e-s-1836678162
74 percent of adults who play games online have experienced some form of harassment, according to a new report released today.
The report, published Thursday by the century-old civil rights nonprofit organization Anti-Defamation League, offers some staggering statistics on the prevalence of trolling, threats, discrimination, and just plain rude name-calling in online gaming. Alongside a survey of over 1,000 people who play games, the ADL also looked at game publishers’ moderation of those spaces, and found them wanting.
While I call this bullshit, if it marks the day mmos become illegal, I won't complain.

Now why I call it bs? Because you won't see me researching rap - I don't like it, I tend to be irritated by it and I do not understand it's appeal at all. And if I was paid to research it then share my findings, I'd practically bullshit over a culture I do not understand.
What you also won't see me doing is making an article about something I do not understand - on a clickhungry sjw site.

No, newb is not a harassment and being a newb is something everyone once was. Criticizing someone that after 10 years of playing WoW is still a newb is not harassing, but a mockery. When did this world become so touchy you can't even joke anymore?
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 25th, 2019 at 16:08.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#959

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

Default 

July 26th, 2019, 14:14
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-ga…h-cheatengine/
PC gamers can completely bypass Wolfenstein: Youngblood’s micro-transactions with CheatEngine
Microtransactions are bs, yea, it's kinda pointless to add a title of every scumbag CEO's product in this thread. What makes it different in this case is not possibility to cheat the rubbish away, but this:
Obviously, the use of CheatEngine may be considered illegal so we suggest using it solely in Offline Mode. Avoid using it while playing online as it may get you into trouble.
I have no idea what TOS can make cheating in a product that isn't a competitive mmo outside of South Korea illegal (I'm not selling cheats).
If there is a case like that, do write please.

As for me… I won't be buying that trash of a game anyway but will cheat in my games whenever I feel like it.
Okay, the last time I cheated something was Yakuza0 due to horrible controls in minigames, before that I did it on the Sims 4 release version to report a certain bug, I mean, it's not something I usually do as it's IMO not fun. But when it comes to scamware, well, I'm gonna scam the scammer if I can!
Whomever CEO of the scamware producing company can sue me. Till they do, they can only get off my property.

Trivia question: I wonder who's the CEO in this case.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#960

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,895
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Gaming BS of the week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch