A Thought - Page 15 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » A Thought

Default A Thought

February 23rd, 2019, 17:21
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
I think I'm getting old.
<ahem> You are using Baldur's Gate vs. Icewind Dale to compare combat levels. I'm afraid your use of the term "getting" is becoming dubious. At least in gaming circles.

Maybe it's just the combat difficulty? If you're getting bored in a combat system, maybe you should try pumping the difficulty up? If it's still boring, you can drop it down to the minimum and at least get it over quickly.

It's really interesting that you liked the Witcher games but not Mass Effect. They're both heavy narrative games but they both still have plenty of combat. ME's was pause-on-space, too, so it seemed more tactical to me than Witcher.

By the way, have you tried Subnautica? There's not much combat there.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

February 23rd, 2019, 18:03
No, but maybe I should try it. Actually, I'm always tempted to lower the difficulty of my current games, so I can get over the combat quickly.

Maybe it's also the setting. A lot of games I've played since Mass Effect are advertised to be like some old classic. It all feels the same. I think I need more interesting settings, so I think I should get Subnautica in a sale this year.
By the way, I was fine with Mass Effect 1, but in Mass Effect 2 they've swapt most of the boss fights for several bigger waves of enemies. It felt like a drag, so I've quit it.

And yes, in gamer terms I am old, but I'm still not 40 yet, so I feel I'm still too young to be old.

But maybe I should start practicing already:
"Back in my day, most games still had something unique and original about them. Every game had it's own worlds, rules and feel. There were a lot more different settings. you see, Arx Fatalis felt different from Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights. And there were games with Vampires, and turn based post apocalyptic games, and everything was better, yes!" *swings walking cane*
(Don't worry, I'm just kidding. Not everything was better, just different. In good and bad ways.)

Yes, different settings would be nice. Now that I think about it, that's probably what I really need. Interesting, less generic worlds and everything that comes with them to motivate me. The combat's no fun if it all feels the same. Same rules, same foes, same spells, only different names because of the copyright. That's so dull. Even exploring the dwarven ruins in Skyrim seemed more interesting than fighting my way through the almost unfirnished kobold caves in Pathfinder. Though I liked the troll community. Too bad I had to kill them all.

Dragonfly

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 23rd, 2019, 20:11
Not yet 40!? Oh my goodness! Well, Saints Row is out. You're still a bit too young for that sort of naughty game. Maybe in a few years… assuming you're mature for a 40 year old.

There's plenty of 'new and different' out there. Hmmm, have you done much 4X gaming? The Endless Space and Galactic Civilizations games can be played without spending much time in combat at all. Both have 0 interaction while battles run and provide a 'skip to the end' button. Set up larger galaxies with few other civs (preferably less violent ones) and you may not even have many of those.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 23rd, 2019, 23:55
I think I have Galactic Civilizations on Steam, but I'm more out for questing, thank you. I'll get back to it.

PS: I like your kind of humor.

Dragonfly

Watcher

+1:

June 2nd, 2019, 22:19
After seeing this chart of games being published this year https://www.pcgames.de/Spiele-Thema-…rmine-1215262/

there are 55 games, if I have counted correctly
of them, 15 are labelled "shooter", if I counted that correctly
and 15 of them are labelled "action" in various forms (being "Action-RPG", "Action-Adventure" or simply as "Action")
and 10 of them are labelled "strategy" like in "Aufbau-Strategie" ( = "building-strategy"), real-time strategy, or simply just "strategy".

So, when looking at this release list, it is not difficzult to see why I#ve become such a "grumpy gamer" ( I still love that title & blog of Ron Gilbert ! ) : I just don't like any of that listed here.

It's easy with this list to see why I often feel like "being left out", no more being a member of the group of "gamers".
It's easy to see why I often feel too old, because this release list is very much catering the younger player base, I think.

So, if you judge me, keep this or a similar list in mind.

… and the rest is various genres…
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 11th, 2019, 01:35
I had a thought once. I wonder what I did with it ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

June 11th, 2019, 21:27
But there's hope, Alrik. These games still look alive. Either on their homepages or on Kickstarter.

-Baldur's Gate 3 (obviously)
-Realms Beyond (according to Steam it's going to be released early 2020)
-Black Geyser
-Stygian - Reign of the Old Ones
-Dungeons of Aledorn
-Archaelund
-Wasteland 3

Knights of the Chalice 2 is an the planning phase, part one is supposed to get to Steam and GoG. For people who don't mind a action in their games, there's also Cyberpunk, Outer Worlds, and Bloodlines 2.

So be patient. Next year is looking good. Even without wannabes (in my opinion) like Biomutant. And I don't think that BG 3 will be out in the next 2 or 3 years, so there's a future, too.

Edit: Has anybody played Exiled Kingdoms? Is it any good?

Dragonfly

Watcher

June 11th, 2019, 23:53
PoE 2 had a 'virtues' system of sorts with its personality types that were used for the disposition-based reputation.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Disposition

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 11:22
Well, I think the "good old times" feeling is something we all have to face at some point of maturity. But I think that its still possible to come to conclusion the "new times" are not so bad after all. Not only in gaming.

But speaking of gaming, there is so many games and genres these days like never before. We have adventure games renaissance upon us, with tons of story and exploration games with no fighting or combat at all. We have tons of musical games completely devoid of any violence. We have plethora of indie games not focused on violence. I could name titles, but is it really necessary? And so many games really suitable for kids are available (especially by Nintendo).

Im old, but I dont want to think the gaming (or world) is heading to hell. :-)

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 18:38
Yes, in the Indie gaming scene everything is flourisghing like never before.

What actually worries me, however, is the big boys never doing something outside of a very few genres due to risk aversion - or silencing it to death like Unravel.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 2nd, 2019, 16:46
Vacation-time.
I can do everything I want.
It's in the height of the day. The sun shines, everything is lit and bright.
I want to play a game.
I start up a game.
"Huh ? It's so dark within that game … I can't see anything with the sun outside shining ! Even without the sun shining i nto my room, it's just too bright ! I just can't see anything on that monitor !"
"Umph. I can't even turn the brightness of my monitor so high that I can see anything within the game without the game's athmosphere going away ! It's just crap to play a murky dungeon with the brightness setting so high during daylight !"

Seriously. Why are there so many games I can only play in the evening or in the dark ?
Yes, of course, games are meant to be played after work, when it's getting darker anyway.
But it's my vacation time ! I want to play a game I like in the brightness of the day ! The daylight should not ruin it !

When I look at some console games, I become jealous. These are meant to be played by the whole family … and that includes : Daylight !
I mean kids don't want to play games in the darkness of the evening. well, modern kids perhaps do … But family games are an completely different audience. Being able to play a game during daylight is kind of mandatory for these kinds of games.

In recent times, I more and more wonder where to get a game I like and which is coloured so that I can play it during daylight - for the PC platform !

I fear I need to get a console.

And no, shutters don't count.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 3rd, 2019, 02:12
The worse the light is for playing a game, the better the light is for reading a book!
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

+1:

August 3rd, 2019, 20:56
Yeah, I found out that, too !

Bought myself Eberron novels today in NEW condition in an RPG shop !
Even with the original prices !
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » A Thought