Gloomhaven - Early Access Release - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gloomhaven - Early Access Release

Default Gloomhaven - Early Access Release

July 18th, 2019, 00:01
The Early Access version of Gloomhaven is now available on Steam:

Gloomhaven's Early Access has Begun!

Gloomhaven has now launched to Steam on PC for 24.99 USD/EUR. Enter the Early Access now and begin adventuring through the dungeons of Gloomhaven, facing off against a variety of deadly foes across a range of dungeons and encountering powerful bosses!

Your journey to the darkened lands of Gloomhaven is complete and your adventures to prove your power have begun. You've settled in the Wayward Inn with your party to rest after your long and difficult travels. While drinking an ale you overhear snippets of conversation between two town militia…A Bandit Commander has come into possession of a number of heretical texts and has begun researching necromancy. Magic generally comes hand in hand with gold and riches, so you have asked around and discovered the location of the bandit's hideout.

You begin your journey and decide that you are not quite ready to confront the Bandit Commander yet. You leave Wayward and decide on raiding some local crypts in search of knowledge and better equipment. It's time to choose your path and begin your adventure! Will you become a mercenary reknown beyond measure, that thinks tactically and plans out their adventure carefully, surviving to the end… or will you be rash and laid to rest by your foes in the depths of the crypts and dungeons of Gloomhaven?

[…]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 03:20
Um this looks like it could end up being awesome even at this early state of release.
Turn based and tactical. Hex based tiles with full campaign and multiplayer to come.
I watched a video and wonder where all the watchers are because this seems to have all the buttons on and levers crossed for everyone here.
I watched a video and have my finger on the steam button. Anyone have some critical feedback? I know, early access disappointments?
--
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The Second Coming- William Butler Yeats

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 06:22
I generally dont do early access, but I have the tabletop game and enjoy it….. does look like it pushes the right buttons!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 08:49
Initial steam reviews are that it is in horrible shape; not just minor issues but horrible enough they should have waited. Think I'll wait until they demonstrate they will fix the issues.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 15:02
Originally Posted by you View Post
Initial steam reviews are that it is in horrible shape; not just minor issues but horrible enough they should have waited. Think I'll wait until they demonstrate they will fix the issues.
Really? I bought it and played one dungeon in the adventure mode…only one available, seemed pretty good so far….I barely one my first easy dungeon.

One thing I didn't know before buying is that it isn't just one off dungeons right now, you have the world map with an overall quest with multiple dungeons, just not the main story line of 95 dungeons or what not. I'm sure there are bugs but i haven't witnessed any yet. I own the table top game as well….

Edit: Also I just read reviews….mostly positive….the few negatives have reasons in them such as the new durability mechanic on items and bugs that are show stopping…this is early access, not unheard of for these issues.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 15:24
I was thinking of getting this to help me learn how to play the board game.

And why do so many games feel the need to have weapon durability? Do most people enjoy that or find it annoying?

Lynchden

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 18th, 2019, 15:25
I tend to avoid early access games, so I won't be trying this out yet, but I am interested in any and all feedback from those braver than I. I'm pretty certain I will be buying this once it's fully complete.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 17:01
I play the board game version once per week and I can say it's an excellent game. I have not and won't get the video game though, as it looks exactly the same as the board game, without being a board game, which is a huge minus in my book. Plus, item degradation just makes no sense as a mechanic in Gloomhaven. This "feature" is not in the tabletop version and I think it shouldn't be in the virtual either.

That said, this version looks good and could be an alternative for those who don't have access to the real deal, but would like to experience Gloomhaven anyway. @Lynchden, there are a lot of companion apps for the tabletop version that streamline it and make playing it a breeze. You should definitely check them out before purchasing the video game!

I use Gloomhaven Helper, Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer and Gloomhaven Campaign Manager.

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

July 18th, 2019, 17:21
Do characters have their own separate money and items in the videogame as they do in the board game, or is it a shared party stash?

Shared cash would make it a lot easier to get good items early on, and sharable gear would mean you wouldn't lose a character's stuff when he retires, so they may have wanted to compensate for increased access to weapons with the durability mechanic.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

July 19th, 2019, 00:32
Supposedly the most popular board game of all time?

I am not sure how to play I am having a hard time getting the moves off after the first round. I only have played for a few minutes last night so I am sure I am doing something wrong. Looks like their are two ends of each card so maybe I left something not finished because I keep getting no prompts to end turn. It's a very nice looking game and game zooms in and out and rotates around nicely. I heard the game will get the price raised as time goes on and it gets closer to launch.

There will be a mod mode which I like the idea of for sure.
--

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2019, 00:43
Also I just read reviews….mostly positive….the few negatives have reasons in them such as the new durability mechanic on items and bugs that are show stopping…this is early access, not unheard of for these issues.
They do have a discord site devoted to it and the devs seem to be listening and responding to people's feedback. Main complaint so far is you only get a brief flash view of the modifier card.
--

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2019, 01:27
I don't do early access, but I have it on my wish list for release, will be a day one purchase most likely from what I am seeing.

azsinistar

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 19th, 2019, 07:02
I just skimmed the complaints. Please provide more first hand feedback when you play more…

Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Really? I bought it and played one dungeon in the adventure mode…only one available, seemed pretty good so far….I barely one my first easy dungeon.

One thing I didn't know before buying is that it isn't just one off dungeons right now, you have the world map with an overall quest with multiple dungeons, just not the main story line of 95 dungeons or what not. I'm sure there are bugs but i haven't witnessed any yet. I own the table top game as well….

Edit: Also I just read reviews….mostly positive….the few negatives have reasons in them such as the new durability mechanic on items and bugs that are show stopping…this is early access, not unheard of for these issues.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gloomhaven - Early Access Release