Obsidian - Wants to make another Fallout

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted on Gamepressure that Obsidian wants to make another Fallout game:

Obsidian wants to make another Fallout game

With Fallout: New Vegas Obsidian Entertainment proved that they ccoul make a great Fallout game. Now the studio says they would gladly do another one.

Would you like to see another Fallout from Obsidian Entertainment? The team wants that too. Fallout: New Vegas director Josh Sawyer told IGN that, given a chance, his team would love to go back to the Fallout franchise. He also added that people ask him all the time whether Obsidian will return to the franchise and that he gets “more questions about Fallout than anything else”.
More information.

With another lead designer, yes. No more Sawyer pls.

Will the franchise ever return to turn-based?

That's another question that perhaps many fewer people ask.

Will the franchise ever return to turn-based?

That's another question that perhaps many fewer people ask.

Yeah....not gonna happen. Just look at the sales that the damn thing had at its fourth entry.

Post-apocalypse setting has become much more common in recent years. I'd actually prefer them do something in a more original setting if they decide to go turn-based (something they should have done with their first Kickstarter project rather than playing it safe).

Why they don't design and build a spiritual successor to Arcanum's steampunk/magic setting is beyond me!

Well, their expedition to the unique with Tyranny didn't fare so well, and I can't imagine that Arcanum has a particularly large fan base. Fallout is widely familiar now, so I'd expect they'd like to return to that if only to generate better sales.

I would love to see them do another Fallout but only if they don't return to the past and do a painfully slow turn based style. It was nice for the first two at the time but it would just be a big step backwards at this point. Would rather see them do something like they did with FNV only using improved graphics with their better stories and companions.

Fallout 1&2 were nice but would rather they not go backwards. I don't want another slow tb game in the same universe setting.

Would sooner end up in hands of Arkane...after their acquiring spree Bethesda has only published a single game done by outside studio, compared to more than a dozen prior.
Obsidian is only damaging their public image with these statements.

With another lead designer, yes. No more Sawyer pls.

What's wrong with Sawyer? I thought Fallout: New Vegas was in general considered to be a good game, the best of the new Fallouts?

Just asking, not arguing.

pibbur

I thought FO:NV was the weakest of the franchise. Didn't care for the way damage was calculated at all. Navigation inside Vegas was a hot mess.

F: NV was without a doubt the best of the Fallout 3-4 bunch. A coherent world, some interesting characters and at least something halfway usable came out of that combat system.

Obsidian should just develop their own post-apocalyptic setting game. Imagine Obisidian having to ask Bethesda for permission to develop this and that feature and them saying no because it is not enough of a greaseball feature.

'Sorry guys but we require creation club to feature in the new fallout game'
'Don't put so much reactivity in the game guys. That is not mainstream enough.'
'What do you mean you want companions to have their own motivations?'

I am pretty sure a kickstarter for a new post-apocalyptic game from Obsidian would sell like hotcakes.

What's wrong with Sawyer? I thought Fallout: New Vegas was in general considered to be a good game, the best of the new Fallouts?

Just asking, not arguing.

pibbur

Avellone, not Sawyer, was the Lead Designer on all but Honest Hearts - which is generally considered the weakest of all the DLC with its trite cowboys & indians motif. Besides, with Tim Cain employed by Obsidian now, anyone aside from him leading up any such imaginary project would be a crime.

Regardless, Fallout is dead. Bethesda will continue pumping out the same game for the next twenty years just as it has done with TES. Supermutants, Raiders, and a vapid worldspace to please gamers with the IQ of said supermutants. Ad infinitum. A new franchise makes the most sense.

Post-apocalypse setting has become much more common in recent years. I'd actually prefer them do something in a more original setting if they decide to go turn-based (something they should have done with their first Kickstarter project rather than playing it safe).

Why they don't design and build a spiritual successor to Arcanum's steampunk/magic setting is beyond me!

Here's a hint...it didn't sell worth shit.

I sure wouldn't mind another Obsidian Fallout. Pretty fun game. It wasn't as good as Bethesda's offerings, but they were better than any other mod with that engine. I'd love to see them write a good heterosexual female. Cassidy and Veronica don't cut it and of course neither does Lily Monster.

I gotta be honest, i expected crpgnut to rain hellfire and brimstone on anyone that suggested they didnt want another version of a classic crpg :)
I was so wrong!

Nah Obsidian just has strengths that complement Bethesda's. Great open worlds with tons to do, with superior story telling and better companions. Fallout 4 finally got the writing for companions right; for the most part, but FNV's companions showed them how to do it. Preston kinda sucks, but Piper, Cait, Nick, and Curie are all well written. I haven't played much with Macready or Hancock.

However Fallout 4's story was a step down and quite repetitive to Fallout 3's. I thought FNV's House story was bad, but loved the conflict between the NCR and Legion.

Of course, the best companions are in Hunie Pop!

Yeah….not gonna happen. Just look at the sales that the damn thing had at its fourth entry.
Or maybe look at sales for D:OS2.
Turn based games can earn a lot if done well instead of half assed like Pillars of Eternity (I know it is not turn based but it is also latest bigger Obsidian game).

Back
Top Bottom