Larian Studios - Educating Players

Here is a response from a freelance game journalist. He gives some insight in how modern day journalism works. People love to condemn journalists myself included.

It's good to see what the other side thinks.^^

Here is the link. - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s0reu1

That perception is very personal.

Studios are usually very aware of the issue of a journalist getting stuck. A phone call, an email to the studios and journalists are given the solution to move. Sometimes, even, press releases versions come with a kit to help solutions like console command to move past a scene. Sometimes, press release versions include specific commands etc

Second, journalists are also recruited on their capacity to beat a game. At least, were. The press used to monetize walkthroughs and they had to get them done as fast as possible.

Once again, the influence of the press is exaggerated. It is no longer what it is.
The problem of a studio like Larian is they've stuck with a niche concept, and that they want to grow outside that niche. In that way, they need relays and do not find them in the community at large. Getting a popular streamer to build his show around their game will do more good than dozens of journalists. But a popular streamer wont use their game because it wont attract views.
Hence their will to use journalists as a tool to educate players.
It is ? Has the quality declined because of the story in Indy 4 ß Because of the story in Monkey Island ?
No. It is tied to the degeneration of games from an object of gameplay to a medium to deliver stories.

Right now, players demand story over gameplay in a game. Players have made a non essential dimension in gaming an absolute demand.
You see only 1 genre as being everything in gaming : The Action Games as such.

But - Action is not everything.- Like in movies : You don't entirely have action movies, you have drama comedy, everything is possible.

In gaming, you have Action games, and you have storytelling games, like Adventure games.
Many more types in gaming than action (combat) or story telling games.
Yes, a story in Indy Jones games is not essential at all.
Story in a game is a non essential.
But what would be an Indy Action Movie without a story to be told ? What would be the original Monkey Island game without a story ? A mere search-and-click game. Like you have so many games noadays like "Farm Frenzy" or the "Wimmelbild" genre (don't know how this is called in English language).

What is a book without a story ?

Books and movies can exist without story. A mathematical book has no story in it. The big difference between books, movies and video games is that the art of storytelling for books and movies is well known, has been theorized in many ways and can be taught and learned.
Video games, despite probably billions dollars invested in investigating storytelling in video games, have failed to produce a story telling theory. Writers simply do not know how to tell a story in a video game.

Right now, players demand story over gameplay in a game. Players have made a non essential dimension in gaming an absolute demand.
There's almost certainly just as many gamers who want gameplay as the primary element in their games as there ever was. Likely more these days. The issue is that all these people who want their games to basically be an interactive movie have come along in recent years, have now been added on to the group that's referred to as "gamers", and are now part of the target audience for games. The people who don't care about gameplay and want an interactive movie weren't playing games in the 80s or 90s (because what they want wasn't possible back then), so they weren't part of the target audience...but these days they're a majority of it.

Probably because nowadays kids hardly experience deep and satisfying gameplay. What they experience is mostly "movie quality" - they see a lot of cutscenes, superb graphics, flashy MC animations, "cool" looking characters, but they are not drawn to play it to the end, to master the game.

I can agree to that.

Go out, buy yourself Trine or the Giana Sisters. I think that these are really good games.

No. It is tied to the degeneration of games from an object of gameplay to a medium to deliver stories.

In my opinion, it is actually the other way round : We do not see any story-driven games anymore.

Why is this ?

Because people demand action games over story-based games.

I simply cannot remember ANY major, well-selling story based game within the last years - apart from Adventure games, of course.

You never played Indy 4. That's what I assume after this reply.

Books and movies can exist without story. A mathematical book has no story in it. The big difference between books, movies and video games is that the art of storytelling for books and movies is well known, has been theorized in many ways and can be taught and learned.

Okay, then tell me how a book with nothing but Math (just numbers and signs) in it can be written so that it becomes an storytelling book. And a book people would want to read - especially people who do not work with Mathematics all of the time.

I simply cannot remember ANY major, well-selling story based game within the last years - apart from Adventure games, of course.
Seriously? What do you call a story based game then?

Look at something like Bioshock Infinite. No gameplay whatsoever really, just a basic on-rails shooter. The only appeal is the story, period. How's that not a story based game?

I haven't played it - so, from the outside, it looks like a shooter to me. One of the better ones.

The shooter aspect of it is really basic, ridiculously easy, and just all-around simplistic and boring, really. They obviously spent most of their budget on the story, and more importantly its presentation (via in-game graphics/sound, and expensive cutscenes). The same applies to many games nowadays. Actual gameplay takes a back seat. I believe that is what ChienAboyeur was referring to.

What do you mean by "story based game"? Please define it. Because that claim doesn't make any sense to me. I see plenty of story based games out there. :)

If the story based game stands for the classic adventure genre, games such as loom, monkey islands, dig, indy: fate of atlantis etc, I can understand your position, but then we're defining a story based game quite differently.

Games have hard time to invent new mechanisms that feel fresh and many players want the feeling of fresh new stuff. The result is all game genres that found a way to focus on story, put a higher and higher focus on it because it's the way of the game to feel fresh despite it's the same tedious combats known mechanisms and more.

This is for example FPS, RPG and adventure games. The problem is a very strong story means a strong story telling and it's very hard to merge a great gameplay and a strong story telling.

But what means Alrik is perhaps that a game story based is a game where player decisions and acts rely often on story elements. I think most modern RPG still match this so that hypothesis doesn't explain better Alrik opinion.

That's too general.
A story isn't essential in a sports simulation game or whatever.
In a CRPG (for me) it is essential.

If the story based game stands for the classic adventure genre, games such as loom, monkey islands, dig, indy: fate of atlantis etc, I can understand your position, but then we're defining a story based game quite differently.

RPGs are to me rather "Adventure games with RPG elements", soi to say, that's where I come from.

So, yes, Adventure games are what defines "story games".

Back
Top Bottom