Stardock - Hardcore Game Opportunities

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brad Wardell continues to proseltyze his familiar but important message that their are profitable opportunities to make modest, hardcore games for the faithful. In a GDC address reported at Gamasutra, Brad Wardell says these gamers pirate less and require less tech support and then gives some numbers for their recent games:
The Stardock founder then revealed specific revenue numbers for two of its recent projects. He explained that the PC title Galactic Civilizations II had a $1.2 million development budget for the base game plus two expansions.

The marketing budget, including advertising, press tours, and so on was $500,000, and the was a $500,000 distribution budget for "market development funds" to get shelf space at major retailers. From there, the title has done $10 million lifetime revenue and counting, according to Wardell.
More information.

That is absolutely great news. I hope he finds some believers because I like a lot of the Stardock stuff and I'm anxiously awaiting Demigod and Elemental both idie type games published by Stardock. I'm glad their making money. And at a 1 to 10 rate, they should not have any problems getting investors now. Will they take my $1000.00 . . .

The games Stardock, and other small companies, release generally have a smarter strategy: Is there a big enough market for the game I want to develop, compared to the costs? If no, then don't develop it.

This is, indeed, good news. I have been thinking for years that there is a good market for games like what Stardock publishes. A middle ground between Unreal 3 engine and Spiderweb you might call it. It's smart, because the people who play these games require next to zero marketing. As opposed to a lot of the games that sell 5 million units but blow through more than $20 or $30 Million in marketing.

Besides as noted hardcore gamers have a strong love for games and many are willing to pay and support the developer, to get more hardcore games which they love.

I do so like those numbers, nearly as much as I like Sins of a Solar Empire and the GalCiv series. I do hope that Stardock continues to develop and publish games such as those.

The games Stardock, and other small companies, release generally have a smarter strategy: Is there a big enough market for the game I want to develop, compared to the costs? If no, then don't develop it.

Like the old Shareware concept.

Back
Top Bottom