Skyrim - New Skyblivion Screenshots

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
DSOG has some new screenshots for the Skyrim total conversion mod Skyblivion:

New beautiful screenshots released for the Oblivion total conversion mod for Skyrim, Skyblivion

The team behind Skyblivion, an Oblivion total conversion mod for Skyrim, has released a new set of screenshots. These screenshots will give you an idea of the mod’s current state. And from the looks of it, Skyblivion retains the same atmosphere as Oblivion did when it came out.

In case you weren’t aware of, Skyblivion is a total conversion by the TESRenewal modding group, aiming to bring the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to a new generation of gamers and re-introduce it to long time fans of the series. The team is currently in the process of porting and rebuilding Cyrodiil along with all of its quests, locations and characters into Skyrim and Skyrim: Special Edition.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Still don't think these things are worthwhile.

Oblivion is still okay for Oblivion with its own charm, plus it has loads of mods (my archived portable Oblivion install was approaching 30GB last time I checked and it can even sync the mods to the selected save etc). All the work put into this could have been put to such better use.

Same goes for all of these Sky-blivi-wind things.

The only worthwhile such things are the likes of OpenMW, which has a goal of updating the technology, the hard parts. It's already an accomplishment to have gotten as far as it has, the though of it being completed and then hopefully adding features like MGE visual enhancements natively is just stunning.

It's the kind of thing people could easily be pointing at and still playing over a decade after its done (even excluding the possibility of added multiplayer). While all these Oblivi-wind-ski things are just that, things, a handful of people will play, not complete, while quietly lamenting the lack of former mods, then never go back to it or if they do they'll be more likely to go back to the original its mods.

Well, it's hard to complain about people doing hard work on things like this.

But I agree it doesn't seem worthwhile and they never seem to get done.

Which reminds me, Bethsoft have been very quiet of late about upcoming games.

Can't be long now.

Still don't think these things are worthwhile.

Oblivion is still okay for Oblivion with its own charm, plus it has loads of mods (my archived portable Oblivion install was approaching 30GB last time I checked and it can even sync the mods to the selected save etc). All the work put into this could have been put to such better use.

Same goes for all of these Sky-blivi-wind things.

The only worthwhile such things are the likes of OpenMW, which has a goal of updating the technology, the hard parts. It's already an accomplishment to have gotten as far as it has, the though of it being completed and then hopefully adding features like MGE visual enhancements natively is just stunning.

It's the kind of thing people could easily be pointing at and still playing over a decade after its done (even excluding the possibility of added multiplayer). While all these Oblivi-wind-ski things are just that, things, a handful of people will play, not complete, while quietly lamenting the lack of former mods, then never go back to it or if they do they'll be more likely to go back to the original its mods.

I do agree that it would make sense to put the energy into building an open source engine capable of implementing Elder Scrolls (and other games). Then, it could be kept up to date and improved over time. The problem with these Obliviwindskis, is that by the time they'll be complete (if ever), the engine they're using itself becomes outdated.

The biggest drawback is that if you started reimplementing more recent Bethesda games, you might end up being harassed by their lawyers.

I do agree that it would make sense to put the energy into building an open source engine capable of implementing Elder Scrolls (and other games). Then, it could be kept up to date and improved over time. The problem with these Obliviwindskis, is that by the time they'll be complete (if ever), the engine they're using itself becomes outdated.

The biggest drawback is that if you started reimplementing more recent Bethesda games, you might end up being harassed by their lawyers.

Well redoing the technology is hard, it's not just a matter or being time consuming but simply being beyond the knowledge of most sometimes outright beyond their ability (hands up all those willing to teach themself a degrees worth of low level programming to make meaningful contributions). So it's not really fair to say they should all be helping in that area as they are likely simply unable to.

Though I see where you're coming from. Imagine if instead of wasting, uhm spending, so much time on getting game X (which still works fine and has loads of mods) to work to an extent inside game Y (but without support for the associated mods which are increasingly becoming a requirement to make Bethesda TES games bearable), they instead, say, spent that time helping with Tamriel Rebuilt.

It would be quite something to have OpenMW and Tamriel Rebuilt both complete and working. Instead I see a load of hard work and dedication, which itself I can respect, going into something which will fall to the side without contributing something which will be built upon.

Even if they had simply built a nice new landmass to be added to Skyrim (no quests, npcs, animals etc, just land) that other modders could add to, it could have been a significant long lasting contribution they could point to years from now going "look people are still using our..."

Modding is a hobby, like skiing or playing chess. It doesn't need to have a business goal. Anyway, the shots look purdy.

Back
Top Bottom