Albion - Retrospective Review

Well, not to impressed with the review but my hats off to the reviewer who was able to enjoy this old school relic. Kinda nice to see that a well designed game can still hold up in todays gaming world.

I really liked Albion and the only game that came close to letting me game in a totally unique world was Morrowwind, 8 years later. Also the Albion music still rings in my mind today.

I think one of the benefits of limited technology was that some developers spent more time on story and/or rpg system complexity. Some yesteryear games simply out do modern equivalents

Albion is a really unique game in multiple ways. I especially liked the atmosphere and story of being someone who crashlanded on an alien jungle planet. I liked the navigation on the map and the switch to 3D for dungeons and cities also looked kinda cool. The latter part looks horribly outdated today though.
But I also remember that I wasn't too fond of the other "worlds" or islands or whatever it was where you arrived after you left the initial jungle area. I only skimmed through the video but I think these areas weren't even shown.

While the original music is also very cool, there is a very cool albion tribute track on youtube which is worth checking out:

Also, albeit being a very different game, Halfway somehow reminded me of Albions spaceship aesthetics. Also a very cool game I'd recommend.

Awesome review. Been meaning to play this for years now. Always was interested in it.

Awesome review. Been meaning to play this for years now. Always was interested in it.

You would like it. It was a fun game. I might try to dig this one out again.

I didn't play it upon release, but a few years ago on GOG. So I'm not suffering from nostalgia or memories.

*The art direction is very good, and surely the game was absolutely gorgeous when released, but it doesn't profit from that bonus much today.

*The way companions were done was very unsual for any western RPG of its time. Its much more like a JRPG, or what Bioware did years later. Again I imagine it was pretty revolutionary for its time, but from a modern point of view, I'd say its nothing special.

*The setting is extremely unique, its one of the things that actually kept me playing through the game.

*The character development system is pretty shallow. Its okay, but nothing special.

BEAUTIFUL GAME!! Absolutely MustPlay™

Has mixed hi-tech and fantasy environs just like wizardry.

*The setting is extremely unique, its one of the things that actually kept me playing through the game.

I found that, too.

My only problem was that the fights became harder and harder, which made me stop somewhere in the middle of the game.

Anyway, an unique games. I'd really like to see it being remade, but that won't happen in this "Age Of Action" (only a few recent games went off that road).

Plus, people would simply complain because of its colourfulness. :lol:

I think GOG even has it.

I found that, too.

My only problem was that the fights became harder and harder, which made me stop somewhere in the middle of the game.

Anyway, an unique games. I'd really like to see it being remade, but that won't happen in this "Age Of Action" (only a few recent games went off that road).

Plus, people would simply complain because of its colourfulness. :lol:

I think GOG even has it.

Yeah, I bought it on Gog. I unfortunately think its unique setting might work against a remake. Customers have voted time and time with their wallets against mainstream games with unique settings. While such a setting works well for a niche game like Age of Decadence, this is part of the reason that Planescape:Torment and Jade Empire were financial failures.

I remember reading HiddenX positive thoughts on this game previously; thanks to those and Forgottenlor's I have now added it to my wishlist on GOG. :)

I vaguely recollect trying out the demo on an old shareware cd years ago, but never did see the full game anywhere locally to buy. Another reason to be thankful for the existence of GOG. :)

Got this one back in the days in "magazine" which was basically just a cardboard thing with a CD in it, called "Bestseller Games" which I used to call "Besteller Games" cause I was stupid :p
Was a great way to get original games back then :)

Got this one back in the days in "magazine" which was basically just a cardboard thing with a CD in it, called "Bestseller Games" which I used to call "Besteller Games" cause I was stupid :p
Was a great way to get original games back then :)

I think that's where I got it from, too.

Back
Top Bottom