Rumor: Horizon Zero Dawn Coming Out on PC

H:ZD is a really good game with some problems. Mainly, the pacing. The last 1/3 of the game is so, so loaded with exposition. It's like they were wrapping up development and suddenly realized "hey, we forgot about explaining the story!" Seriously, towards the very end you encounter one scene after another of holograms re-enacting the story, and what happened to the world to make it the one you just played in. You DO get a notion of what happened before that, but the plot gets more complicated (it's a really cool story) and they tell way too much of it through these little movies you watch.

Another big issue is human enemies. For some reason, the humans you fight are really, really dumb and easy to beat. The robots are much smarter. Hunting the robots is GREAT as you use tripwire traps, grenades and other tech like rope-launchers to tie up their legs. You can set up these traps and chase or make them follow you into them with help from the terrain.

Of course, there's a suspension of disbelief where you are a teenaged cave-woman who can make arrows while running and shoot giant angry robots with a bow to kill them. And climbing rocks and such isn't very well done. Lots of jumping around to see where you CAN jump to. Plus, some of the dialog was… not great. Plenty of staring at almost—ALMOST—human looking faces put it into the Uncanny Valley. The more games I play, the more I appreciate art direction that doesn't try to look photo-real with human models.

Really looking forward to the sequel. Even though I'm pointing out the negatives here, the game was mostly great. And drop-dead gorgeous, even on a PS4. The jungle areas, and the vast deserts with mesas and red rock formations were beautiful. They had a DLC which was all ice and snow, and let me just say: I'm sick and tired of ice and snow in games. So I never played it. The sequel will hopefully have those minor issues I brought up fixed.

ALSO: there's some choices you make during the game. And you can kill enemies in all sorts of different ways. And it's pretty free-roam, but I think parts of the world unlock as you progress. But I don't think of it as an RPG. It's an action game with a good story.

1579454663166.png

Is it possible?

https://jackofallcontrollers.com/20...-knowledge-to-work-on-the-last-of-us-part-ii/

What's the point as part one was never released on the PC? It's also possible it might have to do with the new systems expected soon. Anyway it a small hope at least.

I'd rather see a port of Days Gone.

What's the point as part one was never released on the PC? It's also possible it might have to do with the new systems expected soon. Anyway it a small hope at least.

I'd rather see a port of Days Gone.

I’m guessing if they plan to release the 2nd on pc they already plan to port the first.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them port all their exclusives. Many of them are excellent. They can start with demon souls and then bloodbourne. :biggrin:

I’m guessing if they plan to release the 2nd on pc they already plan to port the first.
Would be a dream come true if they did. :)

I agree about porting more Sony exclusives.

Wont mention the two games you wrote as I hate those games, but I can't deny they would probably sell well. Given the Dark Souls games sold a few million on the PC.

Is it possible?
It is. Square Enix added PConly technologies inside FF15 port that's visual marvel in 60FPS - they needed people with knowledge about stuff that doesn't exist on Jaguar architecture. Luckily they already had some at Crystal Dynamics.
I seriously doubt Sony wants to troll PC audience with half-arsed ports that's why I say it's possible. Here's hope that beside CPU/GPU staff, they'll also hire someone who's familiar with controls "standards" (wasd=movement, m=map, j=journal, i=inventory, … backspace for anything=:thumbdown: on steam reviews because it's an atrocity).
H:ZD is a really good game with some problems.
Rarely any game has no problems. The thing is, if you don't have a console, if you don't want to buy a console, if you'd rather die than do it… And you catch a gold fish that'll has specific power to grant you 3 and only 3 port-2-PC games.
Which 3 would you pick to see on PC? Would one of those be HZD? As I said, if you never touched a console in your life.

Another big issue is human enemies. For some reason, the humans you fight are really, really dumb and easy to beat. The robots are much smarter. Hunting the robots is GREAT as you use tripwire traps, grenades and other tech like rope-launchers to tie up their legs. You can set up these traps and chase or make them follow you into them with help from the terrain.

I agree the human enemies aren't that great to fight against. I certainly can say there is no difference between fighting one given bandit camp and another, you can virtually use the same tactics to fighting all of them. At least the human enemies aren't the majority of combat. The real meat is fighting the machines: every robot requires a specific tactics, they have different abilities, resistances, weaknesses and forms of attacks.

Of course, there's a suspension of disbelief where you are a teenaged cave-woman who can make arrows while running and shoot giant angry robots with a bow to kill them.

Crafting is really a simplified feature here but, as I replied to JDR13 in the H:ZD review thread, I think it works better that way because it would be really a pain in the ass if we had to return to e.g. a workbench in order to craft more arrows EVERY SNGLE TIME we ran out of them. Because we too often run out of ammo in the middle of the combat (at least I did).

Some Fans Are Mad That Sony is Releasing First Party PlayStation Exclusives On PC

Some Fans Are Mad That Sony is Releasing First Party PlayStation Exclusives On PC
As usual, some people's logic is beyond my understanding.
PS4 is already a zombie, PS5 is coming soon, it makes no sense that PS4 exclusives remain locked for future players.
Especially exclusives that have a potential to amaze the audience even more when played in constant 60 frames per second and different blur disabled.

Or maybe these "fans" are scared HZD will win goty on PC after they undermined it by voting for ubisoft towers cooking sim with breakable everything?
https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/a9f473/horizon_zero_dawn_won_52_goty_awards/
https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/7idpbi/ok_seriously_how_the_hell_does_this_game_not_win/
Now that is something I can understand. They want to hide their shame.

Well, I haven't been excited by any news of the launch titles for PS5 so far. Or for the Xbox, either. I doubt I'll get a PS5 until Spring of 2021 unless something new pops up. And that's if they really do hit Holiday 2020 for launch… though they will probably move heaven and earth do make it happen. I think I waited to get the PS4 until Bloodborne came out, which I think was March. Before that? There were zero PS4 titles I was interested in. Many of those launch titles will be playable PS5 & 4, and the really meaty stuff won't be available right at launch.

And not every PS owner buys the new version on launch day. That leaves the PS4 with an entire 1-2 more years. It's better to wait and see if the launch brings lemons or massive bugs and problems anyway.

I'll restate: I've switched to consoles exclusively because of wrist and arm issues from using a M&K so much for work. Plus: less hassle and more overall comfort. I still understand the appeal of PC gaming, but I've consciously and decidedly put those days behind me.

Reason 1 for fans to be mad: "I bought a PS4 specifically to play this game. I could have just waited and saved a lot of money!"

Reason 2 for fans to be mad: "I was having fun rubbing my PC gamer friend's nose in the fact that he couldn't play this game!"

Can't say I feel for either one of them.

It seems like the port has some issues.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review

Anyone else pre-order? I already have it installed, but I might wait for another patch before starting.

I've got it pre-ordered, but will not pre-load as for some reason it seems for me it's faster to download 50-100GBs than to pre-load and then way to decrypt.

I'll probably start a playthrough to see how well it runs, but will probably not keep to it. I've been in a particular gaming-funk lately, with very little will to play.

For some reason, for years now, I seem to be more emotionally involved in excitedly waiting for a game, than to actually play it.

Anyone else pre-order? I already have it installed, but I might wait for another patch before starting.

I did, preinstalled, it'll be unlocked tomorrow when I finish with my work so I'm gonna play the game right away.
Won't be waiting for any kind of patch.

The port is definetly suspicious. Some options don't make any visible difference at all, others tax the game too much for nothing relevant while the game loses one setting on every restart.
The rumor is this port was outsourced to the same bunch of incompetent fools who did the retarded Arkham Knight port.
HZD port doesn't seem to be the same unplayable tragedy, but those occasional microstutters presented in DF video are horrors:

DS used a modified Decima engine and from the scratch aimed for 60FPS everywhere, animations and cutscenes included.
HZD was designed for 30FPS so at least some animations will look odd in 60.
Also, PC ports weren't done by the same company.

For all I've read and seen, no hardware combination can run smooth 60FPS 4K max settings HZD.
But 1080p, some things with no obvious visual difference like clouds quality lowered just a notch, you can easily get 60+FPS.

What remains actually problematic are microstutters that occassionally occur. Randomly. An illogical annoyance that definetly needs to be fixed.

From what I've heard there is a day one patch planned and it's supposed to address the performance issues.

Back
Top Bottom