Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Dying Light - Hellraid DLC Launch Trailer

Dying Light – Hellraid opens the portal to Hell in Harran!

Dying Light – Hellraid is now available on Steam and will launch on Xbox One and PS4™ tomorrow (August 14th) at 19:00 CEST.

After months of intense work by our team dedicated to updating and expanding Dying Light, we are ready to invite you into Ba’al’s Tower – an otherworldly stronghold infested with servants of Hell. Based on our currently-on-hold first-person slasher Hellraid, the latest paid DLC introduces an entirely new game mode that you can access through a possessed arcade machine located in the Tower in Harran.

Dying Light – Hellraid is much more than just a new map. We wanted to really shake things up by fleshing out the dark fantasy vibe of the setting, so we ditched zombies in favor of brand-new enemies. Those weapons you got used to in Harran had to go to, but don’t worry, you’ll get yourselves some new ones in Ba’al’s Tower’s torch-lit corridors and chambers. The DLC comes with its own progression system and as you improve your Hellraid rank, you’ll gain access to new swords, axes, and hammers. Good news is that you can also wield these completely new weapons outside of the hellish realm, as long as you pay for them with coins awarded for making runs through the dungeon. Of course, you can enjoy a co-op mode for up to 4 players.

There’s one more thing we need to share with you, and it’s an important one. Dying Light – Hellraid will be expanded with free content, including new ranks, weapons, collectible notes enriching the lore, and a bounty system. Expect the first update by the end of September.

Dying Light Hellraid - Walkthrough Gameplay (FIRST-LOOK)

Hellraid could have been a good game :(

Wasteland 3 Brian Fargo Interview - Postapocalyptic Media
The Wasteland franchise runs strong in my blood. The original game was my entire life in 1988 and as I look forward to Wasteland 3’s launch on August 28th, I can’t help but get a major case of nostalgia fever.

So I took this opportunity to reach out to original Wasteland game director, developer, and co-founder of Interplay Entertainment, Brian Fargo, to talk about how Wasteland 3 will advance the series and what we can expect from the future of Wasteland.
Bloodlines 2 PRODUCTION IN THE AGE OF COVID-19 - Official Webpage
Hello All – my name is Austin Maestre, and I am a producer on Bloodlines 2. I’m one of the newer producers at HSL, but I have been in production roles for about six years. In my experience, production can be a bit of a black box – in or outside of the games industry – so I want to take some time to share a bit about the role and how it has changed during the pandemic.

Front Mission inspired DUAL GEAR PC Gameplay

DUAL GEAR is a Tactical Action Turn-Base Strategy Game presented by Japanese Mecha Inspired. To go beyond the traditional, DUAL GEAR engaged the player to pilots their mechs with the Real-Time Action Shooting while experiencing in the high pressure of Tactical Turn-Based Layers!

Woo, glad you explained that name. I was trying to figure out how to say DUVLGEVbackwardR!

Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition Update 3.6.69.4648 Live - Steam
Hi Everyone,

Our latest update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition is now live! We've addressed an array of visual and technical issues with the new Armour Sets, the Peck Eyes skill is no longer available during character creation and the cake is no longer a lie as we've addressed the crash from interacting with the wedding cake in Arx.

Also a big shout out to Futeko Snowfeather, who created a mod called Relics Of Rivellon- Stand Alone which enables you to complete the Gift Bag quests on your current play through, without the need for a new game. You can take a look at the mod here.

Happy adventures through Rivellon!

-Larian Crew
Path of Exile - Will Harvest Become Core Content? - Official Website
There are five weeks left in Harvest which means things are starting getting closer to the launch of our 3.12 expansion in September. In the meantime, you may be wondering what the future of Harvest looks like. We're ready to share our plans!

In short, Harvest will not immediately become a core gameplay mechanic but may be reintroduced in the future.

When we designed Harvest, we wanted to experiment with a more deterministic crafting system that would enable players to access powerful items earlier in their character progression. In this sense, we feel that the crafting system has been very successful. However, at the top end of gameplay, Harvest has made it too easy to gain very powerful items that previously required a lot more work and investment to acquire. This was acceptable for a temporary challenge league but poses problems for the long-term health of Path of Exile's item economy if allowed to remain in its current state.
Josh Sawyer The Job of a Studio Design Director - Personal Blog
I am the studio design director at Obsidian Entertainment. This is, for lack of a better term, the “top” design position at the studio. A few people have recently asked me what it means for me to “give feedback” or “advise” on a game that I am not working on. Some people may also wonder what else the job entails. It comes down to five things:

• Meeting regularly with design directors at the company to talk through what they’re working on.
  • Playing builds of the company’s games at important milestones and providing feedback.
  • When asked, reviewing design documentation or attending design meetings to offer feedback and ideas.
  • Maintaining and updating the company’s internal design standards and applicant tests.
  • Depending on the position, filtering design resumes and attending interviews with other designers.

Last edited:
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Turn-Based Mode Released

Pathfinder: Kingmaker – Definitive Edition is the ultimate single-player RPG experience based on the acclaimed Pathfinder series.

Explore and conquer with your party the Stolen Lands of Golarion, a world rich with history, mystery and conflict featuring real-time combat or optional turn-based fights.

The Definitive Edition includes the base game, new features plus 6 DLCs.
Knights of the Chalice II Update #3 - New Patch and Next Steps
Hurray! Version 1.04 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is here and it's available both for Windows and 64-bit MacOS systems. If you're wondering why version 1.04 took longer to create than version 1.03, the answer is simple: I was busy working on the 64-bit MacOS version and sending out the KotC 1 Steam keys.

Mortal Shell Gamespot Video Review

Developer Cold Symmetry's budget action-RPG is a love letter to From Software's work, but Mortal Shell's take on similar ideas feels aimed at those who struggle to get through Soulsborne games.

Saw this Reddit post for Kingmaker Definitive Edition vs Old Kingmaker + Turn-based mod and thought it helpful:

So ive played the beta for 5 minutes now and I'd say the beta is actually way better.(3 hours later and i still think its better)

It is better, because in the ui it actually shows you what type of action your current action would be(be it a full-round action or just a move action)

Also (unlike the mod) the base version does 5ft steps automatically, and it also shows if you trigger attacks of opportunity(though the pathing sometimes glitches a little bit)

Other things that also got improved with the beta:

• There is now a % above the loading bar(not that important, but still an improvement in my opinion)
  • The tutorial got a lot better(like a lot a lot), especially explaining how turn based combat actually works
  • 2 new voices got added (these are actually different types for male(wise and grumpy ) than females(carefree and cunning)
  • you now see rolls above the characters heads(both damage and attack rolls)
  • you can speed up animations for both enemies and allies in turn based mode
  • you can also see debuffs(and probably buffs) in the top bar(where character order is displayed), that affect allies and enemies(flat footed as an example)
  • enemies and allies get in the character-order bar highlighted, if you hover over them and vice versa
  • if you hover over enemies while being able to do a fullturn attack you also see how often you will attack

Be mindful that any other mods not updated for this new version will be broken however.

How One Gameplay Decision Changed Diablo Forever

Today on War Stories, Ars Technica is joined by Diablo lead programmer David Brevik to break down the genesis and development of a PC hack & slash masterpiece. Unbeknownst to some, the original concept for Diablo called for a traditional, turn-based RPG - a genre Brevik came of age with and was heavily influenced by. However, following a fateful vote by show of hands at the Blizzard North offices, Diablo became something new entirely and an initially reluctant David Brevik was on the cusp of creating the first entry in a legendary action role-playing series.
Sega to 'Aggressively' Port Games to Steam After Persona 4 Success - IGN
As reported by GamesIndustry.Biz, Sega's latest investor Q&A underlined the sales performance of Persona 4 Golden on Steam, which was "significantly higher than expected." The company has said that this will help govern its approach towards porting its older games onto new platforms.

"Going forward, we intend to aggressively promote the porting of previously launched titles to Steam and other new platforms," Sega explained. "Under such direction, we would like to take multi-platform rollout in account and prepare the PC version and others from the start."
KOTOR 3: Why It Should Happen Now The world is ready - IGN
Poem Studios knew they were on borrowed time. Their fan-made passion project, ‘Project Apeiron’ intended to be a fully rebooted reinterpretation of 2003's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It was to be programmed on Unreal Engine 4 -- with a rebeautified set of planets, blasters and lightsabers, offering fans and newcomers alike the immortal cycle of Darth Revan on modern machinery. There is no way to feel secure while appropriating licensed Star Wars characters, but the hope was that Disney might turn a blind eye out of respect the sheer fanaticism of the still-vibrant KOTOR community; mercy for a fandom that hasn't received a mainline sequel since the release of Knights of the Old Republic 2, in 2004.

Remnant: From the Ashes - Subject 2923 DLC Released

Remnant: From the Ashes - Subject 2923 has players pick up where the main story left off as they continue the fight for humankind. In the DLC’s brand new campaign mode, players will discover the origins of “The Dreamers” -- humans bonded with powerful entities -- and how they connect to the dreaded Root, the evil force plaguing Earth. To successfully put an end to the Root once and for all, players must overcome new puzzles and threats, traverse unfamiliar locations, and partner up with unexpected allies in hopes of saving the world. These new challenges will take players to a rural region of Earth, into a military base called ‘Ward Prime’, where the U.S. military began the Dreamer Program in the 1960’s - as well as the new world of Reisum, a frosty, mountainous, world inhabited by the Urikki, a horde of humanoid rats.
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos, Close up on the Ranger

Today, follow us on this close up on the Ranger, the self-proclaimed leader of the adventuring party. Discover his outfits, skills, and general role on the battlefield!
Necromunda: Underhive Wars - Gameplay Overview Trailer

Necromunda: Underhive Wars - new Gameplay Overview explains everything you need to know

Necromunda: Underhive Wars, Focus Home Interactive and Rogue Factor’s third-person tactical-RPG game and debut of Games Workshop’s renowned Necromunda IP in a videogame, hits PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on September 8. Ahead of release, learn everything there is to know about creating a gang and fighting in the Underhive in today’s new Gameplay Overview Trailer.
Black Myth: Wukong - Official 13 Minutes Gameplay Trailer

Check out this trailer for Black Myth: Wu Kong, a new action adventure RPG based on the Journey to the West mythology!

Yes I'm back after a full week and finally got access to my email and passwords. If I have to fill out another Outlook recovery form for the 30th time again I will shoot myself.

Hope you guys enjoyed my alt.:biggrin:

Copper Dreams Update #29 - Build Update
There's a new deathmatch available for testers with the usual game mods, and swarm mode now has combatants with guns. Later this week will be the first tutorial area of the game, before you skip off to your base in the city proper. We'll announce that on twitter when it's available for download.
Solasta Dev Update #19 - Rise of the Undead
Hello folks,

As usual, the Dev Update following a video is going to be a slightly shorter one. I hope you enjoyed our discussion with Antoine about the lore of Solasta, the video was very interesting to work on. We've had to trim quite a few answers to avoid entering spoiler territory of course, you'll have to forgive us for that. Another challenge was that my co-workers were definitely not being cooperative during the editing stage, as can be seen in the picture below.
Broken Roads Creating the Visual Target - Web Blog
As Art Director, it’s my job to define the visual style of the game, and also guide the rest of the team towards that goal. In order to do this, I needed to create a visual target: a piece of concept art that shows what the finished product is meant to look like. The responsibility of creating a visual target image does not fall entirely on the concept artist’s shoulders. The concept artist must consult with each department to understand the existing challenges that the whole team must overcome to achieve the visual target. This consultation process is essential to discovering what is and what is not possible when factoring in restrictions of budget, time, and team skill. Thus, the visual target image is not only an artistic measuring stick, but also something that can realistically be aimed at for production of the entire game.
Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG - Hotfix 0.18.821.1244
Together with the recently released Patch 3, new weapons and items, stealth movement mechanics, cool perks and… new bugs have appeared in the Encased world. This list is what issues we’ve addressed in the Hotfix.

The Monkey King game might be fun. By the time it comes out, my hair should match Wukong's!
Hope you guys enjoyed my alt.:biggrin:
I thought you retired your persona because it got to 23K posts!

Shane Plays Darklands Retrospective

Darklands! The cult classic open-world RPG from 1992 that lets you adventure in the Holy Roman Empire during the 15th century… or rather, 15th Century Europe as people believed it to be at the time! Darklands broke a lot of CRPG ground, influenced, still has fans, and influenced games like Baldur’s Gate and the Elder Scrolls. Fellow fans Matt Wirkkala and Keith Hiorns join.

Darklands, what a great game!! Among the few that I tested back in the days when I lived in Maryland, such great times, and almost every new game released was worth playing. I'd love to see this one updated at some point, but even without that, it's a fine product, still fun and playable.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Update - Turn-based Combat Overview
When I joined the Owlcat Games team early in 2019, it was basically the job of my dreams: making a single-player role-playing game for PC without having to leave Russia? Until recently this could only be a dream! There was just one little drawback – I've always preferred turn-based combat games to all other genres, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker was designed as a game where battles occur in real time with a tactical pause. Oh well, all your dreams can't come true, right?

Wrong. When the issue of porting the game to consoles came up, we realized pretty fast that something had to be done about combat. Micromanaging the party in combat, particularly important at high complexity levels, is extremely difficult when you have a gamepad instead of a mouse and a keyboard. Of course, we could try to improve the artificial intelligence of the player's characters and make it customizable, but this didn't seem a good solution: we'd play AI programming, not Pathfinder.

Then we were lucky to find out that there was a mod that turned our game into a turn-based one, developed by one of our fans – the amazing, talented, and very dedicated Hsinyu Chan. We looked at the mod and agreed it was brilliant: the game transformed right in front of our eyes, and only for the better (if you like to sit and think about every move, that is). This ultimately tipped the scales in favor of officially adding a turn-based mode to our game.

We got the mod author's permission to use her code and began to implement it into the game. But it was only the groundwork. Although the mod was amazing, the author didn't have access to the game source code, so she had been constrained in what she could do. And after all, the requirements for a fan mod and for the official game’s functionality differ a great deal.
RPG Codex Pathfinder Kingmaker Review - RPG Codex
Flawed as it may be, Kingmaker is high enough in quality when it comes to core gameplay and content. My congratulations to Owlcat for making a rough diamond on their first try after many months of patches. While it has too many issues to be an indisputable classic, this is the game Neverwinter Nights 2 should have been, and the one Pillars of Eternity failed to be (even though PoE has better combat pacing even with all its encounters). It's too bad it goes overboard on combat to such a degree that it's the equivalent of two RPGs in one; I never want to play it again even though I'd normally want to try a different build and make different choices. Nevertheless, it's a must-play for any real-time-with-pause party-based fantasy RPG fan.

Event Horizon Games 9 minutes of Dark Envoy Gameplay

Dark Envoy Gameplay, including Story intro. First 2 hours of game condensed into 9 minutes. Set in a grim, dark world where technology fights with magic for dominance and racial divide leads to open conflict. Innovation on RPG-genre, party-based tactical combat and story where your choices matter the most.
Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen German Interview/Preview

It's in German you wouldn't understand.
Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Combat Beta Update #3
No info just a bunch of bullet points of what was fixed.

Back
Top Bottom