Divinity 2 - First German Review

Thinking about buying the german version (just need to change the subs to english in the registry)..

long time since i played a fantasy RPG + its not out until september in english :(

No,no,no, you must suffer !

Like all the others who get localized games only after several months !

;)

Is that so?

Just tried that and it did not work for me. While all the text in the main menu, options menus and also the character creation screen does indeed get changed to English by altering the registry setting, the game subsequently fails to start and hangs at the initial loading screen indefinitely. It doesn't really freeze or crash and the application/process Divinity2.exe keeps on running but it just doesn't progress from there. That's with version 1.01 by the way.
Could just be me though or maybe something else needs to be changed as well. I have no idea. Maybe bemushroomed can shed some more light on how to get it to work if it is at all possible.

you have to delete "Dialogs.dv2" file in "(Divinity 2 install directory)/Win32/Packed/" otherwise it will hang.

OK, that did it. Thank ya! :)

Edit: Well, I was able to play all the way through the opening area (Farglow) but the game once again hung at the loading screen of the next area. So do you have to delete even more files to advance past Farglow or what? :)
I also noticed an odd little difference between playing in German and in English. When I switched to English I all of a sudden got a lot more loot from the breakable chests and barrels than when I was playing the German version. I wonder if this is a bug of the German version or intentional because someone at Larian and/or dtp is thinking that the game will get better reviews internationally (UK/US) if there is more "phat lewt" to be found(?)... or maybe it's just a coincidence... but I played through the opening area with the German registry setting at least twice and only got loot from one or two containers each time while the English setting yielded loot for almost every container. Weird...
Anyway, I like the game much better in its original English version so I'll probably wait until the English version comes out in September before I will continue playing.

Last edited:
people are working on a language fix so yeah it seems like its only working in the starting area.

heh strange that you got better loot.

i played the gothic 2 expansion with fan-subs and german voices (took like a year + for an english release), didnt have a problem with that just as i have no problem watching german movies :) the voices are good..

but i think i'll wait too, its not even sure someone will make a fix (probably though).

or intentional because someone at Larian and/or dtp is thinking that the game will get better reviews internationally (UK/US) if there is more "phat lewt" to be found(?)...

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Not the tiniest bit.

I guess I'm dense, but I really can't get that to work...

Would you be so kind as to do a bullet-point walkthrough of getting German voice w. English subs? The thread you linked is pretty messy and some of the linked files are gone.

Would be really great.

Unpacker: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cu6bqm
Packer: http://www.sendspace.com/file/x8uyez
Renaming util: http://www.123renamer.com/download.htm

Im much to lazy to write my own guide, its pretty easy to find instructions from other forums.. Here you go:

"1) Unpack Dialogs.dv2 with the unpacker by dragging the .dv2 file on dv2_u.exe

2) Add a copy for each ...German.dialog file with English(US) instead of German in Win32\Characters\Dialogs\ folder, so the Dialogs folder contents will be:
A_AD_Deodatus.dialog
A_AD_DeodatusEnglish(US).dialog
A_AD_DeodatusGerman.dialog
and so on.
2.1) Renaming will be easier with this program.
2.2) You can also skip the part where you need to manually create copies by downloading this archive(200mb), extracting it, placing the extracted files in Dialogs folder and then replacing "English" in the filenames with "English(US)" using the utility above.

3) Make a copy of Sound\Soundbanks\Win32\German\ folder and change its name to English(US), thus having two different folders with the same contents.

4) Place the packer(dv2_pak.exe) in the root folder of any local partition. For example, E:\

5) Create a folder of any name on this partition(for example, E:\Empty) and place the Win32 and Sound folders in this newly created folder.

6) Run the Command Prompt and type:
E:

7) After that, without closing the commant prompt, type:
dv2_pak.exe -a Empty\ Dialogs.dv2

8] Go to game_folder\data\win32\packed, rename the original Dialogs.dv2 and place here the new Dialogs.dv2 you created.

9) In the registry (Start - Run - Regedit) go to this location. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Larian Studios\Divinity2]
(The WoW6432Node is only for 64-bit OS's, ignore it if you don't have such a OS.)

Change the language tag to "English(US)"

Another shorter instruction, maybe its better i dont know:

"1. Get the unpacker http://www.sendspace.com/file/cu6bqm
2. Copy the unpacker to the gamedir\data\win32\packed and drag Dialogs.dv2 to it.
3. After it has unpacked "Sounds" and "Win32" folders,go to sounds\soundbanks\Win32 and rename German to English(US).
4. Get this http://www.123renamer.com/download.htm so that you don't have to rename everything by hand. Start the program and go to Win32\Characters\Dialogs and just replace everything that has German to English(US).
5. Then use the packer http://www.sendspace.com/file/x8uyez
6. Take the newly modified "Sounds" and "Win32" that you unpacked to C:\ (I did it this way) and create a new folder for them...for example c:\new and add them to that folder.
7. Then copy the packer to c:\ and start the command prompt(cmd) and add the line like this "dv2_pak.exe -a New\ Dialogs.dv2"
8. After that's done,copy the new Dialogs.Dv2 to gamedir\data\win32\packed replacing the original.
9. Start regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\[KEYHERE](for me it was Wow6432NODE)\Larian Studios\Divinity2 and change "Language" to English(US)
10. Done. Very Happy"

This might not be liked by the moderators, please delete the secton below if so.. Its just the edited files/folders with new names and not the complete game, its still copyrighted material i guess, so im unsure if its "legal" to link this, i hope you're quick ;)

Sound-folder: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GL1DIPM3
Win32-folder: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5N6ZQI97

Last edited:
Damn! Thanks so very much! Too bad I have to work today (have to have to have to!)

I'm ok at German, but not the fantasy vocab, so I really would like subs and the original voice as the devs wanted it. Would be the best game experience imo.

Again - thanks a bundle - really looking forwards to trying this.

Edit: And just to be clear - this is the legal German version modded for subs. Nothing else.

This might not be liked by the moderators, please delete the secton below if so..

Edit: And just to be clear - this is the legal German version modded for subs. Nothing else.

Lar himself has answered in an discission - some people already demanded an English-language sub-forum at Larian's, although the "language-hacked" version of the game is totally unsupported by Larian:

Read the discussion here: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373250#Post373250

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth ... To me it is generating some kind of feeling like ... someone hacking a copy protection and demanding a support-subforum for that hacked version ...

This language thing puts Larian into an unpleasant position. People demand support for something that is basically hacked.

I don't know what to think about this.

(Apart from sounding too much like a fanboy already anyway ...)

Alrik, you are twisting the truth a bit here. The request was made so people are not spoiled by the spoiler information. The threads then could go to a place on their own. There is no support from Larian to be expected for any of these threads. Most of the time people ask questions for other gamers to respond to.

Also there is nothing illegal about it. All those who posted played with a legal German game, for which they altered some things to get the English language to show. It's just as legal as offering unofficial patches for games.

Erm I need major help,

I have managed to do all the steps that were above and read everthing everyone said.. but I still need help... when I get to the command promt bit it doesnt work, i just get a message saying "dv2_pak.exe " is not arecognized as a interntal or external command, operable program or batch file. I even tried repacking the folder by draging it on the packer, then replacing the div2 file.. didnt work, regedit didnt work either... and yes i did name the folder with win32 and sounds as Empty and it is in C: directory and thats where i am trying to run it... realllly stuck

Other random commands work such as ping and help and whatnot so i dont think theres anything wrong with my cmd, or maybe there is?

OK... so finally by some miraculous feat... it worked? I reinstalled it about 5 times and tried the same steps 5 times.... and it worked 5th time.... i moved the files to another directory ( wich i did before and didnt work) but it worked this time...

anyways.. YAY

Last edited:
Alrik, you are twisting the truth a bit here. The request was made so people are not spoiled by the spoiler information. The threads then could go to a place on their own. There is no support from Larian to be expected for any of these threads. Most of the time people ask questions for other gamers to respond to.

Also there is nothing illegal about it. All those who posted played with a legal German game, for which they altered some things to get the English language to show. It's just as legal as offering unofficial patches for games.

How do you do know they're playing with a Legal German Game?
They could have downloaded it.

Because those that did post about it stated they used a legal version. After that several others posted as well, I don't know if theirs is legal.

reply to Myrthos 's Thread, Vista users, remember to rightclick the unpacker, choose properties and check to allow the program to run as Administrator..

as it wont make the folders without it :)

sorry guys but the unpacker is not unpacking I drag and drop the file , dos screen pops up with the file names and so on like it is working but i get no folders

any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom